Old 03 December 2005, 13:52   #21

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley
in my humble opinion the best build quality of hulls is normally from the smaller manufacturer as are all of the uk rib builders but you will always get rogue (no offence stu)manufacturers like the one who used to use chipboard for the transom !!! ps riva where did the statistics come from the number of ribs built in the uk seems very high
Probably most of them being Avon.
Old 03 December 2005, 16:30   #22

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Cookee, Paul I agree with what you are saying.

I don't know what your workload is but consider if you had to build say five hulls/tubes for the same order, would it be more or less cost effevtive for you to do so and would the quality standards be easier or harder to maintain.

I am not counting the costs of developing the mould or tube patterns as they would have already been done, I am just thinking of the production costs/effort
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2005, 17:18   #23
Gav

Town: Midlands
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
I know what a chopper gun is and no i wouldn't want a boat produced by that method. As there is no real bonding between the layers of Mat.

I'd have to believe however that using proper laminating techniques on more of a production line basis might lead to some economy of scale leading to leading to a reduced COQ to the manufacturer and then hopefully the customer.
i agree to a point with what you say regarding the Chopper guns, but a lot of it depends on what specification of resin is used..... for any success in spray laminate, the use of low styrene emission resin is a no no!(surface wax preventing the toxic styrene escaping into the atmosphere) but i know from personal experience that certain high volume manufacturers use it due to styrene emissions and curing properties.....

However.... the same can be said for hand-layup techniques, but at least with hand layup there is a lot more control over the moulding being produced, but then is more time consuming...........

IMO Hand layup is far more reliable in the right hands!
Old 03 December 2005, 17:22   #24

well that's gud enuff for me! but how aboiut my other question
Old 03 December 2005, 17:29   #25
Gav

Town: Midlands
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
well that's gud enuff for me! but how aboiut my other question
what other Q?
Old 03 December 2005, 17:48   #26

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav
i agree to a point with what you say regarding the Chopper guns, but a lot of it depends on what specification of resin is used..... for any success in spray laminate, the use of low styrene emission resin is a no no!(surface wax preventing the toxic styrene escaping into the atmosphere) but i know from personal experience that certain high volume manufacturers use it due to styrene emissions and curing properties.....

However.... the same can be said for hand-layup techniques, but at least with hand layup there is a lot more control over the moulding being produced, but then is more time consuming...........

IMO Hand layup is far more reliable in the right hands!
You didn't point out that woven cloth is a tad difficult to build with when using a chopper, or that the resin/fibre ratio is all bollix using chopper.....or that a chopper gun is far more 'unreliable' in the wrong hands.

Searay build quality is about as good as their speedo's accuracy!

gold plastic edging pushed on the edges of chipboard, anywhere thats not easily visible has the shabbyest workmanship known to man!

As for "state of the art hermatically controlled factories where perfect conditions are maintained for GRP production" Well it doesn't seem to reflect in the boats.

All IMHO
Old 03 December 2005, 18:10   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav
what other Q?
It's in the bit you highlighted!

I'd have to believe however that using proper laminating techniques on more of a production line basis might lead to some economy of scale leading to leading to a reduced COQ to the manufacturer and then hopefully the customer.

Id be interested in hearing the views of Gav, Steve the boat, TD, Leeway or Bryn? (trio) about it and indeed the toobers

Having read it agin it might seem i was asking your views on the Chopper Gun but I was asking about how things pan out when you are making a run of product
Old 03 December 2005, 20:06   #28

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollulnan
How many Searays have you two owned?!!
I have to admit that I've never owned one, but thats because I've had the pleasure of repairing a few of them and I haven't been very impressed with the build quality.

Chipboard and mdf doesn't have a place in a boat, but that doesn't seem to stop these superior american built craft from using it in their construction! Mind you, if you only expect the boat to be used in a puddle, you'd probably expect to get away with it!

