Old 21 January 2014, 21:22   #1

Town: Near oswestry
Boat name: Billy may
Make: Tornado 5.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 yamaha
MMSI: 235109146
Narwhall rib

Hi chaps, got the chance of a 5m narwhall ,it's a project in good nick, any advise or comments about these ,good and bad!! Am I right to assume most will say keep the sr4 I've got? But I do struggle for space sometimes,is the weta 1m worth it?
Old 21 January 2014, 22:41   #2

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parr View Post
Hi chaps, got the chance of a 5m narwhall ,it's a project in good nick, any advise or comments about these ,good and bad!! Am I right to assume most will say keep the sr4 I've got? But I do struggle for space sometimes,is the weta 1m worth it?
Check the hull where the tubes join. Feel along the flat part of the underside of the tube.
The fiberglass breaks and you can feel it as a bump along the width of the black bit of the tube.

I had a narwhall nk400, which had early signs of this when I sold it.
But it is still going ok now but it's only having very light use.

Apparently I was told eventually you hit a big wave and the tubes fall off, obviously writing off the boat!
This is why narwhall went bust and out of business.
As I said. So I'm told!

Saying that my narwhall was great and it landed much softer than the SR4 over the swell.
Old 22 January 2014, 09:09   #3

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
never seen a narwhal with grp problems out of all of the ones we have retubed , but tubes do fall apart and become unglued from hull . every one I have spoken to that owned one thought they were good boats and worth the cost to retube
Old 22 January 2014, 09:30   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley View Post
never seen a narwhal with grp problems out of all of the ones we have retubed , but tubes do fall apart and become unglued from hull . every one I have spoken to that owned one thought they were good boats and worth the cost to retube
I only sold mine because on the port side there were two small 'bumps' that appeared on the portside where the tubes join as I described.
So I thought it best to sell it just incase and under advice from others.

I hope I didn't sell it for no reason because it was a great boat and handled anything I threw at it!
I loved it!

I sold it to a chap in Milford haven that only wanted it as a tender to get to his boat out on a trott mooring. He is still well happy with it!
Old 22 January 2014, 11:27   #5

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
sounds like the attachment strip starting to lift possibly nothing to do with grp , which is a very common problem with them , but as you said great boats
Old 22 January 2014, 11:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley View Post
sounds like the attachment strip starting to lift possibly nothing to do with grp , which is a very common problem with them , but as you said great boats
Yeah. But it was side to side going from the hull up towards the tubes the whole length of the black bit (which I assume is the attachment strip) and was about 5mm wide.

But I agree it was great!