RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
don't inset any track system into the deck it's going to invite mr osmosis for a ride and he's an awkward fkkr to have on a boat
I must have has a long day - but how would a properly sealed/fitted track give you osmosis?
Old 05 March 2009, 19:29   #42

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I must have has a long day - but how would a properly sealed/fitted track give you osmosis?
I think he means generally that salt water will test the best of any design to the ultimate limit, and I agree with that view, which I said in some earlier posts.

I still think the concept is a 'goer' but a lot will rest on how good the hardware is, since, if someone has a console fixed for 8 years say, how easy will it be to remove & replace it ... this is thinking that needs to be overcome way before other considerations, such as wiring etc because if the hardware doesnt work .. the concept will be dealt a hammer blow.

IMO, if this is addressed effectively, the rest will follow, and Malthouse may well be onto a winner And I hope he is, its a great idea and would simplify RIB speccing beyond all measure
Old 05 March 2009, 20:23   #43

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
fair cop buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I must have had a long day - but how would a properly sealed/fitted track give you osmosis?
Osmosis might be the wrong word delamination might be better
For the first couple of years it will be fine but you would have to kep on top of the sealing to stop water ingress as the years progress.

During the course of a journey as the rib goes bouncy bouncy in the water I percieve the join between track and deck will flex and consequently break down the seal bit by bit thus allowing the deck water to ingress throught the deck seal little by little. The deck is normally made up of a laminate of GRP Plywood GRP and the water will be attracted to the Ply. Eventually the ply will rot ( yeah i know it's Marine ply) and the deck will get spongy.

I might be wrong but I don't think cutting grooves longtitudinally along a deck that will become waterbourne is a good design feature and for a manufacturer I believe it can cause a risk to quality peception, At the very least it's an extra maintenance task
Old 05 March 2009, 20:35   #44

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
What about a moulded GRP deck with recesses incorporated for the track? Don't Gemini use something like this?
Old 05 March 2009, 20:37   #45

That would be OK but I wouldn't buy it.
Old 05 March 2009, 20:48   #46

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Neither would I
Old 05 March 2009, 23:53   #47

Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Malthouse.

I do not think this idea is a goer, I know its not what you want to hear but there is not a market for this.

Try this for a bit of research. Survey 100 long term RIB owners and ask how many of them when they last upgraded their boat bought the same design and size of hull. I totally agree that people want to change and upgrade every year or few but how many want to remin the same? I suspect you will find most are looking for a bigger and better hull or a more economical boat, its not about changing the deck layout every 2 years.

The Ribeye track has been mentioned a few times. We have a 7.85 fitted with this track, seemed like a good idea at first glance. What they dont tell you of course is that to secure your seats etc properly you can not rely just on the track, you still need sikaflex and self tappers. The track therfore is pointless.

Without a doubt my next boat will have permantly fitted seats glassed into the floor. When the console/seating arrangment ceases to work for us we will sell the whole boat and replace with one that does work for us.

As far as the Land Rover comparison goes- I don't get it. I've had mine coming on 5 yrs and have not felt the need to modify it. It does exactly what I expected it to do. The day I suddenly have 7 kids and need a 9 seater with windows all round I will part ex this one for a more appropriate model. (I would probaly also need to move into a more lucrative non marine line of work.
Old 06 March 2009, 07:32   #48

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
but you could build a grp tank into the bottom of a console of seat and partition it off (gastight of course) with a GRP shelf.
Just try and buy a resin that the manufacturer will say is good for holding petrol (diesel isn't a problem - yet!) - In the USA there are a lot of people that are unhappy about their fuel tanks falling apart with the new fuels they are supplying with all sorts of nasty stuff in that has broken down GRP tanks and ruined engines!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 March 2009, 08:18   #49

Copy that bummer!
Old 06 March 2009, 09:32   #50

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
It could be good from a manufacturers point of view being able to fit consoles quickly or being able to reposition them after a sea trial with the customer. For the actual customer I would have thought it was fairly limited apart from perhaps if they wanted to convert from a leisure to racing setup and vica versa or, as has been mentioned, for commercial purposes.

I have an idea of how it could be done without rails but is it worth the extra expense?
Old 06 March 2009, 11:01   #51

Town: Reading
Boat name: N/A
Make: Cobra
Engine: Verado 200
I'm afraid I have to add my name to the list of doubters about this. I find it hard enough finding time to get the most out of my rib. I just want to get in it and go out, not spend hours messing about with the setup. I understand that there are people who enjoy tinkering, rebuilding etc. but I suspect that many of them are so hard-core about it they will prefer to get out the angle grinder and the soldering iron rather than have it made easy for them by your idea.

I would also counsel against doing your market research on this site because my impression is that it is a skewed cross section of the ribbing community.
Old 06 March 2009, 11:27   #52

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
I would also counsel against doing your market research on this site because my impression is that it is a skewed cross section of the ribbing community.
Can you elaborate on that?
Old 06 March 2009, 13:25   #53

Town: Reading
Boat name: N/A
Make: Cobra
Engine: Verado 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Can you elaborate on that?
This site has a enthusiast feel and may not be representative of the market for this product as a whole. Therefore I think that it would be like going to the Top Gear studio and asking the audience for their opinion of the Land Rover talked about earlier in this thread. I don't think you will get the right answer in either case, at least not from the point of view of building a product that will sell in sufficient quantity.

I am not saying that the people on here are not well informed or anything like that.