Old 10 August 2014, 18:26   #21

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
A decent kill switch can't accidentally be started without engaging the KC. Of everyone had there own then changing crew means unplug and plug in new. Not disconnecting the human.
The pwc cap types (keys) are like that but the simple ones like ours (on the throttle) are just a toggle switch under a cover.
Old 10 August 2014, 18:51   #22

Length: 3m +
Toggle ones are evil. AFAIK all can be replaced for Honda style ones.

But even with toggle ones to undo yourself you have to switch it to off. To restart you either toggle or attach string and toggle...

Discipline.

Just harder to forget than someone disconnecting the red dangly from themselves and the other person forgetting..
Old 10 August 2014, 19:47   #23

Town: South Yorkshire
Boat name: Sold it !
Engine: Totallyhotsue 9.8 2S
I attach my kill cord to my bouancy aid. Wifey has a another so If I fall out she can come a get me. My Sib would carry on in a straight line rather than circle as I have the outborard steering set tight. All crew are always told how to cut the motor.
Old 10 August 2014, 19:58   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIBer View Post
I attach my kill cord to my bouancy aid. Wifey has a another so If I fall out she can come a get me. My Sib would carry on in a straight line rather than circle as I have the outborard steering set tight. All crew are always told how to cut the motor.
Unless as you make an effort to not fall out the boat (natural instinct) - you pull the tiller? Or you were doing a turn at the time of the manouvre..
Old 10 August 2014, 21:22   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIBer View Post
Even with steering locked straight it will come round and get you IIRC (big circle) nature of props (unless you have twin engines with opposite props or dual contra props)
Old 10 August 2014, 22:12   #26

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Looking at the latest news report in the rush to go to the aid of the child he forgot to wear it !
Old 11 August 2014, 02:46   #27

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
I made a belt for my rib's kill cord. Simple 1" nylon with a quick connect buckle and a grommet on the long tail off the belt. A small stainless carabiner and it's easy to put on over all clothes and wetsuits and the carabiner keeps the cord down low out if the way.
Old 12 August 2014, 04:41   #28

Boat name: Al10
Make: AB
Engine: 9.9 Honda
If you're in the water and the boat gets spinning around, the most sensible thing to do is to swim away from it, while keeping an eye on it. If it gets too close, get good gulp of air and dive.

Dumbest thing to do is to try and "catch it".
Old 12 August 2014, 06:10   #29

If its going around me I aint swimming anywhere... I certainly aint taking a deep breath... I tend to find diving with a life jacket on rather tricky...
Old 12 August 2014, 06:59   #30
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
You would think that someone whose job was to provide safety cover would have a good understanding of safety issues. Perhaps he got his P45 after this.
I hope you have a non-slip coating on your high horse.
Old 12 August 2014, 22:35   #31

Quote:
If its going around me I aint swimming anywhere... I certainly aint taking a deep breath... I tend to find diving with a life jacket on rather tricky...
A) I never wear a life jacket in the boat for that same reason. If a blind a-hole powerboater is coming at me, I would like to at least dive down 6-8feet. If I get tossed out of the boat, I'd like to have an opportunity to dive down if the boat is circling around me.

B) So, you're going to sit like a duck as the thing is circling around you?
Old 12 August 2014, 22:53   #32

B. ) Its going around me.

A. ) I've always thought I should stop wearing a lifejacket in-case the kill cord fails and I need to dive down 8 feet to avoid the prop... ...trouble is I'm not sure when I dive down 8 feet that I'll be sure I'm down 8 feet and so I might keep going down and I'll not be sure when I can come back up. How far I've swam, and if I need to come up for air if I can time it right? I suppose what I should do is go out and practice jumping of the a rib at full speed without lifejacket or kill cord and see if I can get the timing right... ...If I don't post here again you'll know my training exercise didn't quite go to plan...

I've read loads of MAIB reports where they say "Was probably killed because was wearing a lifejacket and so couldn't dive under the boat that was coming towards him" - Oh no thats right I've never read on that said that... ...I've read plenty that said "Drowned. Not wearing lifejacket, boat sailed away from him" Go figure...
Old 12 August 2014, 22:58   #33
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Hmmmm.

