Click Here to Login

Old 28 October 2017, 13:21   #1

Town: Cherbourg
Make: xsribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard petrol
RIBase
looking for information Humber

Hello, I'm looking for a new rib, and I'm looking for some owners of Humber destroyer6.00m to know their configuration, engine power, speed consomation and know the positives or negatives on this boat and if possible some photos.
I live far away from a dealer and here this boat is not frequent !!
Thanks in advance
Sorry English is not my native language
Old 28 October 2017, 17:08   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Speak to Humber and arange a sea trial fly into humber side airport not far from there to Humber workshops
Old 29 October 2017, 08:56   #3

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
If your looking for a new 6.0 m rib is there any particular reason why you are aiming for a Humber??

Would be the last on the list for the rib connoisseurs

Ribcraft Ribeye Osprey Redbay all have a far superior build quality than the aforementioned rib.
Old 29 October 2017, 09:33   #4

Town: Cherbourg
Make: xsribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard petrol
RIBase
The width for storage in a garage, the goal is to replace 4.90 rib sillinger rib use for diving and fishing.
Old 30 October 2017, 07:42   #5

Town: letchworth
Boat name: jolly roger.. I Know
Make: quicksilver
Length: 3m +
Engine: mercury 25
Hi
V happy owner of a 7m Humber Destroyer... v happy with build quality .... I'm sure biased but the post before imo is talking rubbish... spent 2 years trying out all sorts including Ribeye before going this way..... good in rough stuff nice and dry ... Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1509349341.840011.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	122522
Old 30 October 2017, 08:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by collier View Post
Hi
V happy owner of a 7m Humber Destroyer... v happy with build quality .... I'm sure biased but the post before imo is talking rubbish... spent 2 years trying out all sorts including Ribeye before going this way..... good in rough stuff nice and dry ... Attachment 122522
Collier , maybe your expectations are lower than most. I bought a new humber and basically it fell apart. Cracks in the gel coat in multiple places., rubbing strake was glued on with virtually nothing .. seat bases held down with velcro and seat bases unsealed and screwed down with self tappers. Rough unfinished fibreglassed work in the anchor locker.

Not the first one ive seen like this either. It was dreadful. I suppose you get what you pay for which i completely accept.

In your opinion is that quality or rubbish?
Old 30 October 2017, 08:19   #7

Best to ignore any insinuation ....

There is no doubt what you describe is not good enough..

Simply that is not my experience
Old 30 October 2017, 09:48   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Matt - I’m not sure they are bottom of most people’s lists. Certainly I could find you several names below them on my list, and quite a few above them. Of course if you then sort the list by price things change again, and for many Humber will offer the right balance between functionality, quality and value. The Mondeo of the rib world! Both ford and Humber have built successful businesses servicing those volume markets.

Presumably before you splashed your cash on a Humber you had seen one and new how they usually finished them? Either you were happy with that or yours was different but you didn’t complain?

When you bought it did Humber know that your driving style is much more aggressive than normal leisure, sailing/diving club users they sell to?

I know at one point they supplied bare boats and let their dealers kit them out - not sure if they still do. Certainly that is a recipe for inconsistency.

Some of the people on your preferred list have had quality issues too - it’s how they respond that stops it becoming a forum slagging.
Old 30 October 2017, 10:20   #9

Quote:
Presumably before you splashed your cash on a Humber you had seen one and new how they usually finished them? Either you were happy with that or yours was different but you didn’t complain?
I did complain and the response was that how we build them and weve had no complaints at all.
Old 30 October 2017, 10:22   #10

For clarity .... I can confirm that my Humber doesn't have any of the issues mentioned ...
Old 30 October 2017, 12:07   #11

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Humber has been around a looong time, which says something. They are built to a budget & don't pretend to be anything else. As Poly says, many were sold as bare hulls for the end user to fit out & rig. This is why you see decent ones & dogs, I don't know if this is still the case. They aren't my cup of tea, but fundamentally there's nowt wrong with 'em if you buy with your eyes open.
No good having champagne taste & beer money.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2017, 21:22   #12
Spammer

Town: Stirling
Boat name: Macaw
Make: Parker 750 CC
Length: 7m +
Engine: VERADO 300XL OB
We started in a Humber 5 metre Assault as a dive boat & it was fantastic very well made. Over 20 years ago. We then moved to a Redbay 6.1 C/W 150hp Johnson GT it was the Subaru Impreza of RIBs!!! Two years ago we down sized from a RB 11 to a Humber Destroyer 6mtr C/W 125hp Optimax. Build quality was OK but it had a list due to prop torque & the transom angle is 18%!!! Please don’t trim fully in when leaving a marina in ruff weather as I did only for the over angled engine to dig deep with me & the wife thrown onto the tubes!!! Humber D = Fiat Panda of ribs. Transom angle should be 13/14 degrees.
Old 31 October 2017, 19:36   #13
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
I did complain and the response was that how we build them and weve had no complaints at all.

So you had never seen one before you handed over your money?
Old 31 October 2017, 19:42   #14
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum Stewart View Post
Humber D = Fiat Panda of ribs. Transom angle should be 13/14 degrees.

That’s them just moved up my list. My 1980s panda was by far the most economical car I owned and in many ways the most fun!

Is there really one magic transom angle? And Humber have never fixed it? That seems unlikely? There must be some upside to it - like time to get on the plane when lightly loaded - and leave it to the helmsman’s competence to trim appropriately?
Old 31 October 2017, 20:57   #15

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
The transom angle is 18%!!! Please don’t trim fully in when leaving a marina in ruff weather as I did only for the over angled engine to dig deep with me & the wife thrown onto the tubes!!! Humber D = Fiat Panda of ribs. Transom angle should be 13/14 degrees.[/QUOTE]

Funnily enough a pal bought a new number probably about the time you did his was smaller than yours, maybe 4.8m ish fitted with a 50hp Honda and the transom on that boat was too straight you couldn't trim down far enough
Maybe they couldn't decide on the best angle and were practicing around that time
My pal had to scalp away some of the inner transom to allow room for a wedge block to get it to trim as it just cavitated all the time as standard
Old 31 October 2017, 20:59   #16

no wonder they asked you to leave the humber stand Callum recently!
Old 31 October 2017, 21:05   #17

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
......Build quality was OK but it had a list due to prop torque & the transom angle is 18%!!! Please don’t trim fully in when leaving a marina in ruff weather as I did only for the over angled engine to dig deep with me & the wife thrown onto the tubes!!! ...
So you're criticizing the boat because your engine has torque and you're criticizing the boat because you trimmed the engine in too far!?
Old 31 October 2017, 21:08   #18
Spammer

Town: Stirling
Boat name: Macaw
Make: Parker 750 CC
Length: 7m +
Engine: VERADO 300XL OB
Well a naval architect that designs/built RIBs informed me that an outboard engine is designed to work with a 12/13 degrees transom angle not 18. I was told by Humber you should not trim engine in fully. That’s the first boat I have had that you don’t start off fully trimmed in then start to trim engine out if sea conditions improve or run fully trimmed in when in rough seas. On bigger boats you even have trim tabs to help keep the bow down when engine/s are fully trimmed in.
Old 31 October 2017, 21:16   #19

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
So you're criticizing the boat because your engine has torque and you're criticizing the boat because you trimmed the engine in too far!?

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Old 31 October 2017, 21:48   #20
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
. On bigger boats you even have trim tabs to help keep the bow down when engine/s are fully trimmed in.
If that’s what they are for then surely being able to trim in further would be an advantage?