Old 14 January 2018, 12:00   #21

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
MHB100 has done a lot of work on his Ballistic including sorting fuel / engine performance issuses - might be worth dropping him a pm.
Old 14 January 2018, 12:40   #22

Leakdown tests are asked to be done by Suzuki, how do I know? Their technical department told me about 2 years ago. It is only suzuki technical, what do they know! I hadn't heard of it until then either but I got it done and results sent back to them. I think the reason they do it is to give them an idea what to expect when it is stripped or if required.

Here is how it is how it is done https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-...-leakdown-test
Old 14 January 2018, 18:25   #23

Town: Sark
Boat name: Go Ballistico
Make: Naiad
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo Kad 44
Well the conversation on here has become a bit lively!!!

It is always difficult to know which answer is correct when you reach a crossroads like this, do you continue spending money or cut your losses and spend a bit more money and have a solution that will assure happy boating for a few more years. I am good with the decision to install a new (second hand engine) which the engineer know the history of.

Here is a few more details on the compression's:

The whole engine is down on compression; Ranging from 95PSI to 120PSI. the manual states that this engine should be between 156-242 PSI, with a maximum of 14PSI between highest and lowest cylinders - we are way out!!!

The engineer basically said he thinks that the engine may be coming up to the end of its serviceable life and past economical repair. Of course it could be repaired - It needs a new high-pressure fuel pump unit, be torn down and rebuilt with oversized pistons and new bearings throughout. This would mean sending the block and cylinder heads off for machining, while there the valve seats would be sorted also.

Many thanks to everyone for all the input.
Old 14 January 2018, 19:44   #24

That would certainly explain the poor running, 3400 hours isn't too shabby, just a pity none of them served you any good for a while.

Prop, gearbox, trim and tilt etc will all have some value to put towards your new engine perhaps?. May not be huge numbers due to the hours for some of the bits but your outboard guy may have an idea.

What is new engine you got? Maybe keep your current one for bits if the same.
Old 14 January 2018, 21:38   #25

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ballistico View Post
Well the conversation on here has become a bit lively!!!

It is always difficult to know which answer is correct when you reach a crossroads like this, do you continue spending money or cut your losses and spend a bit more money and have a solution that will assure happy boating for a few more years. I am good with the decision to install a new (second hand engine) which the engineer know the history of.

Here is a few more details on the compression's:

The whole engine is down on compression; Ranging from 95PSI to 120PSI. the manual states that this engine should be between 156-242 PSI, with a maximum of 14PSI between highest and lowest cylinders - we are way out!!!

The engineer basically said he thinks that the engine may be coming up to the end of its serviceable life and past economical repair. Of course it could be repaired - It needs a new high-pressure fuel pump unit, be torn down and rebuilt with oversized pistons and new bearings throughout. This would mean sending the block and cylinder heads off for machining, while there the valve seats would be sorted also.

Many thanks to everyone for all the input.
Yep I'd agree with your decision if compressions are down on all cylinders it's usually uneconomic to do rebores etc
Had it been 1 or 2 cylinders down then a rebuild might have been cost efective
Good luck with the new engine
What are you replacing With?
Old 15 January 2018, 17:41   #26

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
I would be tempted to get the heads and see exactly what the problem is if theres a lip on the bores and make my mind up from there if there isn't a big lip I would get the rings off and check the end gaps if I could get away with chucking a set of rings or even getting a set of oversize rings and filing them to fit relap the valves and bomb it all back together and run it the back firing sounds like a valve thats not seating properly or the valve clearances are too tight due to valve recession lets face it if your only gonna put 100hrs ish a year on it I would totally wing it
Old 15 January 2018, 21:08   #27

I will only be doing 100 - 150 hrs a year so the idea of 'winging it' does have appeal, I have committed to a new (second hand engine) but will mention some of the advice on here to the engineer.

I am not sure of the exact model but going for another Suzuki 250.
Old 15 January 2018, 21:12   #28

Town: Portsmouth
Quote:
I will only be doing 100 - 150 hrs a year so the idea of 'winging it' does have appeal, I have committed to a new (second hand engine) but will mention some of the advice on here to the engineer.

I am not sure of the exact model but going for another Suzuki 250.

Hope all goes well .and hope to see it on the Solent soon [emoji106]
Old 15 January 2018, 21:33   #29

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Every time I see an engine for sale tagged "fully rebuilt" I think....why the hell did it need rebuilt. Wear, abuse, neglect?

My cynical inclination is they've done what was needed to get it running and get rid of it.

There are so many old engines that just get routine servicing and go on and on that I'd rather have something older in original condition. Don't throw anymore money at it. The whole engine has been neglected or whatever, not just the bits that have actually failed.
Old 16 January 2018, 08:00   #30

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
From the photos one can tell that you have done a great job. Green is not my colour on a rib I think red or orange instead would have been a better choice with the black. The two forward jockey seats for sure "suicide seats" as nothing to hold on to . I do not like jockey seats where one has no back rest

For sure you will be visible and recognisable from a distance
Old 16 January 2018, 08:08   #31

My mates RIB has red seats and I wanted something different, looking through the material swatches green jumped out and I haven't seen many others.

You make a good point on the front jockies, they do have a backrest which may not be visible in the pics but it would be good to fit some sort of handle at the front of the jocky, any ideas where I can purchase front handles ? I have seen many ribs with them but can't find a place to buy them.

Many thanks
Old 16 January 2018, 08:38   #32

From the photos I can see that only one backrest for one person so the person in front has nothing to lean on and nothing to hold on. I guess this is because your seats open sideways . You should install a high front grab handle for the forward passenger something similar as on the attached photo . This grab handle is fixed to the front of the seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAA_3109.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	123159  
Old 16 January 2018, 09:04   #33

I agree a front handle is needed for the front passenger, do you have any idea where I can purchase such a handle?
Old 16 January 2018, 09:21   #34

Quote:
I agree a front handle is needed for the front passenger, do you have any idea where I can purchase such a handle?
sorry but cannot help you here
Old 16 January 2018, 09:45   #35

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
My mates RIB has red seats.............

If you go out together, you need to make sure he stays on your port side[emoji848]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 14:13   #36

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Try Rib Shop in Eastlands boat yard, if they cannot supply them that will tell you where to get them.
Old 17 January 2018, 09:06   #37

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Nugent is your man for screens

Thanx for the shout
I can match your template then spray to green reference if you so desire
Old 17 January 2018, 09:36   #38

My template is not perfect, I will give it another go over the weekend, making sure I match all the angles is bit of a nightmare. Where are you based? I could drop the template around and explain what I am trying to achieve. Spraying green will be perfect.
Old 23 January 2018, 19:05   #39

Town: Swindon
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 250 Yam 15
Looks like the same consul as my ballistic although mine is further forward with all jockeys behind. I have standard original screen. Your welcome to use it for a template. Boat is near Swindon.

Are you sure this is the 7.8m and not the 7.2m?. There have been a number with tank failures so I'd recommend you do a pressure test just to make 100% sure.

Mark
Old 24 January 2018, 11:10   #40
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhb100 View Post
Looks like the same consul as my ballistic although mine is further forward with all jockeys behind. I have standard original screen. Your welcome to use it for a template. Boat is near Swindon.

Are you sure this is the 7.8m and not the 7.2m?. There have been a number with tank failures so I'd recommend you do a pressure test just to make 100% sure.

Mark
It's an early 7.8. It's not built by Boating Dynamix-too early. May even be too early for a Mako build.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib