Old 16 August 2014, 12:02   #1

Town: woking
Boat name: Mid Life Crisis
Make: HM Powerboat
Length: 10m +
Engine: outboard, 2 x 400hp
Mackerel and bass in the Solent

Anyone seen any ?
Seems pretty scarce out of Portsmouth/Bembridge.
Old 16 August 2014, 12:56   #2

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Mackerel has been very hit and miss (mainly miss) although I haven't done too bad this year for them. The Bass fishing has been the best in years, probably in part due to the mackerel not being about. However it's tailed off quite a bit to what it was like about a month ago.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2014, 13:13   #3

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
7 mackerel between Poole and Swanage this morning, just trailing lines from the the back of the sailing boat as we went along. No bass for us yet, but we aren't exactly keen fishermen!
Old 16 August 2014, 13:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Mackerel has been very hit and miss (mainly miss) although I haven't done too bad this year for them. The Bass fishing has been the best in years, probably in part due to the mackerel not being about. However it's tailed off quite a bit to what it was like about a month ago.
Any tips on what lures/bait for the bass, and where to try ?

Many thanks
Old 16 August 2014, 15:17   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Other side of the Channel in Normandy, Mackerel are scarce, but bass aplenty if you know how to catch 'em...which I don't despite much trying AND I've read a book, so I don't know where I'm going wrong. Using the same techniques as the locals but to no avail. I'm going to tear the pages out o' the book & laminate 'em & fasten them to the hook, the Bass obviously haven't read it
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2014, 16:10   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Other side of the Channel in Normandy, Mackerel are scarce, but bass aplenty if you know how to catch 'em...which I don't despite much trying AND I've read a book, so I don't know where I'm going wrong. Using the same techniques as the locals but to no avail. I'm going to tear the pages out o' the book & laminate 'em & fasten them to the hook, the Bass obviously haven't read it
I know this exact feeling.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2014, 17:20   #7

Town: Helston
Boat name: Myrtle
Make: Zodiac pro 500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 60hp
I think the Bass give your page to the Pollock-because that's all I catch....
Old 16 August 2014, 17:40   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamn View Post
I think the Bass give your page to the Pollock-because that's all I catch....
Our list this year so far is:-

Black Bream
Cuttlefish
Whiting
Pollock
Cod
too many Pouting and Wrasse.

There's a disappointing lack of Bass or Mackerel on there.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2014, 18:22   #9

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
A friend caught a load of bass in the solent near bramble bank using small white feathers, when the fish were gutted they had been eating white bait
Old 16 August 2014, 20:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by topspeed View Post
Any tips on what lures/bait for the bass, and where to try ?

Many thanks
Ryde middle was throwing up a few. Try head hooking a ragworm and drifting across the banks. This works around any of the banks, but as I said the fishing isn't as easy as it was a few weeks ago. Fiiish lure are pretty good at winkling out a few from drifts and features. This is a new lure to me so I can't really advise on technique or types as yet. Trial and error, but they are good around weedy areas due to the hook point being buried in the body. If you fancy dropping the pick, find a nice ledge or bank to fish in to or over. Just work the bait up and down the bank. It can be very hit and miss but fresh bait is a must, so got looking for them Mackerel first.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 16 August 2014, 20:55   #11

Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Just spent a week on jura . I went out and took an hour to catch four mackerel . Next day none . Next day my eldest daughter went with me . We both hung the same rod line and feathers within five minutes she had nine to my none . I blamed it on her having the lucky rod . Next day I caught four but took me an hour again . Next day she yawned and said I fancy another go . Five on one line in two minutes !!!

