Old 11 June 2020, 14:21   #1

Town: São Paulo
Boat name: Bellatrix
Make: Flexboat
Length: 4m +
Engine: Evinrude 60hp
Moving from Brazil to UK with a 15ft RIB

Hi all,

I'm Robert and am happy to have found your forum. I will be moving to the UK in the next months and am assessing taking my 15ft RIB with me. It is a 2010 Brazilian built Flexboat SR15LX with a 2010 Evinrude ETEC 60hp outboard.

As you can imagine I have a ton of questions to help me decide on the viability of moving the boat. It is in great shape and worth only £3.000 in Brazil so it makes no sense to sell and get a replacement in the UK.

I use in in the sea, lakes and reservoirs and tow it around behind our car. I like to keep ownership costs low so it is parked on my driveway.

Key questions:

- Would I be able to register and legalize it in the UK? I believe it will pass BSS and am willing to make the necessary adjustments if need be. I'm allowed to import it with no taxes as I'm transferring residence into the UK.

- What is necessary to make my trailer street legal in the UK? It is in great condition and is street legal in Brazil. Total tow weight is 520 kg (210 from boat, 110 from engine and ~200 for the trailer)

- Can I legally keep the boat on my driveway (east sussex)? SAfe? How about parking on the road in front of the house if driveway has no room for a boat? Is it safe?

- Beyond insurance and waterway registration, do I need a license to pilot the boat at sea and inland?

- Is a 15ft RIB appropriate for exploring the coast and inland rivers and waterways? I envision towing it around the country and using it to explore around and have fun with the family. Is traveling around the country (post COVID) while towing a boat and staying at B&Bs a real thing or am I delusional?

Tks in advance for your hospitality and I look froward to meeting you on the water.

Robert
Old 11 June 2020, 15:23   #2

Old 11 June 2020, 15:23   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Hi Robert. Welcome. Sounds like an interesting adventure.

The good news is that all of what you are proposing to do is very easy in the UK, far more so than say importing a boat to the US or even elsewhere in Europe.

You've mentioned import duty/tax etc so obviously have that under control. Once you have the boat in the UK, it requires no further registration. The UK is in a tiny club of countries where there are very few rules and regulations which apply to private leisure boaters, so you could import your boat one day and the very next take it out on the sea. Similarly, there is no requirement to have any sort of licence for yourself although of course it is a good idea to get some additional training especially in a new country.

Inland waterways are a little different and most require a basic permit which costs a few pounds for a single day, or up to a few hundred for a year depending on where. Chances are you will end up buying day passes. Do you know yet which waterways you are looking at exploring?

You mention the BSS. This is generally only required for a year (or long term) permit to use inland waterways (day passes are exempt). So this probably isn't something you need to worry about. It isn't required at all for use on the sea.

As for keeping the boat on your driveway, many people do this. The only consideration is that in some neighbourhoods you are not allowed. Are you renting or buying a home? If renting, check with the rental agent or landlord. If buying, your solicitor will be able to answer this. The majority of driveways have no restrictions, but some (particularly in more recently built neighbourhoods) have restrictions. It's usually very safe to keep your boat on the driveway, similarly to keep your car on the street. (Of course make sure the boat and trailer is well secured).

As for making your trailer legal. Probably posting a photo will paint a better picture to help answering this one. Depending on the age it should in theory by type approved. Like the boat, it requires no additional licensing or registration. When you are towing, it essentially becomes part of your car and is covered by your car registration and insurance (the trailer will display a duplicate of your car number plate). You will probably have to change the hitch from a 2 inch (assuming it's the American type) to a 50mm which is the law here. You'll also need to buy a trailer light board but these are only about £30 from ebay or similar.

Good luck!
Old 11 June 2020, 15:45   #4

Tks for your information Tim!

Attached are images of the trailer. In Brazil it is registered as an independent vehicle, has its own license plate and requires annual registration fees. Great to hear the UK is bureaucracy free in this matter.

Beyond the sea coast, I envisioned exploring the waterways of the Canal & River Trust and possibly areas of the Thames (non inner city). Is a small RIB appropriate for travel along these waterways? It could be a combination of multi-day travel on water, hopping from stop to stop and also land based travel with day outings on the water.

Best regards,
Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1598d50c-68d5-4e5e-9439-c436bcf75100.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	133505   Click image for larger version

Name:	18afd968-cdc1-4a75-a742-0114a7005fef.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	133506  
Old 12 June 2020, 14:45   #5

Just checked and the hitch in Brazil is 50mm so all good on that. Had the trailer refurbished in 2017 and got new light plates so that should be good to go too.

I'm just checking on Brazilian legislation regarding exporting the boat with my personal belongings and it seems if that is a go then it will make sense to have my long time companion with me to explore the UK waterways.

Looking forward to that!
Old 12 June 2020, 15:22   #6

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
These days you may need to pass a test to allow you to tow a trailer - In the UK those that passed a driving test prior to the end of 1996 have 'grandfather rights' to tow, those with licences since need a licence unless the trailer is under a certain weight - I have a feeling it maybe be 750Kg in which case you will be fine but others will know for sure.
Old 12 June 2020, 15:35   #7

Tks. I read up on that and 750kg is the limit for the post 1997 Category B licenses. A bigger boat will require B+E with specific testing.
Old 12 June 2020, 20:58   #8

Town: Wirral
Make: honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp outboard
Hi Robert and welcome
so far as i know you'll have no trouble importing the boat and keeping it on your driveway, i've lived all over the UK and always had boats parked at home over the last 35 years, however certain rented accommodation may be different, but i doubt very much that you will get any objections, however i would make provision for security as people can be keen on borrowing boats and especially outboard engines!
The first thing you need to invest in is some foul weather gear and a proper winter wetsuit too.
good luck with the move
if you have space in a container i'd bring a couple of extra craft to sell as they definitely cost a lot more here, and as for VW beetles (aircooled)...you'll make a fortune!
best of luck

Tags
rib