Old 17 April 2022, 08:48   #1

Town: Blackpool
Length: 4m +
Mounting Smart Tabs

Hi, I want to install smart tabs on my Zodiac Pro 420, but the transom angles outwards, as shown in the photos, so wondering whether smart tabs are suitable for my rib or not. Thanks is advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2839 5.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	140277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2844.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	140278   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2840.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	140279  
Old 17 April 2022, 09:40   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: ORCA III
Make: XS500
Engine: Mercury 60hp
looks as though you won`t have room to fit properly,
why do you need them.
Old 17 April 2022, 09:46   #3

I'm trying to fix the excessive bow rise at low speed
Old 17 April 2022, 10:01   #4

Town: Poole
Boat name: ORCA III
Make: XS500
Engine: Mercury 60hp
silly question really but have you moved weight forward,you might be able to fit tabs next to tubes. need to measure.
have you thought of fins on o/board.
Old 17 April 2022, 16:43   #5

It’s the standard setup with battery under the bench seat and fuel tank in the console, but perhaps I should consider moving these forward. I haven’t tried a fin either. Thank you
Old 19 April 2022, 00:08   #6

Town: Dixon
Boat name: "H8 2 Swim"
Make: monaco yachtsman
Engine: OB
Add a Dohl-fin and/or a Hydro-Shield (hydroshield.com). I have both and get significant improved performance, quick hole shot, and quick plane to top speed. Additionally the hydro-shield protects your prop from fouling and strikes.
Old 19 April 2022, 22:13   #7

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
+1 for adding doelfins to the engine.
Made a massive difference to the problems I had with my Avon A400 with a 40HP Merc.
It was weight heavy at the rear - fuel tank & battery.
I also added 20kg of old lead flashing to the bow locker, but if you can get performance / balance without loading weight that is good.
Old 19 April 2022, 22:42   #8

I strongly recommend against adding weight to a boat in order to balance. Not the correct answer or solution. Shift weight or add a lightweight performance enhancer. If you are operating boat alone, then no ability to get folks to sit up front to balance out. Every boat should come to plane quickly with the right prop, right power, right balance. Sometimes you have to change 1 to all 3 in order to achieve. Try the Dohl-fin and hydro-shield first. Then look at prop adjustment. Just for giggles you can play with weight, but you might be underpowered in fin and prop don't fix it without adding bow weight.
Old 20 April 2022, 09:49   #9

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Permatrim is another option.
Got one on my dory.
Basically a big piece of ally bolted to the top of the cavitation plate which probably wouldn't be too difficult to get made by a local engineering/metal working company. Side edges are bent down at 90deg to the flat top.
www.permatrims.com
Fitting guide here, which will give you a better idea of what they look like.
www.permatrims.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=106
Old 21 April 2022, 03:23   #10

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
I'd leave the smart tabs in their box. I recently tried them on my rib to try and lift the stern a bit. Didn't work and contrary to claims they did not make any improvement to any characteristic of the boat. Wish I'd never bought or installed them. Left me with plenty of holes in the transom to carefully seal and fill.
Old 21 April 2022, 09:29   #11

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
You might squeeze a benette slt set slightly to the outer flat sides but speaking from experience my zodiac 550 was the first boat Ive owned that didn't benefit from trim tabs.

Like others have mentioned a fin on the engine is an option but also a 4 blade prop will also give stern lift among other improvements.
Old 21 April 2022, 15:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
I'd leave the smart tabs in their box. I recently tried them on my rib to try and lift the stern a bit. Didn't work and contrary to claims they did not make any improvement to any characteristic of the boat. Wish I'd never bought or installed them. Left me with plenty of holes in the transom to carefully seal and fill.
Respectfully, I and many others would disagree regarding smart tabs or trim tabs. When properly installed on your transom, and with the right type, strength/resistance and length, they most definitely WILL make a difference. There has been a significant amount of good recommendations in this thread already.

I have tabs, hydro-foil (Dohl-Fin), and the Hydro-Shield. My prop is protected by the hydro-shiled from rock, reef, and bottom strikes, and my center console 14 foot deep V RIB zips across the water with a 40hp motor, 2 guys, and a lot of gear at about 28knots.
Old 21 April 2022, 21:16   #13

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
To save further confusion my post above relates to "Smart Tabs" as thus:

https://nauticusinc.com/products/smart-tabs-sx/

I'm sure they may work on other vessels / applications. I just found they didn't work for me. I believe this is what the OP was originally making reference to? In fact within a few short trips mine started to fracture and break apart so I removed them and the supplier sent them back for a refund. They were the correct size / rating for my boat and HP and fitted exactly as per manufacturer instructions. I had to send evidence of this for claiming the refund.
Old 22 April 2022, 09:56   #14

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
To save further confusion my post above relates to "Smart Tabs" as thus:

https://nauticusinc.com/products/smart-tabs-sx/

I'm sure they may work on other vessels / applications. I just found they didn't work for me. I believe this is what the OP was originally making reference to? In fact within a few short trips mine started to fracture and break apart so I removed them and the supplier sent them back for a refund. They were the correct size / rating for my boat and HP and fitted exactly as per manufacturer instructions. I had to send evidence of this for claiming the refund.
I fitted those to one of my boats which did improve its handling and overall performance. However I did have issues where the plastic bolts broke and went with the Benett version on a few other boats after that one but like I said my zodiac was the first boat they didn't make any improvements on. On my zodiac I had the complete opposite effect to all the things they are meant to improve .
Old 22 April 2022, 14:24   #15

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Have seen a mates Ribcraft 6.8m which was an unusual free flowing deck design (rather than bilges) and had zipwakes fitted. Seems to do a good job of trimming out the boat

Occasionally I think about getting them and then think I am overthinking it as mine seems to trim out fine

I know Maximum has trim tabs on his 6.8m, PikeyDave on his 5.45m not sure if these and the zipwakes are the same thing as smart tabs?

Guess I will learn in a bit…
Old 22 April 2022, 21:08   #16

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Dont know for sure but i investigated "smart tabs " but unlike the systems of other members you refer too ,smart tabs have no abiliy to trim from helm and are basically flat plates mounted on like a shock absorber so compressing the shock is about speed and diverting hull flow accordingly ,no electrical actuation involved
https://seamarknunn.com/cgi-bin/sh00...2ehtml#SID=711
Old 23 April 2022, 11:16   #17

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoped View Post
Hi, I want to install smart tabs on my Zodiac Pro 420, but the transom angles outwards, as shown in the photos, so wondering whether smart tabs are suitable for my rib or not. Thanks is advance.

Unfortunately smart tabs will not mount on all boats. Some years of the Zodiac Pro 420 that you have are on of them. Sold and installed dozens of sets of them back when i worked at Defender and almost no complaints and always made some improvement.
Also having run many many zodiacs it sounds like yours may be a weight placement issue. The Zodiac Pro 420’s always ran fantastic with no need to trim tabs or foils. That being said we always sold those with Yamahas or ETEC, and a few Hondas. I never ran one with a Mercury.
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote