Click Here to Login

Old 06 January 2021, 18:42   #1

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Mercury Optimax external oil tank

Perhaps a silly question but I’m looking at where to place the external Optimax oil tank. It has a bracket which I presume suggests it can be mounted on the transom, and I could fit it in the rear bench seat with a couple other items - batteries and water/fuel separator.... I did explore putting it under deck at the rear because I’m building access to all the under floor as storage but the oil tank is too tall.

Other thoughts were the rear splash well some how, perhaps on top of a stainless grill that would sit on the gap of the splash well, or whether I build a housing for it between the transom supports

... any thoughts and ideas?
Old 07 January 2021, 12:27   #2

Boat name: Joy Ride
Make: Ribtec655CamelTrophy
Engine: 200 optimax
I have mine inside one of the double jockey seats...... easily accessed for top up.
I wouldn’t fancy it exposed at the transom as there is a couple of sensors attached to it and the chance of the oil line getting snagged by someone climbing in etc.
Old 07 January 2021, 14:06   #3

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
I have mine inside one of the double jockey seats...... easily accessed for top up.
I wouldn’t fancy it exposed at the transom as there is a couple of sensors attached to it and the chance of the oil line getting snagged by someone climbing in etc.

Yes agree - it looks like there is plenty of room in the bench seat so will put in there [emoji106]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4961.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	135954Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4951.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	135957

Looking at creating a removable internal shelf so the space above can be kept separate and clutter free/clean - exploring ideas but not worked it out fully yet
Old 07 January 2021, 19:51   #4

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
Yes agree - it looks like there is plenty of room in the bench seat so will put in there [emoji106]Attachment 135954Attachment 135957

Looking at creating a removable internal shelf so the space above can be kept separate and clutter free/clean - exploring ideas but not worked it out fully yet
I don’t think the 6mm acrylic would be a good choice - it’ll be way too flimsy unless you went up to 15mm or so and then it’ll be expensive and heavy.

It’s also not the easiest material to work with; it likes to crack when you drill it.

Can you not fibreglass some little battens in along the walls of the seat that the shelf could sit on? Then you could lift it out to access underneath and it would be much stronger.

It might also be worth making the shelf in two half’s. That way you only have to half empty it to refill the oil and would give you a bit more space above the batteries (which you will never need to access).

Finally, maybe it would be worth having the oil tank right at the top? That would you wouldn’t have to lift anything out to get to it to top it up (presumably a relatively frequent activity?)
Old 07 January 2021, 19:56   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
I have a couple of double jockeys in the back of my RIB. One has the two batteries and the oil tank - a "dirty" space if you like. The other is for storage.

Depending on your usage you might not need to access it that often. It's a 10 litre tank and typically you'll use less than 50:1 fuel to oil ratio. How long will it take you to get through 500 litres of petrol?