Old 03 August 2004, 18:35   #1

Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
Boat name: Happy Hours
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300 Verado
MMSI: 235040122
Looking for training

I have spent the last few years living in the Carribean where I regularily spent my time on the water. I have now returned to my native North East and am in the process of buying a rib for use along our local coastline. I wonder what training you would reccomend for local regulations, water ways and local navigation...

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated.

Ollie
Old 03 August 2004, 19:57   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I am only replying Ollie, because I am amazed no-one else has yet!!

There are lots of Instructors on this website (see especially the Commercial thread area) who can help you.
Basically you need an RYA properly qualified Power Boat Instructor to take you initially through Power Boat Levels 1 2 and Advanced. You will get "certificated" at each stage.
By the time you get those qualifications under your belt then you will know a) what else you need in training terms and b) doubtles a lot more than me.
I cannot, I am afraid recommend anyone in the North-East, as very time I go further North than Hemel Hempstead my compass needle starts to go round in circles, it begins to snow and I swear I can hear wolves howling.
Old 03 August 2004, 21:15   #3

Thanks for your help, I will act upon it. As far as snow and wolves go I can only agree with you. Just spend 9 years in the Cayman Islands and feel like I have landed on the moon, however I guess in time it will make me harder!!!!!

Ollie
Old 03 August 2004, 21:26   #4

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
In the first instance........

......welcome to the Forum and well done for appreciating that some professional training is advantageous.

I'd mirror the above comments but add a point one chap on my recent Intermediate Course made in that if you are going to take a course it's often beneficial as well as exciting to take the course away from your local cruising ground as you get to see a coastline you may not normally bother to trailer you craft to.

Therefore, I'd recomment a trip to North Wales where you'll find a great many fello ribsters such as Ian, Jono, Jono Gorton, Phil Davies, Fred Bolton to name but a few without upsetting those I've missed.

Further, Jono Gorton runs a very respectable, professional and fun Training Centre in Pwllheli. Give him a call, don't mention my name but do mention the Forum and I'm sure he'll cut you a deal. Further, there's alwats a get together of some sort in the eveing and the local B&B is well priced with a very friendly land lady as Dave Manning (another N.W Rib Nobber) will testify.

Hope to see you soon.
Old 03 August 2004, 21:32   #5

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Wales Jono
North East wavelength Dave Mallet
SouthWest Dave Hickman
South Paul Glatzel
South Solent me Tim Griffin
all on rib net all worth having a look at have a chat with them all and see how you feel about who can offer you what you want hope it helps
regards tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Old 03 August 2004, 21:44   #6

Tim, superb response.........

..........every credit.
Old 03 August 2004, 22:04   #7

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Except that none of the above are within 150miles of qcamel!!!
(Sorry Tim, couldn't resist - I'll buy you a roadmap for Christmas! )
Dave Mallett was in Blackpool last time I looked at his website http://www.rya.org.uk/Regions/NorthW...p?tcId=1133107

As mentioned by Brian, have a look at thje RYA's website - http://www.rya.org.uk/Regions/NorthEast or even better here: http://www.rya.org.uk/Regions/NorthEast/tcs.asp (scroll down to "powerboat")

(Be patient with the RYA's website - it's painfully slow... aaaaggghhhh!!!!! )

And let us know how you get on!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 August 2004, 22:49   #8

Town: Poole
NE based school

Hi, in the Northe East give Ian @ Team Alpha a buzz http://www.team-alpha.com/boatmain.htm

Regards

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2004, 06:44   #9

My thought about gaining training locally was that I would learn about local slipway/access points, shallow dangerous areas on our coast, radio frequencies for various harbours/marina's... If however there is another way to gain this local knowledge then I think it would be beneficial to do the training away from here, always an excuse to get out of the house!!!

How do you go about gaining local knowledge other than by getting fines for an illegal low tide launch, running out of fuel and drifting onto a previously unseen offshore reef?????

Ollie
Old 04 August 2004, 08:22   #10

Local knowledge comes........

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcamel
How do you go about gaining local knowledge Ollie
.........with experience and the bast way, IMHO of gaining this is to link up with another local and well established boat and crew and do some cruising with them.
Old 04 August 2004, 09:00   #11

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
qcamel - You seem to have the right attitude to all this.

My advice to you is: You have some sea awareness already and comfortable on water. Go and do the RYA Level 2 course, its only a few days, it will teach/refresh enough boating handling skills and rules of the road for you to cox your boat safely in fair conditions.

The RYA Level 1 is really an introduction to powerboating and does teach skills, but you repeat them in RYA Level 2. There really is no need to do this one. I target that at young kids or totally inexperienced people etc where it makes a great start for them.

Once you have RYA level 2, you should not be able to do and pass the Advanced course back to back, as it requires you to have experience. Any RYA instructor worth their salt will not recommend you do Advanced until you have a fair few hours in a variaty of conditions. Advanced extends your skills and confidence and include such things as night work, search techniques etc.

And so go play for a year and get your hours up at the helm. After that consider your Advanced Course.

Get a few books ... an Almanac from a chandlers, it will tell everything about your local regs, harbours, marinas, byelaws etc. Get a chart of your area and study it, take note of hazards etc and plan your routes onto a slate. This will help you on your early trips and having a good plan will reduce your risk of cocking up. Make sure the weather is good on your early trips to remove yet another set of potential problems. Watch your fuel like a hawk and think fuel & oil all the time. Work out how much you are using, this is vital knowledge for when you plan to go on longer distances. Fuel management is a key skill. Ensure you have safety kit and before you go out. And finally on your early trips keep your passengers down to a minimum, you don't need the hassle on your early trips, you must remain focused ... keep it all simple, there will be plenty of time later for all that, when you know the area and boat better.

Getting experience in your area is easy. Arrange to go for cruises on this forum with like minded people. They will not only give you local knowledge and help you learn.

Have Fun!!

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 August 2004, 09:00   #12
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Or ask on this forum. There are loads of people here who know lots, right?

BTW MeMe, I am desparate to find details of a decent B&B or other accomodation in the vicinity of Pwhelli. I have asked and asked and no-one seems to know nowhere? Except you apparantly.
Pl. spill the beans. Where should I stay when I am up there?
Old 04 August 2004, 09:34   #13

A good pal of ours.......

....Ian, who is a member here, drives a big black ProSport and does charter work in Abersoch also owns a B&B. Give him a call on 01758 720151 and ask for Debs, his wife. Mention I passed you their details.

Graeme / MeMe
Old 04 August 2004, 09:42   #14
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Thanks Graeme.

(See what I mean Ollie?)
Old 04 August 2004, 13:25   #15

Thanks guys you have all been a big help. I am going to do my level two course with team alpha early next month and then spend my time on a learning curve. Any forum members from the North East please pm me as I would love to meet up some time.

THanks all,

Ollie
Old 04 August 2004, 15:00   #16

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Except that none of the above are within 150miles of qcamel!!!
(Sorry Tim, couldn't resist - I'll buy you a roadmap for Christmas! )
wow that would be great thanks Rich you are a nice guy
yes i know where Dave Mallet school is just too lazy to change it should pay more attention to my postings
tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk