Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 21 April 2016, 20:22   #1

Town: Guernsey
Length: 6m +
Marine Surveyor wanted for RIB purchase

Hi All

I am looking at buying a used RIB in the UK and am considering whether I should engage a surveyor for a Pre-Purchase Survey?

I have found two boats that I am very interested in but wanted to get a Marine Surveyor to take a look at them asap.

The boats are based in Southampton area and Pembrokeshire, Wales.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Many thanks.
Old 22 April 2016, 10:22   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC_Gsy View Post
Hi All

I am looking at buying a used RIB in the UK and am considering whether I should engage a surveyor for a Pre-Purchase Survey?

I have found two boats that I am very interested in but wanted to get a Marine Surveyor to take a look at them asap.

The boats are based in Southampton area and Pembrokeshire, Wales.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Many thanks.
Unless you're buying a Big and really expensive Rig likes of Scorpian Sting Goldfish Cabin Rib ect...
Id say save you're money. Just take someone you trust and who's experienced in and around RIBs and use you're own common sense...
Once you have decided on the make model and configuration your after ( often the hardest bit)....things like overall condition of Hull Transum Tubes Deck and equipment are pretty self evident and engine hours service history ect is a matter of documentation,and again straight forward and easily checked.
I would always strongly recommend a decent Sea Trial though! Ideally in a bit of a Sea...and the alarm Bells would certainly ring if the seller was in anyway reluctant.
Good luck in you're search,and enjoy the process...you're paying for it!
If it's a case of wanting a pro to survey/view the Boat in your absence ...(something certainly I'd not want to do personally!)
Then I'm sure a someone on here will point you in the right direction in the locations you refer too.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2016, 10:40   #3

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Unless you're buying a Big and really expensive Rig likes of Scorpian Sting Goldfish Cabin Rib ect...
Id say save you're money. Just take someone you trust and who's experienced in and around RIBs and use you're own common sense...
Once you have decided on the make model and configuration your after ( often the hardest bit)....things like overall condition of Hull Transum Tubes Deck and equipment are pretty self evident and engine hours service history ect is a matter of documentation,and again straight forward and easily checked.
I would always strongly recommend a decent Sea Trial though! Ideally in a bit of a Sea...and the alarm Bells would certainly ring if the seller was in anyway reluctant.
I agree with most of the above. I've had boats that I've been selling surveyed on behalf of the buyers. A waste of money on the whole. I suppose they'd spot a complete shed, but there's not much to hide on a rib.

Mind you, the 'expert' mate is quite often a shit shooting tosser.
Old 22 April 2016, 10:41   #4

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I agree with most of the above. I've had boats that I've been selling surveyed on behalf of the buyer. A waste of money on the whole. I suppose they'd spot a complete shed, but there's not much to hide on a rib.

Mind you, the 'expert' mate is quite often a shit shooting tosser.
Old 22 April 2016, 11:21   #5

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
Hi,

Assuming the boat is relatively modern and from a known manufacturer, I would agree with what has already been said, most of a rib can be inspected easily by yourself (especially if it is out of the water).

I would invest in a computer readout from the engine (if it has that facillity) typically, that will cost you about £50 as opposed to many hundreds for an official survey. The engine tends to be the expensive bit

Steve
Old 25 April 2016, 18:35   #6

Town: Guernsey
Length: 6m +
Great stuff - thanks for all your advice. Much appreciated!

Tags
purchase, rib, surveyor