Boat name: Black Hawk
Make: Osprey Vipermax 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Etec 200 HO
MMSI: 235114488
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Hi Jeff

Have spoken to power tech who suggest I try raising the engine a notch or 2 and then try some fast tight turns ( as fast as I dare) Apparently as soon as the engine starts to cavitate in a tight turn you have the right engine height. This should bring the revs up, but most likely I will also need a 19" pitch SST prop for an Osprey 5.85 to hit the 6000 rev sweet spot! Powertech reckon I should get 40-41knts max but beyond that will compromise performance in the poor weather! Will try and raise the engine a notch!!

Cheers

Johnny
Old 01 December 2014, 10:30   #22

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
hi jonny

that makes sense suppose that's why hydraulic jacking plates are used to give that vertical trim for optimum performance.

good luck

cheers jeff
Old 29 December 2014, 08:21   #23

Town: Chester
Here's the update - looked at the engine height on the transom which seemed perfect with the cavitation plate bang in line with the keel. So bought a Solas HR3 SST 13.7/8" x 19" prop. Fitted it yesterday and had the WOT revs up to 6100 and managed to get her up to 40.1knts but consistently 39.5! Pleased but think I might try raising the engine a notch just to see what happens.

Thanks for all of the advice!
Old 29 December 2014, 13:10   #24

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
I had similar issues with a Suzuki DF 140 on a Humber Ocean Pro 6.3 and ended up with the same prop and top speed as you are now achieving. Don't expect to replicate speeds being achieved by other manufacturer's 150 hp outboards (or even Suzis DF150) as the DF 140 is believed to only produce circa 126 bhp at the prop. Nonetheless, it is a fantastic engine, light and very economical.....enjoy.
Old 29 December 2014, 13:13   #25

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
I had similar issues with a Suzuki DF 140 on a Humber Ocean Pro 6.3 and ended up with almost the same prop and identical top speed as you. Don't expect to replicate speeds being achieved by other manufacturer's 150 hp outboards (or even Suzis DF150) as the DF 140 is believed to only produce circa 126 bhp at the prop. Nonetheless, it is a fantastic engine, light and very economical.....enjoy.
Old 29 December 2014, 16:43   #26

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMW View Post
Here's the update - looked at the engine height on the transom which seemed perfect with the cavitation plate bang in line with the keel. So bought a Solas HR3 SST 13.7/8" x 19" prop. Fitted it yesterday and had the WOT revs up to 6100 and managed to get her up to 40.1knts but consistently 39.5! Pleased but think I might try raising the engine a notch just to see what happens.

Six knots from a prop change is pretty good!
Worth trying the engine height while you're messing about I suppose but that IS a good gain....is new the prop SS or another Ally?

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2014, 16:57   #27

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Hi Jeff

Apparently as soon as the engine starts to cavitate in a tight turn you have the right engine height.
Go careful on that one. A notch too high and a handful of helm and she'll hook like hell.

You're already now pretty close to the best that combo is gonna achieve.
Old 29 December 2014, 17:03   #28

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Six knots from a prop change is pretty good!
Astonishing. Either it was a previously prop'd as a tug, or someone chucked a random on to get rid.
Old 29 December 2014, 20:33   #29

Town: Wirral
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Etec
Quote:

I would give it a go, I think the shape of the hull also plays a part, with a deep V the cav plate can be higher than the bottom of the hull.
Mine is about 1 1/2 inches above but cannot go any lower without cutting.
I suffer a bit of cavitation when turning tight but can live with it as it runs very well otherwise. I will have a tinker with props when I get hold of a couple.
My setup is 5.1m, 90 ETEC with a 13 1\4 X 17 prop, had 3 adults today and managed flat out 36mph at 4600 revs.
Any views on this setup?
Thanks in advance.
Old 29 December 2014, 21:04   #30

When I spoke to Powertech they suggested a 19" pitch SST prop. They also suggested increasing the engine height 1 or 2 notches and then doing some tight turns as fast as you dare - apparently as soon as you start to get cavitation you're at the right height so it sounds like you've got it just right! I forgot the tight turn bit this weekend but next time I'm out I'll give it a whirl. Powertech said the max speed I would get would be 40-41knts so maybe I there already!!

I daren't tell the wife I need a bigger boat with a bigger engine just yet :-)

Anyway have 2 Suzuki props that are now redundant, both Aluminium 14", one 21" and the other 23" pitch - so if anyone interested?
Old 30 December 2014, 11:02   #31

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Duplicate post
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2014, 11:03   #32

RIBase
Duplicate post, "Database error" grrrr!
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 30 December 2014, 11:10   #33

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newto View Post
I would give it a go, I think the shape of the hull also plays a part, with a deep V the cav plate can be higher than the bottom of the hull.
Mine is about 1 1/2 inches above but cannot go any lower without cutting.
I suffer a bit of cavitation when turning tight but can live with it as it runs very well otherwise. I will have a tinker with props when I get hold of a couple.
My setup is 5.1m, 90 ETEC with a 13 1\4 X 17 prop, had 3 adults today and managed flat out 36mph at 4600 revs.
Any views on this setup?
Thanks in advance.
If you are only getting 4600rpm at WOT, you are way over propped. You need to see another 1000rpm. That prop looks a bit steep for that rig, I would have thought a 15" tops, which should gain you another 400 rpm, even then you'd be borderline.
Old 30 December 2014, 13:20   #34

Town: Fareham
Quote:
When I spoke to Powertech they suggested a 19" pitch SST prop. They also suggested increasing the engine height 1 or 2 notches and then doing some tight turns as fast as you dare -
You don't have to do "fast" tight turns to check for cavitation during turns. Set your trim at the usual level (trimmed out) and set a course at say 20kt's then do a starboard and port progressive hard turn. As your RIB tilts over it'll lift the prop towards the surface. If you suffer with no cavitation I would lift one hole and try again until you start to lose grip in the turn (engine revs rise and speed drops off). You might find that either Port turns or Starboard turns suffer more more from cavitation than the other. This is because your outboard is probably off-set to port or starboard depending on whether you have a CW or CCW rotating gearbox.