And as for chopper guns, being used by a mexican on $5.00 an hour, stuff that!
Old 03 December 2005, 21:03   #29

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
And as for chopper guns, being used by a mexican on $5.00 an hour, stuff that!
Yeah but don't forget that mexican is working in a:... "state of the art hermatically controlled factory where perfect conditions are maintained for GRP production"
Old 04 December 2005, 09:00   #30

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
stu small production runs of the same tube would give a very small cost saving in materials on curved tubes but not sectional ones and possibly a small labour saving ,it should also help to increase the quality of that product as you become more familliar with it but could also cause workers to become to familliar and try to make shortcuts and lower the quality . the most important thing that i have tried to install into all of my employees past and present is to get it right first time if not you will be taking apart and redoing it not quite so easy with fibreglass though !!!
Old 04 December 2005, 12:52   #31

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Talking of mass produced and fibreglass....

A mate of mine bought an Avondale Argente snailhome about a year ago. Top of the range and the biggest they do. Avondale have been making caravans for long enough to know what they are doing.

It wasn't long after he bought it that he noticed nasty cracks at the front and back - around the moulded in handles. These handles hadn't even been used to shift the van around with. When he complained they got him to take the caravan away to an independent repair centre where they have changed the complete front and back ends!!! Apparently it is quite a common problem and has been on other vans of theirs in the past!!!

Surely the company would have realised by now that a few extra layers of rovings or mat in the area concerned would save them a fortune in the long run? Obviously not!!!
Old 04 December 2005, 13:40   #32

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
Mollulnan, you might want to have a read of this:

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Fiberglass_Boats.htm

"One good example is a Sea Ray where the hull side had ONE layer of woven roving, two thin layers of chopped strand mat, and all the rest of the laminate was some kind of brittle putty".

Pete

That article is certainly an eye opener. I couldn't imagine spending the kind of money that some of these RIBs fetch without acually touring the plant to see exactly how the boat I am about to order is fabricated.

If the plant were within a reasonable driving distance I sould also put a stipulation in the contract that I could regularly stop in at the plant to check on it's progressive production. Many of the boats cost as much or more than houses, and it's pretty much a given that if someone were having a house built for them that they would regulary stop by the construction site to monitor the progress.
Old 04 December 2005, 16:39   #33

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber
That article is certainly an eye opener. I couldn't imagine spending the kind of money that some of these RIBs fetch without acually touring the plant to see exactly how the boat I am about to order is fabricated.

If the plant were within a reasonable driving distance I sould also put a stipulation in the contract that I could regularly stop in at the plant to check on it's progressive production. Many of the boats cost as much or more than houses, and it's pretty much a given that if someone were having a house built for them that they would regulary stop by the construction site to monitor the progress.
Interesting idea... go and buy a Merc or any other "high end"car.. then ask if you can drop by the plant to see it being made...
Old 04 December 2005, 16:47   #34

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Interesting idea... go and buy a Merc or any other "high end"car.. then ask if you can drop by the plant to see it being made...
Funnily enough, they (Mercedes-Benz) invite you to do exactly that!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 December 2005, 16:54   #35

Town: Coventry
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha 115 4stroke
Aston Martin too!

Rob C.
Old 04 December 2005, 22:51   #36
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Ok, backa few pages...which manufacturer used to use chipboard transoms then?! Scary!

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2005, 07:13   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Funnily enough, they (Mercedes-Benz) invite you to do exactly that!

Wonder, why they didn't invite me...
Old 05 December 2005, 07:21   #38

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
It can only be personal!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2005, 07:44   #39

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
Ok, backa few pages...which manufacturer used to use chipboard transoms then?! Scary!
If I said that this was a UK rib manufacturer would that make a good rumour?

Pete
Old 05 December 2005, 08:27   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
It can only be personal!
Yeah... probably... maybe the same reason a local boat builder (Hard boats and no-one on here.!!) won't welcome me back... well he did ask what I thought of his set up..... I think I was supposed to admire the elegant furniture in his craft and not lift all the hatches and poke around in the internal spaces...ho-hum...