Old 04 October 2007, 23:14   #1

Town: Sussex
Length: 5m +
Moorings

Hi,

Would appreciate any suggestions:

I have just got my new 6m Rib with outboard. I was initially going to keep it at the marina boat park but their prices are shocking (for a 2 bit marina on a tidal river). They have no facilities yet the prices are more than a premier marina !!!

Anyway, Have thought about and decided against keeping it at home or in a secure storage area so here was my last resort (car can't tow) -

I have found a pontoon mooring on the river. For about 2 hours before and after high tide, the mooring will dry out and the rib would be sitting on sand.

Given this, the hull will be dry for 8 hours a day so it wont be constantly in the water. On top of this, I will have the means to take the hose / pressure cleaner down to it at low tide when it is sitting on the sand and would be able to clean anything from one side, push it over onto the other side and then do the remainder.

It has been suggested to me that given the 8 hours a day out of the water that a good scrub / blast every month or two should keep the hull clean and no need for antifowl.

As its an outboard, the motor wont be in the salt either.

Does this sound reasonable ?
Old 04 October 2007, 23:19   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
No problem at all - you may find that you need to scub it sometimes as well. Green nylon scourers are perfect for this.

What RIB did you get - where are the piccies???

Here was our boat on the sand getting scrubbed - bloody hard work but a pressure washer will make it a lot easier - also a lot of hull to clean. Ours was in a very bad state - keep on top of it and life will be much easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1189 (Small).JPG
Views:	259
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	30453   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1185 (Small).JPG
Views:	308
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	30454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1194 (Small).JPG
Views:	277
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	30455  
Old 04 October 2007, 23:29   #3

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrich View Post
...For about 2 hours before and after high tide, the mooring will dry out...

No

But I think I know what you mean:
It dries for around 2 hrs either side of Low Water

Quote:
....when it is sitting on the sand and would be able to clean anything from one side, push it over onto the other side and then do the remainder.

Possibly:
If it's moored up onto a pontoon, have you thought how you're going to push it over in the direction of the pontoon when it all dries out?

Quote:
It has been suggested to me that given the 8 hours a day out of the water that a good scrub / blast every month or two should keep the hull clean and no need for antifowl.

Yes - you should be ok with that - sounds obvious, but the more often you do it, the less scrubbing you'll need to do.

What RIB did you end up getting?
Old 05 October 2007, 00:05   #4

On another forum I visit, 2 people have said that leaving a rib on a tidal pontoon will result in it being stolen fairly quickly ??

Is this likely? Clearly it is insured but one guy has said hisn was stolen from east sussex and his insurance declined to pay out.
Old 05 October 2007, 00:23   #5

Town: sheffield
Boat name: barracuda
Make: Humber 7.6 mts
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200HP mercury
consider insurance

hi

if the rib is kept on a mourning with out proper security its too easy to take.

A marina is expensive but does have proper security

check with your insurance co,before you leave your rib
most insurance co, will not insure if left unattended for a long time ,even with a engine lock its to easey for other things to go missing

i would only keep my rib at home on my drive for security, and working on it etc, a cheep tow car is cheeper than a stolen rib, with all the hassel etc.

just a thought
stephen
Old 05 October 2007, 00:30   #6

Anyone got any ideas on a suitable tow car?

My local slip is quite steep.
Old 05 October 2007, 00:46   #7

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
anything 4x4 and preferably with low box.
Old 05 October 2007, 01:31   #8

Nice buy!!!

I would prefer to keep it out of the water if possible. If you only want to tow a short distance and have it as a 2nd vehicle get a Discovery V8 - much cheaper than a diesel and much nicer as well. Get something over 10 years old and you can have classic insurance through firebond - only about £140 a year.
Old 05 October 2007, 06:22   #9

Town: Swanmore nr Fareham
Boat name: Greyhound
Make: Ribtec
Engine: 225 Opti
Very Nice Boat - Good Choice.

Agree about a 2nd vehicle. 10 year old discovery would be a good purchase, you would need to win the lottery to keep it running through - My sisters selling hers (about 8 years old) as they can't afford to keep replacing gearboxes! It does spend most of its life off road (in the dealers!)

I would have thought that most things would tow a 6m (750-1000kgs?), you can always use a rope on a steep slip - car at the top on the dry stuff etc.

As for it being stolen, make sure you tell your insurance everything (and then twice) 'cause they will find any excuse not to pay.

Keeping it at a marina increases security remember although you have insurance you never get back what you have lost, so extra costs in mooring is essentially going towards extra insurance payments.

