Old 06 February 2013, 09:51   #61

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Solveig Xpress
Make: Grand
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury
Not all boats that break down sink, likewise not all cars that breakdown crash or require rescue, so I fail to see your point there?

Yes Darwin theory works but what about the poor buggers that risk their lives to save those idiots?

Would you be happy to let people wanting to join the Darwin awards on the roads too in cars...maybe hurt one of your family members?

I personally hate red tape, but if it means overall users of waterways are safer then its not strictly a bad idea.

Those that it puts off boating maybe cannot afford / don't have the attitude to be responsible boaters in the first place.

Common sense left the building years ago, replaced by Lawyers that advertise no win no fee that makes government restrictions on certain aspects of our lives necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeoutboards View Post
Even as someone who would do well out of this the answer is no

Darwins law i.e. stupid people have a right to be stupid and if the die being stupid they will live for ever on a few websites:

all the red tape: yee gods man, my life would be hell, cars dont sink when they break down so can you imagine how may forms we would need to fill in to keep the government happy about what we have done and why it was done and who checked it etc.

what about advisories? how would these work

how many people would it put off boating?

I also feel we have to many rules. what ever happened to common sense and taking responsibility for your actions?

If you want to get your boat checked to any level you can do that today so why force people to do it?

Dave
Old 06 February 2013, 09:56   #62

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterthelight View Post
Have you guys forgotten our history?

We Brits for ever and ever have always had rights to freely go to sea in whatever we wish with the very minimum of rules and regulations. This is almost written in stone and must never be lost.

The thought of another bunch of Civil Servants policing us and our boats cannot be considered.

Peterthelight
Well said
Old 06 February 2013, 10:08   #63

Town: Nuremberg
Boat name: November
Make: Avon Searider 4M
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55
MMSI: 211748930
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post

I personally hate red tape, but if it means overall users of waterways are safer then its not strictly a bad idea.
It isn't the boats that make Waterways unsafe, its the Boaters... Most accidents i have witnessed(or been there to help) have been caused by someone unsensibly ignoring speed limits, depth limits, etc...
I have no idea how that is in Britain, but most of those had a license too..

Searider+Yamaha+Land Rover= :D :D
Mextli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2013, 10:31   #64

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
OK....He asked the Question...AND Got the Answer!..
Which I reckon was (For Ribnet!) Resounding A....NO!!..NON!!..NEICT!!.. UH..UH!! !! NEGATORY!!.. and for Kerny..NINE!!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2013, 10:57   #65

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
Not all boats that break down sink, likewise not all cars that breakdown crash or require rescue, so I fail to see your point there?

Yes Darwin theory works but what about the poor buggers that risk their lives to save those idiots?

Would you be happy to let people wanting to join the Darwin awards on the roads too in cars...maybe hurt one of your family members?

Those that it puts off boating maybe cannot afford / don't have the attitude to be responsible boaters in the first place.
Its a stupid idea IMO.

1: there is not a huge problem in the first place so there is no real need.
2: the cost and hassle would put people off and the boating population is ageing here so that would just mean even less boaters.
3: Red tape
4: See Peterthelights post.
5: Most accidents are due to human error and not the boats fault so again of the very few problems the percentage that this would help is tiny.
6: There are idiots on the roads and yes Darwin takes a few every year but this again is human error and not the cars that have MOT's so how would forcing MOT's on boats help?
7: you can not force anyone to be sensible

Dave
PS I lost my mum in a car crash by an idiot who won a darwin award oh and he had an MOT
Old 06 February 2013, 10:57   #66

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
We better close this thread, the RYA might get wind of it, then we wouldn't be able to fart with out permission first
Old 06 February 2013, 11:02   #67

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
OK....He asked the Question...AND Got the Answer!..
Which I reckon was (For Ribnet!) Resounding A....NO!!..NON!!..NEICT!!.. UH..UH!! !! NEGATORY!!.. and for Kerny..NINE!!

Perhaps ze Schweinhund should be sent to Stalag RIBnet for asking das stupid question. Zo!! zen for him zee Red Tape War vuld be over.
Old 06 February 2013, 12:20   #68
Dhf

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterthelight View Post
Have you guys forgotten our history?

We Brits for ever and ever have always had rights to freely go to sea in whatever we wish with the very minimum of rules and regulations. This is almost written in stone and must never be lost.

The thought of another bunch of Civil Servants policing us and our boats cannot be considered.

Peterthelight
Exactly!! this'll do the job if necccessarry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crazy boatbike.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	76349  
Old 06 February 2013, 13:55   #69

I know its hijacking
But
IMHO I do not care if some idiot puts themselves in danger by going out in a colander. I remember some guy (in a 40 footer) hailing us near the Needles and asking the way to Lymington. I asked to see his chart, he said he only had a tea towel with the Isle of Wight on it! Deservesvwhat he gets.

But I DO mind if the same guy stands me into danger by his stupidity or lack of knowledge.

So I vote for a boating licence that can be taken away if necessasry. I also suggest all fuel bunkers, berthing masters, slip supervisors etc, ask to see the licence.

This would make me safer in exchange for what I think of as a minor inconvenience. You know that most of you guys know most of it anyway, do you think the majority of jet skiers know it, or have even heard of it?

I just cannot comprehend how we allow someone who has never been on a boat before to take out a 40 foot cruiser with 1000 HP into the middle of the Solent on a bank holiday weekend. Be honest, you've all seen him!

Ian W
Old 06 February 2013, 14:38   #70

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
You are we have all seen him. But with a little knowledge it might not be me towing him back
Old 06 February 2013, 14:49   #71
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Whisper, you're a bad man for stirring the sandpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
No no - it was a perfectly innocent question. I was not bored and/or mischievous
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
oh yeah sure...
Old 06 February 2013, 15:00   #72

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.i.wilson View Post
I know its hijacking
But
IMHO I do not care if some idiot puts themselves in danger by going out in a colander. I remember some guy (in a 40 footer) hailing us near the Needles and asking the way to Lymington. I asked to see his chart, he said he only had a tea towel with the Isle of Wight on it! Deservesvwhat he gets.

But I DO mind if the same guy stands me into danger by his stupidity or lack of knowledge.

So I vote for a boating licence that can be taken away if necessasry. I also suggest all fuel bunkers, berthing masters, slip supervisors etc, ask to see the licence.

This would make me safer in exchange for what I think of as a minor inconvenience. You know that most of you guys know most of it anyway, do you think the majority of jet skiers know it, or have even heard of it?

I just cannot comprehend how we allow someone who has never been on a boat before to take out a 40 foot cruiser with 1000 HP into the middle of the Solent on a bank holiday weekend. Be honest, you've all seen him!

Ian W
That's why we ALREADY have Insurance!!...£3,000,000 Mandatory Third Party at most of the places I lauch!.. AND remember, Our All-encompassing British Law DOES NOT Finish at the Low Water Mark!... (Although...Lets Hope this thread Has!) Just how much Cotton Wool do you want to be Wrapped up in!?
More Legislation in my view is seldome the answer! New Labour already Tried that! with more Stautes in thier Tenure,THAN IN THE PREVIOUS CENTURY!..Where as education, and ENFORCEMENT!! of present rules OFTEN IS.
Finis.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2013, 15:11   #73

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Boat Mot and tax is the only way to go!! eh Alex
Old 06 February 2013, 15:40   #74

Town: plymouth
Boat name: seaSharp
Make: ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard 115hp
As Biffer has said, maybe it's time to close this thread, nuff said.

But one final thought -- Look at the stats, it is not a big problem, legislation would be a gross overkill.

Peterthelight