Old 07 November 2002, 21:52   #1

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Minimum required equipment...

Jumping a bit ahead of myself here as I won't be getting my SIB sorted out till Christmas at the earliest, but figured I may as well find out what other equipment I'd NEED before using it. So, what do people reckon I'd need to carry onboard a SIB? (I've already got a handheld GPS)

Thanks for all advice,
Matt
Old 07 November 2002, 22:12   #2

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Quote:
I've already got a handheld GPS
Yes Matt, that's why you haven't got a SIB!

Right: Life jacket and HH VHF Radio for a start. Some Mars bars in a Tupperware box.

As for flares, well........ The problem is the ruddy flares are likely to drop all sorts of hot stuff on the boat and puncture it! Not what you want to do if you are in trouble on a SIB.

Keith (large lunchbox) Hart
Old 07 November 2002, 22:23   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
You don't NEED anything!!

- but you may wish to take a few odds and ends, depending on where you're going. Safety says a lifejacket or buoyancy aid. But on rivers I often don't even bother with one - as I'm a strong swimmer, and the likelehood of entering the water unconscious is very unlikely on a SIB (Unlike Chris Evans's mate - a sobering thought).

You've almost no storage space at all, so a rucksack (tied to something fixed) will have to take most of your kit. Food, waterproofs and fleece are top of the list. But if I take my SIB out into the oggin, I take a drybox (also tied down) packed with flares, compass, and mobile 'phone. I wear MANUAL air lifejacket and VHF.

The one item I always take is an extra kill-cord.

So, DON'T BUY ANYTHING - as you don't NEED it, but you DO need a SIB!

(Oh, there is one thing you need - a lanyard for that GPS - you don't want to lose it over the side, do you?)

HTH,
Rich.
(What sort of GPS did you get?)
Old 07 November 2002, 22:24   #4

Bah, well it's not like I'd be using the SIB till after christmas anyway. Besides, the GPS isn't only for boat use, it's for mountain biking too (although all it's done so far is guide me back home from Kwik Save).

Life jacket I've already got sorted, as I can simply partially inflate my (well my uncle's, tis mine until I can get my own kit) trusty old Buddy Commando and use that. Already got a tupperware box, so all that leaves is handheld VHF! I take it for that, I need some sort of training and/or license?

Matt (SIBless but getting there) Brown
Old 07 November 2002, 22:31   #5

Rich,
Just got the basic Garmin eTrex model. Wasn't too fussed about having the mapping features of the higher spec (and price) models, as I'd rarely use it anyway. All I needed was the ability to have routes made up of multiple waypoints, be able to record a route onto the GPS whilst moving (useful for recording new bike routes you discover), and be able to transfer routes from PC to GPS. As the basic eTrex does this, and is pretty cheap, I decided to go for it. Now all I need is the data cable, but at >£30, the Garmin one is a bit pricey, so I think a DIY effort is in order...

Matt
Old 07 November 2002, 22:32   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by narked
VHF... for that, I need some sort of training and/or license?
To be legal, you need a Ship's Radio License (about a tenner or so) to own one (including emergency only use) and an operator's license to transmit anything that's not an emergency/mayday call.
Old 08 November 2002, 07:53   #7

Town: Poole
I would disagree with Pepper in that taking nothing ( IMO ) is not the best idea. I consider myself a strong swimmer ( have been known to swim around Portland Bill ) but would never go out to sea or even a river without ( in no particular order )

1) Life Jacket
2) Anchor
3) Red flag for getting attention ( can be rolled up for SIB use)

Given the river aspect of SIB’s a handheld VHF may be OTT but going to sea I would say it is essential. Even a mobile phone is better than nothing.

If everything goes well then all you will ever need is your factor 2 sunscreen but that’s not the way things work.

I have rescued loads of people over the years who have assumed that things don’t happen to them.

Regards

Mark
Old 08 November 2002, 08:23   #8

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
What about a foot-pump.....air is what you need
Old 08 November 2002, 08:29   #9

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Narked

I agree with Mark. When one goes out in the water (sea or river or lake) one should always be prepared for the worst case senario that may arrise.
ONE CAN NEVER KNOW WHEN GOOD LUCK RUNS OUT!!
I am trying not to be patronising here but I hope that you know that VHF and GPS should be waterproof.
Nevertheless it depends what you want to do and what short of sea experience you have. I would say if it was me I get a small (3 kg) anchor+5 mtr chain at least is a must, rope/s, flares, 1st aid kit (a liitle bag for about £5), 2 life jackets (1, +1 spare), mobile phone in WP bag, water (you need it even if is cold), and a small floating anchor (if you're out at sea), waterproofs, some mars bars, torch, hand held compass, and a whisle.
I would recomend that you get some short of training 1st and try to get an ICC. Also get a Radio Operators Licence and pay (I think is £20-£30/year) for the Licence.
BE SAFE
Hope you enjoy SIBBING
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 November 2002, 08:34   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkWildey
taking nothing...
Mark, I wouldn't take "nothing" to sea, but have found that very little equipment is needed in a slow runing river.

