Old 01 March 2005, 08:07   #41

Town: here,there,everywher
Make: canoe
Length: no boat
Engine: paddles
alternatively climb out of your pram and collect your toys!
Old 01 March 2005, 09:12   #42

Town: Havant
Boat name: Mrs Chips
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
This thread is very relevant to me as I recently tried to charter a sportsboat in Barbados using my ICC only to find it is not recognised there. I think the word international is misleading as an ICC tends to satisfy Europeans rather than the world. But maybe European Certificate of Competance doesn't have the same ring about it.

I really think the ICC was designed to satisfy Spanish authorities. The current ICC Motorboat training video features the presenter chartering a boat in Spain with his ICC. The changes for 2005 for the ICC mean that a PB Level 2 will only qualify you for a powerboat up to 10 metres (previously 24metres) and I think this is again to satisfy Spanish legislation.

I am against compulsory licensing of motorboats - especially if it is only to satisfy European Regs - It's 200 years since Trafalgar when Nelson defeated the Spanish and the French without the aid of an ICC perhaps they are getting their own back?
Old 01 March 2005, 13:29   #43

Town: Brixham, Devon
Boat name: FLY-BY/FLY-BY II
Make: Ribcraft/Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 175/Yamaha 30
As Paul has said, I would recommend that you contact James or Jon at the RYA to voice your concerns Pete. Both are always willing to listen to problems that clients have had with either RYA Qualifications or RYA Training Centres.

Torbay & Dartmouth Powerboat School
01803 855508
The South West Premier RYA Powerboat Training Centre
www.powerboat-instruction.co.uk
David Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2005, 17:10   #44

Town: London
Make: Larson
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
I think the true wording of the ICC should be :-

ICC - International Certificate of Competence for a skipper whilst skippering a ......@.....(name of country in which issued) registered vessel abroad in the limited International countries that accept it. The ICC is not valid for skippering any other vessel abroad not ........@....... registered, but may be accepted at the discretion of any charter company in a country signed up to UN resolution 40.

It would then be helpful for the relevant countries that have signed up to be listed.

I would also question the word International as although it is partly right it can be misleading, but this would be clarified by listing the 'International countries' signed up.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all your input, I am sure that a lot of people have learnt a bit more about an ICC, I will leave it for the professional trainers among the forum to pass on any comments they feel necessary to the relevant authorities.