Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21 August 2001, 03:37   #1
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,801
Marine Radios

Hi there,

Confession: I did a naughty thing and purchased a hand held marine band radio and I do not have a licence. My eldest daughter is a marine biologist and she has a licence so she 'supervises' me when we are out in the boat. Where can I go to do the appropriate course, how much is it likely to cost?
I live in Birmingham.

Keith Hart

Keith Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2001, 09:15   #2
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 55
You can do the SRC (Short Range Course) in any RYA recognised centre. Have a look at for a list of courses.
It is usually done over one day or two evenings. You will then receive a licence after paying 19.

To legally use a radio you will also need a Ships Licence which is required for fixed VHF radios as well as hand held. This costs 15 a year. Have a look at

Basically you need BOTH before being able to legally use your radio.
nigelt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.