By the time you buy a 2nd car, insure it, tax it, service it, tyres, petrol etc you may find a decent marina is the answer.
Stuart M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2007, 06:34   #10

Town: Valencia
Length: no boat
I used to keep a sailing boat at Fareham Creek on a tidal mooring similar to that described here - access plus minus 2 hrs from low water. It was only about 60 GBP per month from memory - but that was 5 years ago. As there were a few old boys living on boats down there there was no issue of security, appreciate a RIB is more stealable though.

The marina (well more Steptoes yard actually) was just behind the outboard centre at the top of Fareham Creek, sorry I have no contact details but there must be a sign with contact details posted outside. Drive time from SW London was 90 mins & local pub was good.

I just scrubbed down hull once at end of season.
Old 05 October 2007, 08:26   #11

Marina issue for me is it is 8am - 6pm in summer and I want to use it in the evenings after 6. If you come back afetr 6 when they are closed, they charge you £12 a night visitor fee at mooring and you have to be back the next morning to recover else they charge another £18 for removing it for you!!!! (on top of the £1200 you have paid for the boat park)

I have been told several times about using a rope to lower rib and keeping car near top of slip. I have a 2.0 litre diesel VW Bora TDI - 150 BHP. Tow limit is 1500kg. I am guessing this rib setup I have is 1000KG loaded up.

Maybe it will be ok with a rope ??
Old 05 October 2007, 08:55   #12

Town: southampton
Make: osprey
Have you looked at the Dry Stack option - there are a number of them around - less hassle, secure and easy boating
Old 05 October 2007, 12:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
Very Nice Boat - Good Choice.

Agree about a 2nd vehicle. 10 year old discovery would be a good purchase, you would need to win the lottery to keep it running through - My sisters selling hers (about 8 years old) as they can't afford to keep replacing gearboxes! It does spend most of its life off road (in the dealers!)
Maybe that's the problem - the dealers!!! I have yet to have a gearbox failiure in ANY vehicle I have owned - and that includes 5 LRs!!!

Then again I service the LRs myself - it's amazing how many people who think they know what they are doing still stick EP90 in LR gearboxes.....
Old 05 October 2007, 12:09   #14

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Maybe that's the problem - the dealers!!! I have yet to have a gearbox failiure in ANY vehicle I have owned - and that includes 5 LRs!!!

Then again I service the LRs myself - it's amazing how many people who think they know what they are doing still stick EP90 in LR gearboxes.....
now that is a fact the oil pump in gear box thinks what the fook,
and also have seen auto fluid in a transfer box
Old 05 October 2007, 19:46   #15

Town: Colchester/Clevedon
Boat name: Barracuda
Make: Porters
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
Quote:
Marina issue for me is it is 8am - 6pm in summer and I want to use it in the evenings after 6. If you come back afetr 6 when they are closed, they charge you £12 a night visitor fee at mooring and you have to be back the next morning to recover else they charge another £18 for removing it for you!!!! (on top of the £1200 you have paid for the boat park)
I use a similar set-up to this in Essex, except the summer times are 9am to 5pm (5.30pm if you push them). Yes, on some summer days its a pain having to get back before they close, or more on a pontoon / buoy if they've already closed, but how many times a year is that situation going to arise?

If you add up the costs of launching yourself (boat storage elsewhere if not at home, fuel at towing MPG, launching fees, car park fees for the car and trailer while you're out), I don't think they'll be far off the £1200 you've been quoted.

Also, you tend to get more time out on the boat with park and ride. Just chuck the kit in the car, rock up at the boat and ask them to launch you. Less time spent at either end of the trip mucking around hitching up and launching yourself etc.
Old 05 October 2007, 19:54   #16

Town: Port Logan
Boat name: Red Fox
Make: Zodiac Pro 500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
MMSI: 232004329
check out http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/
your car should cope and surely there is an easier slip somewhere, look on boatlaunch
Old 05 October 2007, 20:52   #17

Or Google Earth - great for checking on slipways!!!
Old 06 October 2007, 08:46   #18

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
My local slip is quite steep.
Rather than suffer the stress of using your car or the expense of getting a second vehicle, would you not be better off finding a decent marina with 24 hour access and good security/facilities?

As has been said the costs are probably not that different and your boating experience will be vastly better... Being able to turn up at your boat when you like and take a trip when you like for as long as you like, you get the idea.
Old 08 October 2007, 16:59   #19

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Engine: 200 HP
Not qute sure why you would want to rule your life around cleaning your boat at low water. What on earth is the problem with anti fouling?

You say your boat will be dried out for 8 hrs a day, this implies you have a massive window, when it actual fact you have 2 4hr windows, one of which is in the dark. I would seriously think about ant fouling.