Old 12 August 2014, 23:06   #34
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRider View Post
A) I never wear a life jacket in the boat for that same reason..... If I get tossed out of the boat, I'd like to have an opportunity to dive down if the boat is circling around me.
Best not wear the kill cord either then. No way to test your theory if your engine stops when your ejected
Old 13 August 2014, 04:49   #35

Quote:
B. ) Its going around me.

A. ) I've read loads of MAIB reports where they say "Was probably killed because was wearing a lifejacket and so couldn't dive under the boat that was coming towards him" - Oh no thats right I've never read on that said that... ...I've read plenty that said "Drowned. Not wearing lifejacket, boat sailed away from him" Go figure...
1)Boat out of control never just goes "around you". Its all over the place like in that video. If you are strapped in a life jacket, you are a sitting duck.

2)There are plenty of powerboat accidents and ship accidents in general where bigger boat runs you over. Diving helps, believe that. Look all people who didn't know what to do and just sat there like a deer in a headlights. I used to kayak and much prefer to have life jacket next to me than on me. I kayak surfed and during wipe outs your kayak ends up 50 yards away from you when you surface. In a life jacket, you'll never catch up to it; without it it is very doable. Read #4.

3)Salt water is higher density than you by a bit, so if you are in tropical climate like me with warm water currents, you have to really go out of your way to drown.

I fish within 3 miles of shore, sometimes 5 miles....pretty much the typical small rib offshore distance and drowning is not an option. Getting run over by a blind goon is a real concern.

4) Looking like you are a fan of hypotheticals, if you are in a fast current offshore waters and your clumsy self fell out of the boat and the motor is not running, if you are a fast swimmer you actually stand a chance to catch a boat without life jacket. Not so much with life jacket.

I assume most people on here are not really good swimmers/divers, so life jacket might be a more practical alternative. Not wearing a life jacket in certain situation gives you a better chance to rescue yourself.
Old 13 August 2014, 06:45   #36

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
1)Boat out of control never just goes "around you". Its all over the place like in that video. If you are strapped in a life jacket, you are a sitting duck.

2)There are plenty of powerboat accidents and ship accidents in general where bigger boat runs you over. Diving helps, believe that. Look all people who didn't know what to do and just sat there like a deer in a headlights. I used to kayak and much prefer to have life jacket next to me than on me. I kayak surfed and during wipe outs your kayak ends up 50 yards away from you when you surface. In a life jacket, you'll never catch up to it; without it it is very doable. Read #4.

3)Salt water is higher density than you by a bit, so if you are in tropical climate like me with warm water currents, you have to really go out of your way to drown.

I fish within 3 miles of shore, sometimes 5 miles....pretty much the typical small rib offshore distance and drowning is not an option. Getting run over by a blind goon is a real concern.

4) Looking like you are a fan of hypotheticals, if you are in a fast current offshore waters and your clumsy self fell out of the boat and the motor is not running, if you are a fast swimmer you actually stand a chance to catch a boat without life jacket. Not so much with life jacket.

I assume most people on here are not really good swimmers/divers, so life jacket might be a more practical alternative. Not wearing a life jacket in certain situation gives you a better chance to rescue yourself.

Old 13 August 2014, 07:27   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I hope you have a non-slip coating on your high horse.
Yes indeed plenty thanks.
Old 13 August 2014, 15:23   #38

Quote:
A) I never wear a life jacket in the boat for that same reason. If a blind a-hole powerboater is coming at me, I would like to at least dive down 6-8feet. If I get tossed out of the boat, I'd like to have an opportunity to dive down if the boat is circling around me.

B) So, you're going to sit like a duck as the thing is circling around you?
Just realised you're an American!

B) getting shot at isn't pleasant so i can see your logic now.

A) If a blind a-hole is coming at you, why dont you move? (one with eyes would be real scary

See what i mean!
Old 13 August 2014, 17:30   #39

This kind of aproach should usually be awarded with a Darwin Award... Trouble is most ribbers have already been breading by then and Darwinism doesn't work for flaws that present after reproduction...
Old 13 August 2014, 17:42   #40

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Hmmmm.