Old 31 May 2007, 19:03   #1

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
Motor Boats Monthly. Irresponsible??

I have just read, reread, and read again an article in the June 2007 edition of Motor Boats Monthly and I am less than impressed. The article is on page 27 and is about a Ribquest 6.3m on a long term test.

The article states that the magazine took delivery of the rib two days before a shakedown cruise of 80nm accross the English Channel and to quote MBM 'accross some of the busiest shipping lanes in the world'.

Again to quote: As it turned out, we needn't have worried.....

Well it worries me and it clearly worried them, that a journal would even suggest that a shakedown cruise of 80 nm accross the channel would be appropriate to anyone with a two day old boat, let alone to the writers of a magazine which could be read by many inexperienced people who might think it is OK to set off accross the channel with a new boat and outboard! I wouldn't dream of it. Maybe I am cautious, but so many items shake lose, break, disconnect etc over the first few hours of use! In fact, again, to quote: 'the radio and passenger grab handle were items that needed regular retightening after every long trip!

Anothe issue seems to be a leaking fuel tank. The magazines solution was to 'not fill the tank'. What happens in a force seven???

Am I being picky? I don't think so. Someone out there has a second hand rib with an internal fuel leak!

Again, to quote the magazine: And on a petrol boat, leaking fuel is to be avoided like a sneeze in a crash helmet.

I would love to hear what other ribbers think of this article!

Tony
Old 31 May 2007, 19:12   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Didn't see anything wrong with it.

Then again I brought my new RIB back from Guernsey and it was the very 1st time I had even been on it.

Took plenty of safety gear and a tool kit. Would have been nice to have taken the spare Icom M1V hand held but it seemed to have "vanished" - STOLEN I call it!!!

To be honest the crossing was a bit of an anti climax after dealing with the git of a boatbuilder and his cronies......
Old 31 May 2007, 19:45   #3

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Where's your sense of adventure gone?...Robin Knox-Johnstone went round the world in the 60's on his own with not much more than a fag packet and a bottle of rum and now people go into a flat spin about crossing an 80nm stretch of water in a rib driven by experienced crew, with the correct safety kit and in the company of other boats but that "might" not have been put through its paces rigourously before hand...no wonder this country's going down the pan.
Old 31 May 2007, 19:55   #4

I don't remember anything in the article to suggest safety equipment or company??

All valid points if they are encouraging sensible boating!
Old 31 May 2007, 20:04   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABS View Post
I don't remember anything in the article to suggest safety equipment or company??

All valid points if they are encouraging sensible boating!
Well they would have been in company as it was a cruise in company that MBM organise. The rib is there to be the organisers boat in case anyone else needs help, herding, etc... ...so I assume it is well equipped. I also suspect that "their concerns" are a little "journalistic license".

Out of interest how many miles should you do before your boat has been shaken down?

EDIT: the fuel tank bit is a little more concerning...
Old 31 May 2007, 20:10   #6

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Everlong
Make: Botnia Targa 27
Engine: Volvo KAD44
Time Flies was used as a safety boat for MBM cruises with at least a dozen other boats in the flotillas organised by the mag and all the pics I've seen of her show her and the crew ticking all the boxes in terms of kit...either way, whoever bought a boat (especially a rib) to be sensible - safe yes, but sensible?!
Old 01 June 2007, 02:42   #7

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Didn't see anything wrong with it.

Then again I brought my new RIB back from Guernsey and it was the very 1st time I had even been on it.

Took plenty of safety gear and a tool kit. Would have been nice to have taken the spare Icom M1V hand held but it seemed to have "vanished" - STOLEN I call it!!!

To be honest the crossing was a bit of an anti climax after dealing with the git of a boatbuilder and his cronies......
Cod... be truthful now, doesn't the alleged nefarious reputation of the dealer of your particular watercraft give you pause, reason for concern regarding the build quality of your boat? This is an honest question, I am in no way attempting to denigrate your Prosport rib.
Old 01 June 2007, 08:15   #8

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
yes JABS, I'm afraid you do seem to have no sense of adventure and caught this dreadfull 'elf & safety bug that appears to be sweeping the country.
Old 01 June 2007, 09:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw View Post
yes JABS, I'm afraid you do seem to have no sense of adventure and caught this dreadfull 'elf & safety bug that appears to be sweeping the country.
Nothing could be further from the truth! You only have to meet me to understand my attitude to life.

In this article there is no mention of any company on the trip, safety equipment or experience. My point is that anyone could go out and buy a rib and think it was safe to blast over to the CI's.

Do you really think that is sensible??

And what about the fuel leak?? Am I overcautious not to want fuel swimming around in a hull void, I don't think so!
Old 01 June 2007, 09:41   #10

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Length: 5m +
Engine: OMC Mod50
i heard it was called the wuss bug,as in wussy
Old 01 June 2007, 13:18   #11

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
Old 01 June 2007, 13:21   #12

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
Cod... be truthful now, doesn't the alleged nefarious reputation of the dealer of your particular watercraft give you pause, reason for concern regarding the build quality of your boat? This is an honest question, I am in no way attempting to denigrate your Prosport rib.
I am more than happy with the boat - he actually took pride in his work - shame he was a crook!!!