Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 06 January 2016, 01:43   #1

Town: Lusby, MD
Boat name: Bucephalus
Make: AVON
Length: 3m +
Engine: 6 HP
Looking to Purchase Avon Rover R3-10 - Any Thoughts?

I'm new to the RIB world. Wanted an inflatable to putz around the Chesapeake Bay where I live. I came across an Avon rover R3-10 (1990) in very good condition for around $500 but I don't know much about this model. I was thinking about pairing it up with a 6HP 4 stroke Tahatsu. Does this motor sound about right for this dinghy? The dinghy can take up to a 10HP motor. Anyway, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as this is my first time around. Also, any recommendations on transom beach wheels would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

DC
Old 06 January 2016, 07:32   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
A couple of years ago I owned a mint one of these. Hypalon made and would last a lifetime.

A 6hp would be fine and should plane OK one up, perhaps even two up it light weight folks. 10hp would be a lot better though but they get much heavier usually.

Only downside for me was compared with a more modern design the tubes are small and the bow sits flat so they take on loads of spray/water when it's choppy. For their size they feel smaller to be in than the sort of designs that are common from around 2000 onwards.

This was mine and the Trem brand wheels I had fitted...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Avon Rover 3.1.jpg
Views:	3543
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	110246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Avon Trem wheels.jpg
Views:	1310
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	110247  
Old 06 January 2016, 10:32   #3

I love those wheels. The owner said he'd throw in a 6 hp Tohatsu with only 4 hrs on it for $1300 total, RIB included. Wish it were an 8 HP but then price jumps too. Yours looks really nice. Glad to hear they last a while.
Old 06 January 2016, 11:30   #4

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstalker74 View Post
I love those wheels. The owner said he'd throw in a 6 hp Tohatsu with only 4 hrs on it for $1300 total, RIB included. Wish it were an 8 HP but then price jumps too. Yours looks really nice. Glad to hear they last a while.
Technically, it's a SIB (soft-hull inflatable boat)...

I had a 1993 Avon Rover 315 Rollaway. Very similar boat with a roll-out plastic decking on top of a keel. I ran it with a 1966 Johnson MQ11C and was very happy with the performance.

You can see the amount of spray coming off...that's my fault, I needed to shim the engine up about 15mm.

Keep in mind, the boat is only rated for the weights encountered with 2-strokes... a 9.9hp 4-stroke could quickly overweight the transom by 25-50 lbs, which can seriously upset performance. You should keep the maximum engine weight at less than 100 lb.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2016, 11:43   #5

I think the Tohatsu 4 stroke 6HP engine is around 65 lbs if I'm correct. I didn't know this was a SIB as it was listed as a RIB. Kind of bummed about that...I was trying to locate some pics of the hull but couldn't find any. I'm going to see it this evening.

However, from what I've read, there are some advantages of having a SIB in terms of beach launching and transporting in your vehicle so maybe this is the way to go.
Old 06 January 2016, 13:05   #6

Quote:
I think the Tohatsu 4 stroke 6HP engine is around 65 lbs if I'm correct. I didn't know this was a SIB as it was listed as a RIB. Kind of bummed about that...I was trying to locate some pics of the hull but couldn't find any. I'm going to see it this evening.

However, from what I've read, there are some advantages of having a SIB in terms of beach launching and transporting in your vehicle so maybe this is the way to go.
Oops, I was looking at Fenlander's photo!

It could be a RIB...but it is probably a SIB. Avon did make a ROVER RIB, but it will be very obvious... the transom will be white fiberglass with gray tubes (I don't think they did white tubes in 1990). On the SIBs, the transom is painted gray.
Old 06 January 2016, 13:21   #7

Here are some pics that may shed more light on the RIB vs SIB issue. Also, I've seen that some of these Rovers have wooden floors and transoms however this one, though listed as having such, has grey flooring, etc. Were some of these models painted grey or is that an after-market deal? Like I said, ANY info would be appreciated on this model including whether or not it's a good deal, etc.https://smd.craigslist.org/boa/5333054400.html
Old 06 January 2016, 13:24   #8

Quote:
Here are some pics that may shed more light on the RIB vs SIB issue. Also, I've seen that some of these Rovers have wooden floors and transoms however this one, though listed as having such, has grey flooring, etc. Were some of these models painted grey or is that an after-market deal? Like I said, ANY info would be appreciated on this model including whether or not it's a good deal, etc.https://smd.craigslist.org/boa/5333054400.html
It's a SIB. Note the wood panel flooring? The floor and transom have been repainted though.

Two notes:
1.) Repainted transom? Check for rot! People often just paint over rot, rather than fix it. Look for mushiness underneath where it glues to the boat.
2.) That boat is missing valve caps... I think I see one dangling. If they're missing, that could be a problem. For a 100% air seal, caps are required with a good o-ring. I think that boat has obsolete valves, and caps may not be available anymore.
Old 06 January 2016, 14:49   #9

I just asked the seller about the valve covers. Hopefully he has them. Are there any other issues I should be concerned with? Do you think the 6HP Tohatsu is appropriate for this 10' SIB?
Old 06 January 2016, 15:53   #10

Quote:
I just asked the seller about the valve covers. Hopefully he has them. Are there any other issues I should be concerned with? Do you think the 6HP Tohatsu is appropriate for this 10' SIB?
Boat looks pretty good. Inspect for damage around the cones, check how well the rubrail is glued on (easy fix, just tedious), and check the material. The material should be smooth. If it is very rough to the touch, that means the material is degraded.

