Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 14 August 2014, 20:41   #1

Length: 3m +
National Coastwatch to get CH65

So NCI have been allocated VHF CH65... from 1st October
NCI GRANTED DEDICATED VHF CHANNEL | National Coastwatch Institution

Any of you guys think you'd ever contact them? Are they the coastguard equivalent of ambulance chasers or do they actually serve a useful function...

Not quite sure what the calling procedure will be... CH16 or direct or either.

Appologies to the Scottish Rib.netters (and Irish?) who are deprived of such a valuable uniformed service ...
Old 14 August 2014, 20:46   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
So NCI have been allocated VHF CH65... from 1st October......Appologies to the Scottish Rib.netters (and Irish?) who are deprived of such a valuable uniformed service ...
No, but I think that it's a good thing. Having their own channel will spare them the indignity of having to hoof it down to the nearest Lifeboat Station to request a callout to boats stuck on sandbars...
Old 14 August 2014, 21:29   #3

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
No, but I think that it's a good thing. Having their own channel will spare them the indignity of having to hoof it down to the nearest Lifeboat Station to request a callout to boats stuck on sandbars...
Ouch
Old 14 August 2014, 22:27   #4

Ah but their declared facilities have always had the ability to use CH 0 with permission of the CG (not sure how they got that permission a it sounds like its call specific!!)

And any numnut with half a brain knows that to call a lifeboat you'd be better contacting the RNLI launch authority.
Old 14 August 2014, 22:50   #5

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
And any numnut with half a brain knows that to call a lifeboat you'd be better contacting the RNLI launch authority.
Hi I am a numnut with half a brain

Could you tell me how exactly how I am to contact my local RNLI Launch authority to "call a lifeboat" - is that the same as calling a taxi .

Quote:
If only there was some modern alternative... either that could bounce a message off a satelite to a base station rather than relying on someone watching out for a flare...anyone?
Is that question for real
Old 14 August 2014, 23:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribochet View Post
Hi I am a numnut with half a brain
Could you tell me how exactly how I am to contact my local RNLI Launch authority to "call a lifeboat" - is that the same as calling a taxi .
No. To get a free lift home from the pub you dial 101 round here. It doubles up as the Police Non-Emergency Number...

To get a lifeboat you dial 9-9-9 and ask for the Coastguard... and they do all the other bits for you - contacting the Launch Authority. Its a really good service, and it seems they are quite good at it (they even sometimes do it when there are some sailing dinghies capsized with a club safety boat alongside)... But you don't need to turn up at the lifeboat station in person or anything... customer service at its best.

"Dial 999 and ask for the coastguard" got a bit of a ring to it hasn't it.. ..I should suggest that to them for their next advertising campaign.

But dont dial 999 for a taxi - you just start the whole 999, 112 debate (
) about which number is better to call and then you get one of those taxis thats like a van with a dog cage in the back and they take you to a pretty poor quality hotel for the night with a bucket in the room instead of a toilet and no satellite TV.

Quote:
Is that question for real
Old 15 August 2014, 07:39   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
So NCI........
Who? sincerely, never heard of 'em
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2014, 08:15   #8

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Who? sincerely, never heard of 'em
If you forgive the pun, I'm in the same boat as you Dave.

I'm now fighting the old cynic inside that's telling me the rise of the voluntary NCI organisation (staffed by volunteers and funded by donations as I understand it?) uneeringly coincides with the closure of the Coastguard stations that were staffed by professionals and funded by the taxpayer until just recently.

I'll shut up now before it gets political.

Big Society

Call me 'Dave'
Old 15 August 2014, 08:22   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
If you forgive the pun, I'm in the same boat as you Dave.

I'm now fighting the old cynic inside that's telling me the rise of the voluntary NCI organisation (staffed by volunteers and funded by donations as I understand it?) uneeringly coincides with the closure of the Coastguard stations that were staffed by professionals and funded by the taxpayer until just recently.

I'll shut up now before it gets political.

Big Society

Call me 'Dave'
Actually they've been going for 20yrs since the first closures of cg lookouts.

I may be being unfair to them but it all comes across a bit dad's army meets neighbourhood watch!

