Old 10 November 2012, 18:57   #1

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Marine related injuries

Having come a cropper myself this week by walking into a lowered VHF antenna almost losing my eye, interested in hearing other experiences of boating related injuries

Without it turning to morbid, who else has done what, as a result of their own stupidly etc.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 10 November 2012, 19:17   #2

Town: warrington
Make: Honwave T32
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 15 2 stroke
I elbowed an old female friend in the face as she watched me pull the recoil starter...... Whoops
Old 10 November 2012, 19:25   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
In Peterhead Marina on the 2006 ribworks I walked into the pulpit of a big fishing boat which was annoyingly extending into the pontoon. I really caught by Rotator cuff and it hurt cos I carry a fait amount of momentum when in motion. I presumed it was just bruised and would fix itself in due course. Three days later I did the same thing (that's were the stupidity comes in) and it really fkkn hurt and still does, unfortunately.

did the antenna have an indicator on it?
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2012, 19:33   #4

Length: 10m +
I will looking down a fuel hose while squeezing the priming bulb trying to see why nothing was coming through...then all of a sudden I had an eye full of petrol, ouch!
SW Boat Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2012, 19:34   #5

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
I'm starting to have a problem with my hip due to the slamming involved with this ribbing lark, "ain't getting old great" I jacked in rugby at 46 due to injuries and not recovering from them the same as when younger

I should've took up golf .... it's cheaper....
Old 10 November 2012, 19:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
In Peterhead Marina on the 2006 ribworks I walked into the pulpit of a big fishing boat which was annoyingly extending into the pontoon. I really caught by Rotator cuff and it hurt cos I carry a fait amount of momentum when in motion. I presumed it was just bruised and would fix itself in due course. Three days later I did the same thing (that's were the stupidity comes in) and it really fkkn hurt and still does, unfortunately.

did the antenna have an indicator on it?
I wish it did
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2318563146.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	74043  
Old 10 November 2012, 19:52   #7

Town: Northumberland
Boat name: Northern Storm
Make: North Diver?
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 90 Autolube
MMSI: 235096344
The biggest injury to date in my short time owning a rib has been to my bank balance! shhhhhh keep it down here comes the wife
Old 10 November 2012, 20:28   #8

Town: Poole
Boat name: Triple O
Make: R70
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
Last year I walked off a pontoon, amusing to some of my friends at the time but it was cold and I just missed a pontoon post and the harbour wall, a mate who is a military medic and was with me showed lots of concern. He knows the downside and I realise I was incredibly lucky to have missed smashing my brain/face into something. I had my iphone in my left pocket, my wife's in the right pocket and a digital camera in my back pocket. A very expensive tumble bit it could have been life changing !!!
Old 10 November 2012, 20:43   #9

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Mine is very boring .. but a lesson to all .. as it affects me to this day, 25 years after it happened

I was in a wooden boat trying to pull a mooring anchor out of the sand. Had my knee against the gunwale.. and popped a disk in my lower back, thought I was Charles Atlas at the time

Now I'm a bit older .. and wiser .. I'd have tied the rope to the stern .. gone to the bow and drank tea.. slowly ... on a rising tide wisdom is wonderful thing
Old 10 November 2012, 20:46   #10

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
I did me back in carrying the money needed to fill it up
Old 10 November 2012, 20:52   #11

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Definalty not as bad as some of these but got a slight concusion & badly winded myself when my friend decided to tow me on the ringo through a cruisers wake! Got catapulted apparently about 5-6 feet in the air & landed face first

Not a great feeling lying in the water & not being able to breathe! Never let him tow anybody since...
Old 10 November 2012, 21:14   #12

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Fancied the waterski ramp at Ullswater many years ago, hit it doing @60 mph landed on the ramp on my arse,skis flew off, went off sideways still holding the rope, landed on the skis slicing through my new wetsuit fracturing my shin (still got the scar) & gave myself two black eyes...........Never tried it again !!
Old 10 November 2012, 21:20   #13

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewhiting View Post
Definalty not as bad as some of these but got a slight concusion & badly winded myself when my friend decided to tow me on the ringo through a cruisers wake! Got catapulted apparently about 5-6 feet in the air & landed face first
when I was knee boarding .. someone pulled me through the same .. and I thought I was doing well ... controlling the board after 3 massive waves .. felt like a fooking pro untill the last one got flipped up and forgot to let go .. went 10 feet down at about 25mph and that DID hurt
Old 10 November 2012, 22:09   #14
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Whenever I look at a boat I seem to come back covered in cuts, bumps and bruises!

Best one has to be little finger between tow ball and tow hitch - stung a little bit for a month or so!!!

Chris
Old 10 November 2012, 22:29   #15

Not RIB related but I think it still qualifies. On most yachts you have a sliding track on the front of the mast that you attach the spinnaker pole to. When it's attached it sits about a foot off the deck and extends just over the bow. I was on the foredeck and my foot slipped while the boat was heeled over... Landed crown jewels first onto the pole, fell off it and rolled down onto the guardrails, scraping up my knees on the vicious non slip and putting some nice deep gashes into my hands and back from the wire. The cuts on my knee got infected and and I ended up with impetigo. Wasn't my finest moment.
Old 11 November 2012, 00:13   #16

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Fell overboard at high speed from a brand new hard boat when changing positions many years ago someone had thought that silicone spray would make the grab rails on the steps look even shinier
Woooow ,first instinct was to outstretch my left arm ,, on hitting the water my arm then went around the back of me neck lucky it dident discolate but it took months before I could use it proper. Best thing I was wearing a lifejacket good Job I did as I was totally incapacited & stunned couldn't help myself at all .

Had a me index finger just about severed when it got nipped between 2 trawl rusty doors that were stored upright .had it stitched back on but it now goes white and aches if it my hand gets cold .

Other than elbowing me old man in the face who was right behind me when pull starting an old seagull engine that's about it .

Think I have seen more accidents on the slipway than from being actually on the water in a boat , falls & slips on the slippy slipway , hands getting caught in winches , a nasty eye injury from a bow cleat failing when a speedboat got swamped & the owner tryed to pull it out full of water with the tractor .
Old 11 November 2012, 01:31   #17

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
45 years ago when water sking on the upper reaches of the R. Hamble. yes, you could do it then. I crossed the wake of a large boat and crouched down to maintain balance. Wave hit my Arse and gave me an instant enima. When reaching the beach I stepped off and kept running to the bushes.
Old 11 November 2012, 07:14   #18

Town: Ebbw Vale, Gwent
Boat name: Seabay
Make: Avon, Bonwitco
Engine: 4,25,35 Johnsons
Disconnecting a fuel line, petrol squirt into the eye. That smarted for a while.
Old 11 November 2012, 07:50   #19

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Slipped a disc in my neck climbing into the boat whilst on it's trailer. A year on, it hasn't gone back - and the numbness and pins and needles in my right arm and hand from trapped nerves is p-ing me off - so probably got to have the disc removed and adjacent vertebrae fused together
Old 11 November 2012, 08:21   #20

Town: Helston
Boat name: Myrtle
Make: Zodiac pro 500
Engine: Outboard 60hp
How many people ave suffered from recoil BITE? When you pull the cord on a cold day, it locks and nearly takes the skin of your fingers. That really stings!!