Edge fraying is normal, as is very minor edge ungluing for a boat that age.

6hp 4st Tohatsu should be fine. I'm 5'8 , 150 lb and I got a Zodiac YL310R RIB to plane with a 6hp 4st Merc just fine by myself with about 50 lb of tools in it. You may be able to get it to plane with 2 people, but it'll be a struggle.
Old 06 January 2016, 18:43   #11

Assuming everything checks out, do you think $1300 is realistic for both the 6 HP four stroke motor and the dinghy? The seller said he's only used the motor about four times so it's basically new.
Old 06 January 2016, 20:05   #12

Quote:
Assuming everything checks out, do you think $1300 is realistic for both the 6 HP four stroke motor and the dinghy? The seller said he's only used the motor about four times so it's basically new.
Seems fair.

Outboard was about $1300 new for 2016.

So look at it as you're getting a new outboard for $1000 and a boat for $300. I paid $300 for my Rover Rollaway and it had 2 air leaks.
Old 06 January 2016, 22:38   #13

I took a look at the motor this evening but now I'm not sure if it's a standard shaft or a long shaft. The model number has not helped me out either. Is there a way I can tell? The model # is MFS6BS 3R4. It's a 2007. The website has been useless.

The shaft length I measured was 18" and the transom height was 16".
Old 06 January 2016, 23:52   #14

I remeasured the shaft again and got 17''. So it's not a 20'' long but it's not a 15'' short. I don't get it. Did Tohatsu make irregular shafts? I guess the bigger question is this: will a 17'' shaft work with a 16'' transom?

Update: This is the latest I've found and may explain why this has not been adding up!

Tohatsu's Website Quote:

"Please note that depending on the particular model, some Tohatsu shaft lengths may be 2" longer than "standard" (ie: a short shaft may be 17" instead of 15" and a long shaft may be 22" instead of 20"). Therefore, depending on the configuration of your keel, the shaft length required by your boat may be different than the above recommendation. We recommend that you consult with your local dealer to determine which is the correct shaft length for your particular boat".
Old 07 January 2016, 10:26   #15

Do you know what kind of wood was used on the transom and flooring? Shame the previous owner painted mine.
Old 07 January 2016, 11:07   #16

Just have a look at my images near the top of the thread. It was the highest quality hardwood marine plywood with a varnished finish.
Old 07 January 2016, 11:23   #17

Quote:
I remeasured the shaft again and got 17''. So it's not a 20'' long but it's not a 15'' short. I don't get it. Did Tohatsu make irregular shafts? I guess the bigger question is this: will a 17'' shaft work with a 16'' transom?

Update: This is the latest I've found and may explain why this has not been adding up!

Tohatsu's Website Quote:

"Please note that depending on the particular model, some Tohatsu shaft lengths may be 2" longer than "standard" (ie: a short shaft may be 17" instead of 15" and a long shaft may be 22" instead of 20"). Therefore, depending on the configuration of your keel, the shaft length required by your boat may be different than the above recommendation. We recommend that you consult with your local dealer to determine which is the correct shaft length for your particular boat".
It's normal.

You'll have to dial the engine in for the boat. Bring some blocks of wood with you, varying in thickness so you can stack them between 10mm to 35mm. The cavitation plate should be even with or slightly above the lowest point of the transom
Old 07 January 2016, 12:38   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Just have a look at my images near the top of the thread. It was the highest quality hardwood marine plywood with a varnished finish.
Yeah, I was looking at those pics but couldn't tell the type of wood from them. I thought maybe teak at first. Regardless, shame they painted over them.
Old 07 January 2016, 12:50   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
It's normal.

You'll have to dial the engine in for the boat. Bring some blocks of wood with you, varying in thickness so you can stack them between 10mm to 35mm. The cavitation plate should be even with or slightly above the lowest point of the transom
That's a relief. I started getting worried that the seller sold me the wrong size engine. Not sure why Tohatsu decided to make a 17'' shaft rather than the standard 15'' version. Wish their website had more information on it too!

Rather than starting a new post,

1) does anyone have a decent set of oars they could recommend for this AVON model? I just purchased the Bravo 2 foot pump from Amazon. Hope this was a good choice. Trying to get all the needed necessities before the weather gets nice again.

2) are the hypalon restoration solutions worth it? Mine looks ok but it's also a 1990 so I was wondering if I should just hold off or use one as a preventative.

3) Is it better to leave these SIBs inflated or partly inflated when not in use or is it better to completely break them down and store them in their carry bag?

Finally, 4) the AVON logo patch is coming off a bit. Some have recommended using 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive on Hypalon. Any thoughts?
Old 07 January 2016, 13:15   #20

1) In the UK used genuine Avon/Zodiac oars come on Ebay from time to time... their two part jointed design is useful. Otherwise just get an idea of oar length from those brochure scans and buy a pair of wooden ones closest to length.

2) In my experience Hypalon lasts very well just with gentle washing.

3) Personal opinion differs between folks. I think the ideal is inflated fully to shape but not up to full pressure and kept under a dustsheet. Not perfect for many though due to space taken so most are stored packed in their bags. I always wash and dry mine before packing and they will keep like new for a lifetime if looked after this way.

4) Guess as the patch isn't structural it's less crucial but I'd have used a two part Hypalon glue not a combined adhesive/sealer like 3m 5200 which I thought was more for fittings on a grp boat etc where gap filling properties were needed. Office888 will give best advice though.

Tags
avon