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
Old 16 August 2014, 21:06   #12

Town: Isle of Wight mostly
Make: Regal
Engine: Mercruiser
MMSI: 235911246
Nowt off bembridge / no man's fort for us this week. Chatting with a seemingly more successful fisherman whilst digging worms on the beach, he said the bad viz has contributed to less mackerel bites lately.
Old 16 August 2014, 22:52   #13

Town: south west
Length: under 3m
Its the same everywhere this year .
2 weeks back i done 28 nautical miles and only had 3 macks all day .
Everyone i speak to has the same problem.
Old 16 August 2014, 23:14   #14

Length: 3m +
How did the lobby pots go? Did you try getting DD to set them given her Mackrel Luck>
Old 17 August 2014, 08:33   #15

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedonna View Post
.....I blamed it on her having the lucky rod .........
That can't be right, my missus has the lucky rod, are telling me there's 2 of 'em What we try & do is fish different depths, I'll drop down to the bottom & do a couple of winds up, the missus (with the lucky rod) will drop hers just under the boat to about 10m. You can see the weight on the sounder. She tends to catch more mackerel than I do, whilst I live in hope of the elusive Bass. We got 17 Mackerel yesterday all good size, in a couple of hours. Some went on the BBQ, some in the smoker, some into mackerel rillettes, the rest went to the neighbours on the campsite. The locals are pulling good size Bass at 6-12lb,,,,,,this time next year Rodney
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2014, 10:38   #16

Small hooks and feathers seem to be out fishing the larger more standard ones. I've scaled my rigs down to size 2 or 4 hooks and on a fishing comp a month ago just west of Portland I was the only one catching the fresh bait, peeved me off a bit because when it came to the comp others beat me using the macks I'd caught as bait

Still, that's the way it goes sometimes

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 17 August 2014, 12:06   #17

Really grateful for the tips - thank you very much.
Old 17 August 2014, 16:06   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
How did the lobby pots go? Did you try getting DD to set them given her Mackrel Luck>

Sorry the wifi is not very good not been able to get anything today until now . The lobster pots worked in the sense that I still have them . This is mainly down to yours and others advice . So the pots stayed put and the marker buoys looked very home made but again did the job . The weight 3 m down from the marker buoy is not heavy enough so the flag is at 45 degree angle .

In terms of catch nothing but dozens of really small crab for first four days and no bait left in . We tried to get from craighouse round to colonsay on day five having given up waiting for the wind to drop . Got within four miles but had battled against wind and chop for long enough when it got too much . Turned round a went for a brew in port Askraig . Got talking to a lobster/crab man . He told me to salt my mackerel heads .

So last night in jura I set them with salted mackerel . Pulled them in on last morning and there was one reasonable sized crab and a small lobster , more importantly there was still bait there . Now in Tobermory but not put the boat out today due to weather . Going to try and experiment more this week .

Old 17 August 2014, 16:08   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
That can't be right, my missus has the lucky rod, are telling me there's 2 of 'em What we try & do is fish different depths, I'll drop down to the bottom & do a couple of winds up, the missus (with the lucky rod) will drop hers just under the boat to about 10m. You can see the weight on the sounder. She tends to catch more mackerel than I do, whilst I live in hope of the elusive Bass. We got 17 Mackerel yesterday all good size, in a couple of hours. Some went on the BBQ, some in the smoker, some into mackerel rillettes, the rest went to the neighbours on the campsite. The locals are pulling good size Bass at 6-12lb,,,,,,this time next year Rodney

I have been dropping mine to the bottom and gradually bring it up , best results seem to be about the 90 foot deep bits near the coast

Old 19 August 2014, 22:44   #20

Town: south west
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedonna View Post
Sorry the wifi is not very good not been able to get anything today until now . The lobster pots worked in the sense that I still have them . This is mainly down to yours and others advice . So the pots stayed put and the marker buoys looked very home made but again did the job . The weight 3 m down from the marker buoy is not heavy enough so the flag is at 45 degree angle .

In terms of catch nothing but dozens of really small crab for first four days and no bait left in . We tried to get from craighouse round to colonsay on day five having given up waiting for the wind to drop . Got within four miles but had battled against wind and chop for long enough when it got too much . Turned round a went for a brew in port Askraig . Got talking to a lobster/crab man . He told me to salt my mackerel heads .

So last night in jura I set them with salted mackerel . Pulled them in on last morning and there was one reasonable sized crab and a small lobster , more importantly there was still bait there . Now in Tobermory but not put the boat out today due to weather . Going to try and experiment more this week .

I use a wide neck water bottle filled with bait punch some holes in it the crabs cant get the bait and it will work for 4-8 days tide dependent.
Also i hang some "loose" bait in the middle of the pot for extra strong attractant
good to hear they stayed put and caught at least something