Old 10 August 2014, 20:16   #1

Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
motor size for an 18' zodiac?

I recently bought an 18' zodiac MarkIII. I hope to be able to store this boat deflated and transport it that way as well. Thus im looking for a motor that i can carry. My concern is getting to small of a motor and having a giant slug of a boat. Is a 30HP big enough to push this boat with two guys and gear?
Thanks for your time.
Old 10 August 2014, 21:32   #2

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
30HP should be fine (4 stroke?)

Lifting anything bigger on and off regulary will hard work if you can or use 2 strokes where you are (limited in the US there are some light weight 2 strokes with more guts but once you go past 25/30HP your into 3 cyclinder engines and 65kg+ (150lbs)

yamaha do a 40HP at 72KG about the beefiest 2 cylinder http://www.yamahamarineservice.com/P...gin_40xmhs.htm

Have a look here
http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/zodiac-...-hd-15372.html
Old 11 August 2014, 00:50   #3

Thanks. I don't know if the boat will see water this year as fall is just around the corner but want to be ready for spring bear season.
Old 13 August 2014, 11:38   #4

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Zodiac

Do you know exactly which model you purchased? A mark 3( grand raid, Futura) would be a 15' model and a Mark 4( Heavy Duty) would be an 18' model. They also have different hull styles and there is a significant difference in the weight between the two sizes depending upon the model. We recently rigged up a Mark 5 with a Yamaha 40hp and I was rather impressed with how well she went along. By myself the boat planed without issue and handled quite well. I have also rigged many Mark 3 grand Raids with Evinrude 30's and they go very well with that power pushing them.
Old 13 August 2014, 18:41   #5

I'm not exactly sure what the model is. It's what I call an LGB, large grey boat. It's grey, 18 foot, inflatable keel, aluminum floor and rated for up to a 65 horse. I'm not near the boat so I can't tell you much more. Thanks for your info. I'll have more info once I get back home.