That said if they had wider coverage they might? Be a better bet to lodge your passage plan with than cg as I suspect if you don't call in then they might actually do something.
Old 15 August 2014, 08:42   #10

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
No expense to the tax payer
A pair of eyes on constant watch with valuable contacts
Voluntarily maned & funded

It's reassuring to me

What's not to like
Old 15 August 2014, 08:53   #11

RIBase
Just had a quick head count, around 50 stations south of The Wash, 5 north. 1 station in the 250mile stretch of the East coast from the Humber to Berwick. Probably why I've never heard of them. Maybe they should change their name from NATIONAL to SOUTHERN coast watch
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 15 August 2014, 09:00   #12
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Quote:
Just had a quick head count, around 50 stations south of The Wash, 5 north. 1 station in the 250mile stretch of the East coast from the Humber to Berwick. Probably why I've never heard of them. Maybe they should change their name from NATIONAL to SOUTHERN coast watch
now now PD, you know we only just got electricty for the first time last week....
we can't get our coracles far enough out to sea for them to watch
Old 15 August 2014, 09:50   #13

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
They have a station located in a car park at Lee on the Solent. Always looks to be manned with guys looking through tripod mounted binos and telescopes. Never had cause to contact them but it’s kind of comforting to think that if I did have a problem they might spot me and raise the alarm.
Old 15 August 2014, 10:00   #14

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Likewise, there's several our way by Swanage (Durlston Head), St Alban's Head and the other side of Lyme Bay. I've certainly notice them being far more active on the radio this year than before. Often around here they are logging the dive boats in/out, taking routine traffic from sailing yachts, etc.. Most of the lookout stations have live weather equipment on them as well, so I have called them a couple of times this year to get an idea of conditions when we are tucked right in a harbour (e.g. Salcombe) and want to know what it's really like outside before we decide to set off on a long passage.
Old 15 August 2014, 10:33   #15

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22 View Post
Likewise, there's several our way by Swanage (Durlston Head), St Alban's Head and the other side of Lyme Bay. I've certainly notice them being far more active on the radio this year than before. Often around here they are logging the dive boats in/out, taking routine traffic from sailing yachts, etc.. Most of the lookout stations have live weather equipment on them as well, so I have called them a couple of times this year to get an idea of conditions when we are tucked right in a harbour (e.g. Salcombe) and want to know what it's really like outside before we decide to set off on a long passage.
Interesting. Will we be expected to keep a listening watch on both CH16 and CH65 when we're out on the water?

Will we be advised to radio check and lodge passage plans with both, remembering to advise both of safe arrival?

I'll need to plumb in another fixed VHF soon!

Dual watch on CH16 + CH65 plus monitoring port traffic on CH12 and one for communicating with the RIBnet posse on a cruise in company...
Old 15 August 2014, 12:46   #16

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
Interesting. Will we be expected to keep a listening watch on both CH16 and CH65 when we're out on the water?

Will we be advised to radio check and lodge passage plans with both, remembering to advise both of safe arrival?

I'll need to plumb in another fixed VHF soon!

Dual watch on CH16 + CH65 plus monitoring port traffic on CH12 and one for communicating with the RIBnet posse on a cruise in company...
IMVHO, when you start duplication of agencies & overlap of responsibilities the only result is confusion, tragedy & court cases. There's a lot to be said for a single point of contact. Unfortunately the (proper)CG has been cut back to a point where they are now an emergency service & only to be contacted as such. Personally I feel that the CG is not as approachable as it used to be, for routine traffic, radio checks etc. So now we have retired traffic wardens & council jobsworths playing lookout.
Purely my jaded cynical view, but hey!
Old 15 August 2014, 12:58   #17

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
IMVHO, when you start duplication of agencies & overlap of responsibilities the only result is confusion, tragedy & court cases. There's a lot to be said for a single point of contact. Unfortunately the (proper)CG has been cut back to a point where they are now an emergency service & only to be contacted as such. Personally I feel that the CG is not as approachable as it used to be, for routine traffic, radio checks etc. So now we have retired traffic wardens & council jobsworths playing lookout.
Purely my jaded cynical view, but hey!
Got that Spot on Fella!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2014, 13:41   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Quote:
Personally I feel that the CG is not as approachable as it used to be, for routine traffic, radio checks etc.
While sympathising with the thrust of the comments re the government cuts for the CG, I have to say that the local staff at Shetland Coastguard are still very approachable, diligent and friendly... And I'm sure they too share the same concerns re cutbacks that have already been stated.
Old 15 August 2014, 13:50   #19
RIBnet supporter

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
FYI some pics from the Stepper Point NCI lookout near Padstow. Seemed very friendly chap when I was having a look around... And 10/10 for putting a dog bowl out of fresh water each day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5910.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	97948   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5922.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	97949   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5912.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	97950   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5918.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	97951  
Old 15 August 2014, 14:23   #20

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Bitchy comments about Boris aside - So why do some think that a voluntary organsiation funded by dontations cant do good job and add value ?

Coastguard cliff rescue are I believe volunteers of and unless you happen to be very close to one RNLI station those big orange and blue floatythings are all volunteers ....................as are the independant lifeboats........

Just because people don't get paid doesn't mean they cant add value or provide a service.