Once cavitation is experienced I would then try the turn again at the same speed but with the engine trimmed in. If you can turn without cavitation and loss of grip then I would say that you're pretty much at the height you want to be at. If you are still suffering with cavitation I would go down a hole and stick with that.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2014, 19:44   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
You don't have to do "fast" tight turns to check for cavitation during turns. Set your trim at the usual level (trimmed out) and set a course at say 20kt's then do a starboard and port progressive hard turn. As your RIB tilts over it'll lift the prop towards the surface. If you suffer with no cavitation I would lift one hole and try again until you start to lose grip in the turn (engine revs rise and speed drops off). You might find that either Port turns or Starboard turns suffer more more from cavitation than the other. This is because your outboard is probably off-set to port or starboard depending on whether you have a CW or CCW rotating gearbox.

Once cavitation is experienced I would then try the turn again at the same speed but with the engine trimmed in. If you can turn without cavitation and loss of grip then I would say that you're pretty much at the height you want to be at. If you are still suffering with cavitation I would go down a hole and stick with that.

I was thinking I should try raising one hole to see what happens thanks for the advice. I've noticed with the Vipermax that the rear end of the tubes sit quite low on the water, pretty much up to the rubbing strake even when moving at 20knts. Is this unusual or is this another indication that the engine is too low?
Old 30 December 2014, 21:16   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
If you are only getting 4600rpm at WOT, you are way over propped. You need to see another 1000rpm. That prop looks a bit steep for that rig, I would have thought a 15" tops, which should gain you another 400 rpm, even then you'd be borderline.
Yes i did think that as the spec says 5000-5500 for this motor, I did have 3 adults onboard and 70l fuel but I will try and drop to a 15, I was just not sure to buy one or try and lend one. I plan on taking the kids out in the summer on a donut so would you think a 15 would be ok for this?
Cheers!
Gary
Old 30 December 2014, 22:08   #37

RIBase
Quote:
Yes i did think that as the spec says 5000-5500 for this motor, I did have 3 adults onboard and 70l fuel but I will try and drop to a 15, I was just not sure to buy one or try and lend one. I plan on taking the kids out in the summer on a donut so would you think a 15 would be ok for this?
Cheers!
Gary
Before shelling out on props, I'd make sure that the engine is setup correctly first, as it's the cheaper option. You need to ensure that when the throttle is at maximum travel, the throttle plates are fully open & the TPS is at WOT voltage. Ideally you'd use a laptop with the diagnostic software to do this, but iirc it can be checked with a multimeter. Propping is a bit of a black art, but generally speaking 1" of pitch = 200rpm or thereabouts. So dropping 2" should gain you 400rpm ish. Also switching from an ally to stainless prop will get you about another 100rpm for the same size prop.
Old 30 December 2014, 22:15   #38

Quote:
Before shelling out on props, I'd make sure that the engine is setup correctly first, as it's the cheaper option. You need to ensure that when the throttle is at maximum travel, the throttle plates are fully open & the TPS is at WOT voltage. Ideally you'd use a laptop with the diagnostic software to do this, but iirc it can be checked with a multimeter. Propping is a bit of a black art, but generally speaking 1" of pitch = 200rpm or thereabouts. So dropping 2" should gain you 400rpm ish. Also switching from an ally to stainless prop will get you about another 100rpm for the same size prop.
Sounds a bit much for me, how would I setup up to use a muntimeter?
The engine is 2009 model only done 35 hours. I do have a full engine printout from the dealer just before I bought it would this info help?
Thanks for your help Dave.
Gary
Old 30 December 2014, 22:25   #39

RIBase
Quote:
Sounds a bit much for me, how would I setup up to use a muntimeter?
The engine is 2009 model only done 35 hours. I do have a full engine printout from the dealer just before I bought it would this info help?
Thanks for your help Dave.
Gary
If it was setup by a decent dealer, then all should be well, I'd assumed it was a self install. Has it been serviced since new? if not, it's due & all the checks will be done as part of the service. If you post up the engine report I can have a look. Look on the report for "TPS Calibration" the number should be 190 +/- 30 so between 160-210
Old 30 December 2014, 22:38   #40

Quote:
If it was setup by a decent dealer, then all should be well, I'd assumed it was a self install. Has it been serviced since new? if not, it's due & all the checks will be done as part of the service. If you post up the engine report I can have a look. Look on the report for "TPS Calibration" the number should be 190 +/- 30 so between 160-210
Cheers Dave ill get that sorted for tomorrow I dont think it was serviced because the chap I had if off bought it Dec 2008 and it was due first service Dec 11 but so very little use. It was showing 32 hours when tested in November just gone.
Gary