Old 15 February 2014, 18:16   #101

Town: England
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: no boat
Engine: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by moore288 View Post
I have never experienced that in my rib, in fact I don't think mine will do that? Would it be right that that if the tubes are closer to the waterline it is less likely to happen. Or is it just that I have a smaller and much less powerful engine? My boat would more skid out gently than bite in. (So far, fingers crossed )
Never assume it won't happen to you.
Old 15 February 2014, 18:32   #102

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by moore288 View Post
I have found the report and this thread really educational. The video was also interesting. Thanks to everyone for the really interesting posts. Being a novice compared to others on here I was surprised at the hook video. I am sure it is tame compared to others experiences but it seemed quite dramatic to me. I have never experienced that in my rib, in fact I don't think mine will do that? Would it be right that that if the tubes are closer to the waterline it is less likely to happen. Or is it just that I have a smaller and much less powerful engine? My boat would more skid out gently than bite in. (So far, fingers crossed )
My 4m Avon does it with 50hp....it'll skid gently until it grips...then it'll chuck you out the high side of the boat.....if you don't back off something.

My 'feeling' is that if driven hard most boats will act very similar...

Unless you really really know the boat , crew, water etc....back off as soon as it starts to slide....even then be ready..backing off can make it happen to imo....
Old 15 February 2014, 19:27   #103

Town: Copenhagen
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp OB
Thanks rigi36 and PeterM. So it sounds like I have just been lucky, something to think carefully about. It is not to do with design but rather driving style then?
Old 16 February 2014, 17:44   #104

Town: I.O.W
Boat name: Danger Donut
Make: 6.0 rib
Engine: Mariner F60efi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribandmotorhome View Post
I was thrown off the console, over the tubes and in the drink on my old 4m narwhall and that only had a 40hp.

I had the kill cord on and it stopped instantly.
It was funny at the time but taught me a valuable lesson before my kids were born and on the boat.
Thank goodness!
Ive had it twice in 6.5 Oceans both with v6 on the back power off at speed and turn at the same time and they hook every time. Ended up tube sufing on one of them, had a cord on thank god.
Old 16 February 2014, 18:12   #105
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
Ive had it twice in 6.5 Oceans both with v6 on the back power off at speed and turn at the same time and they hook every time. Ended up tube sufing on one of them, had a cord on thank god.
Hmmm. I seem to recall someone mentioning that they corner like a MII Cortina with bald tyres...

Old 16 February 2014, 18:40   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

Hmmm. I seem to recall someone mentioning that they corner like a MII Cortina with bald tyres...

Yep great as long as they aren't over powered fine bow and a round stearn . Ive seen a youtube clip of one off yarmouth out of control with a v6
Old 16 February 2014, 19:03   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Having raced and experienced a few "Hooks" myself they were at the very bottom on the scale of hooks, in fact I would argue that they weren't any where near violent enough to be considered a hook, especially considering the passenger was able to hold on with one arm raised.

The only thing of value in that video is that it is a good demonstration of when you should stop pushing the performance envelope of your boat and consider that a warning.
Agree with you cookee. As a manufacturer I feel pressured to just agree to fit the next biggest engine that arrives on the scene. Ten years ago 200hp was a monster now we have the 350's and with way more acceleration. Weve tryed a few 90 deg turns while assesing the boats and although successful we were ready for it, but from that we have to put our neck on the line and say it is" safe" what ever that now means, it is a fine line between exciting and borderline out of control. If you've had a couple and feel a bit gung ho your asking for trouble.
Old 17 February 2014, 07:08   #108

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
Agree with you cookee. As a manufacturer I feel pressured to just agree to fit the next biggest engine that arrives on the scene. Ten years ago 200hp was a monster now we have the 350's and with way more acceleration. Weve tryed a few 90 deg turns while assesing the boats and although successful we were ready for it, but from that we have to put our neck on the line and say it is" safe" what ever that now means, it is a fine line between exciting and borderline out of control. If you've had a couple and feel a bit gung ho your asking for trouble.
As always the CE certification is just a tick box exercise, the handling test can be overcome (if the boat fails) with a sticker by the helm, and even if it passes a driver can still initiate a maneuver that will end up in a hook in so many boats with or without tubes.

At the end of the day the safety of any boat is down to the loose nut behind the wheel, it's the same as computers - rubbish in rubbish out!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2014, 21:21   #109

Town: England
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: no boat
Engine: n/a
0:29 seconds

Is that a hook?
Old 25 February 2014, 06:52   #110

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Not even close, the boat just slid sideways slightly - trust me when I tell you you'll know one when you see/experience one!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2014, 08:58   #111

Make: cobra
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin yamaha 300hp
I have a boat from this company, arguably it is bigger but about the same age and we have not really had this issue before, it mainly comes down to inexperience and lack of kill cord any boat can throw you out and it's vital you should always wear the kill cord... Rediculous not to