Yes, anchor worth mentioning (little folding grappel type ones + a little bit of chain OK for SIBS - look for 2nd hand ones, save a few quid). And of course some appropriate lengths of rope for bow, stern and anchor (bargain reel ends great for SIBs).

I have a particular reasoning for not weaing a life jacket on the river - I believe that entry from SIB to river is more likely to be deliberate than accidental, so you will need agility rather than buoyancy. Also, on the Thames, tourists have a habit of falling into locks. Usually the lock-keeper uses a long hook to pull them out, (yes, like a shepherd like dipping a sheep!) but I've contemplated jumping in to assist on more than one occasion.
Old 08 November 2002, 08:42   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles
air is what you need...
Plenty of hot air from us SIBsters
Old 08 November 2002, 09:11   #12

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Quote:
and a small floating anchor (if you're out at sea),
Is that a bit like an inflatable anchor
Always a good one to make course candidates think.
I assume you mean a sea / drogue
Old 08 November 2002, 09:15   #13

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Jelly

Yes this is what I mean ....... and forgot a pair of oars
Old 08 November 2002, 09:24   #14

Manos, yeah I know that they need to be waterproof

As for the training, I've done the BSAC Boat Handling course (covers Powerboat level 2) and am working up to doing the Diver Cox exam (certifies you at Powerboat level 2 plus a few dive boat related things), so training isn't a problem.

I'll definately look into an anchor, as I'll be hoping to use the SIB as a platform for some freediving and snorkelling, possibly even a few dives with scuba kit when on holiday.

As for HH VHF, what sort of price am I going to be looking at for a suitable unit? Also does anyone have any recommendations for make/model? VHF I'll definately need in case of emergency, and also for communicating with others whilst I'm out, maybe the dive club's RIB if I go out around the same area with them.

As I've said previously, already got life jacket sorted, and the drysuit adds to the bouyancy anyway.

Thanks
Matt
Old 08 November 2002, 09:36   #15

Hi Narked

VHF go for a HH IWP COM. I use those for a number of years and they have never failed me.
DO NOT go for the cheap type. You need one that has a long lasting bat, rigid and with proven track record.
I recommend a HH WP ICOM. What type?? There are many. Thry to find what suits your pocket.
Re certification, the BSAC cources are good (I dive too - I'm a BSAC Diver) but they do not give you an ICC. You need an ICC if you go to Europe.
Contact the RYA and ask them if you are excempt from the tests for an ICC and if you are tehn ask them to get an ICC. If not take the test which is VERY SIMPLE
Old 08 November 2002, 09:39   #16

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Here's a good tip, Cactus are having an end of season sale. REAL bargains to be had here.
Old 08 November 2002, 09:43   #17

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Matt

Talking of anchors for SIBs take a look at this thread:
http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...folding+anchor

Keith (i'd make a good anchor) Hart
Old 08 November 2002, 10:09   #18

Ta for the advice. Those folding anchors look quite good Keith, and not exactly expensive either. And now I am 1/4 of the way to having the £200 I need to buy the SIB, so another 2 months pocket money will do it! Time to go searching for a job I think, need money for an outboard too!

Matt (trying not to spend the rest of the money saved) Brown
Old 08 November 2002, 14:06   #19

Town: Pembrokeshire
Boat name: MATUKA
Make: Lencraft
Length: 5.5m
Engine: Mariner 60 4s Efi
I have some real concerns about "advice" which suggests that you should not be prepared for trips on the water.
I too can swim,but would not venture on to the water without a buoyanvy aid as the very minimum protection. I agree that flling into the water unconscious is not likely, but then again many things that are not likely, happen. It only takes on "happen" and in the wrong circumstances the next step is the coroners court....oh that is after the post mortem, funeral and enquiry. Take my point.
The RYA sylabus, of which I am a teacher at tiimes, gives a list of items to take. Some time ago on this forum "we" put together a list of items to take.
One recent accident on our local river, a tidal estuary, will prove a point. Two people on their way from shore to sailing craft, bith tip in the water, travel 5 miles downstream befor being picked up, lucky they were too.....and guess what saved them........you got it LIFEJACKETS/BUOYANCY AIDS.

Dave
Old 08 November 2002, 16:04   #20

Dave (and others), chill out!

If you read what I'm saying, I'm not saying don't use a life jacket (in fact they were the first safety item I mentioned!) - I'm saying that in my personal opinion, for a strong swimmer there are situations (river only) where a life jacket doesn't add much safety value. And I mean non-tidal. The example of the two people carried five miles out shows how important a life jacket is in tidal waters. And the example of Chris Evans' skipper who lost his life only adjacent to the Bramble Bank is a tragic worst case scenario. If he'd been wearing a life jacket, chances are he may have survived.