Old 28 June 2019, 03:52   #1

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
MCA consultation document

If you do you own maintenance and don’t want the cost of boating to rocket even more than it is already

Respond to the consultation document seeking to snarl us all up in paperwork and cost in the name of Health and Safety
Old 28 June 2019, 07:24   #2

Length: 7m +
it would help if you stated which consultation document you are referring to, do you have a link ?
Old 28 June 2019, 07:25   #3

it it this one ?
https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...-safety-at-sea
Old 28 June 2019, 07:44   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Most of that is fairly reasonable but I’m not sure about the emergency steering. If I have to carry a tiller for my 200 Verado there may be some weird redesign needed.
I do think that some regulation is needed in this country though - there are way too many clueless people on the water. Maybe at least an icc.
Old 28 June 2019, 08:03   #5

I cant see anything as mandatory for leisure boaters so it should not make any difference. They are all guidance docs or am I wrong.

Reading through them all they are all a tad pointless in my opinion as only briefly mention various subjects, they could be far longer and in more detail so I don't know why they just remain almost like a quick snapshot.

Some of the guidance will just confuse and some does not make sense at all, requirement to carry maintanance and service manuals onboard for example, first point is that would be rather alot of paperwork, which will get wet and ruined. Another one about modifications to your boat and complying with certification etc etc, they dont state what sort of modification, would changing a nav light position or type be a modification for example.

I don't know why they have bothered at all to be honust as far better and more comprehensive guidance can be found in RYA and other publications and books and within training courses.

It kind of feels like something some young employees of the MCA have produced just to do something.

If the idea is to save lives and prevent accidents they would be better with publishing advice about training and courses, or making wearing a kill cord mandatory or wearing a life jacket.

So in summary cant see these as adding much to the leisure boaters world, there are better guidance materials out there and you cant beat training and experience.Plus these may confuse people.
Old 28 June 2019, 08:18   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
it would help if you stated which consultation document you are referring to, do you have a link ?
He's pished again - dear oh dear!
Old 28 June 2019, 09:36   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
MCA consultation document

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
He's pished again - dear oh dear!

Or trolling. I thought he’d had his legs slapped for that already[emoji848]

Forward looking sonar
http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?p=797828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post

Your little RC clic are very easy to catch with very simple bait
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 11:39   #8

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Please could you pair keep " on topic " ? TIA Bern
Old 28 June 2019, 12:05   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I cant see anything as mandatory for leisure boaters so it should not make any difference. They are all guidance docs or am I wrong.

Reading through them all they are all a tad pointless in my opinion as only briefly mention various subjects, they could be far longer and in more detail so I don't know why they just remain almost like a quick snapshot.

The covering page says, “The guidance contained within this collection of MGNs is not looking to amend or change the text of the applicable regulations, but rather provide further detail on the intent of the regulation.” So I don’t believe they are applicable directly to leisure use. However, given that there have been fatalities on commercial vessels where there have been repairs or modifications I can see why they feel it’s necessary to clarify some points. Especially as they haven’t managed to successfully prosecute everyone they perhaps felt has been at fault, because “best practice” is subjective.
Old 28 June 2019, 15:14   #10

If you delve a little deeper you will see that this contains greater threats than at first you might think

There is a large thread over on YBW forum with more detail from those that seem to have delved deeper and have spotted the threats re doing your own maintenance and the added costs that would flow
Old 28 June 2019, 20:44   #11
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
If you delve a little deeper you will see that this contains greater threats than at first you might think

There is a large thread over on YBW forum with more detail from those that seem to have delved deeper and have spotted the threats re doing your own maintenance and the added costs that would flow

YBW is not really a bastion of internet fact and rational thought though.
Old 28 June 2019, 22:09   #12

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
It seems to start from the premise that every boat is built to some certificated standard to which it has to remain conformant.
Maybe they need to take a walk round a harbour some time, sample a dose of reality.
Old 29 June 2019, 11:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
YBW is not really a bastion of internet fact and rational thought though.
And Ribnet is ?
Old 29 June 2019, 12:17   #14

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
It seems to start from the premise that every boat is built to some certificated standard to which it has to remain conformant.
Maybe they need to take a walk round a harbour some time, sample a dose of reality.

A rib forum.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 13:05   #15
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
And Ribnet is ?

See when you say they’ve delved deeper did you assume because they were getting in a flap about it that they were better informed? It’s equally possible that they are over reacting to what is largely writing down common sense. What maintenance do you think unqualified, inexperienced or incompetent people should be encouraged to do themselves?

The covering information is clear this is not a change to legislation it is guidance on good practice. That might cause commercial operators some serious headaches but generally pleasure boats are outside of the scope (but it’s probably still good practice not to do things that go outside the design scope, or risk the safety of your vessel and crew). The changes to RCD do potentially apply to major modifications - but not routine maintenance; but is it better to be clear on what “best practice is” or standing in court on a manslaughter charge saying you believed what you did was good enough?

If the RYA legal department put out an official statement saying pleasure boaters should be alarmed then I’ll be more concerned than if a bunch of yachties are debating if they need to get their standing rigging inspected because it’s lasted just fine for 30 years ;-)
Old 29 June 2019, 17:36   #16

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I’ve had a quick scan through it & TBH can’t find anything to get excited about. I haven’t read it all, but what I have seen is nothing over & above what a normal (I use the term loosely [emoji6]) owner/skipper would do anyway. As said above, had there been anything controversial, the RYA would be all over it. There hasn’t been anything of note mentioned in the RYA magazine by either the editorial staff or readers.
At the end of the day, it’s only guidance. The HSE issue guidance notes all the time on a plethora of subjects & they often come in handy. I refer to them frequently when undertaking task within my industry that I may not have done before or be a tad rusty on. They aren’t designed to trip you up, they are generally helpful & act as a useful aide memoir.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 19:31   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I’ll be more concerned than if a bunch of yachties are debating if they need to get their standing rigging inspected because it’s lasted just fine for 30 years ;-)
To reproduce the effect, affect a slight "W" speech impediment and shake your head from side to side, allowing yer jowls to flap a bit and say:

"Itsh awbsolwootley weprewhensible!!"
Old 30 June 2019, 07:04   #18

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
As others have said, it is primarily common sense guidance.

There are a number of key hazards that RIB drivers have to contend with - fire, flood, loss of manoeuvring, loss of propulsion, loss of a person over the side etc etc. The guidance highlights those hazards and makes suggestions on how to mitigate them.

I guess the RYA will review them and if appropriate will modify the syllabus of their training courses to incorporate the guidance.