Town: Peel
Boat name: Lara
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235103959
Looking for first RIB

Hi

I'm looking for my first RIB and have been looking at the offerings on eBay, boats & outboards etc. Advice from a mate who dives has been to look at Searider 5.4s and 5m Humbers. I've seen this Searider not far from me (ignoring the Irish Sea) but it has a 2006 Tohatsu 60HP stroker on it. My mate reckons it will go nicely with this on it but the feeling I get from reading posts on the forums is that 60HP is a bit on the low side as the Seariders are quite heavy. I live on the Isle of Man and so want to minimise shelling out on Steam Racket fares let alone spending days touring the south coast.
I'm looking to use the RIB for cruising round the IOM, skiing with the kids and possibly getting over to NI in the right weather. Budget is around £5k.

I'm slightly suspicious as the listing claims that it will do 35+ kts but this is at odds with views on the forums.

Appreciate any views on whether I am on the right track or should be looking at other options.

Thanks

Avon Searider 5.4m RIB with 60HP Tohatsu 2 storke outboard | eBay
Old 29 January 2014, 06:40   #2

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
I often helm a SR5.4 with a 50hp 4s on it. I have checked on a gps and it will just manage 25kts on flat water.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2014, 11:41   #3

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I would say that 60hp is good for ribs 5.0m and under. Owner of a 60hp etec on a 4.9m valiant
Old 29 January 2014, 12:09   #4

Thanks for the replies. Seems like the hulls are the right idea but need to be looking at the upper end of the power rating i.e 90hp.

Cheers
Andrew
Old 29 January 2014, 12:16   #5

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewe251003 View Post
Hi

I'm looking for my first RIB and have been looking at the offerings on eBay, boats & outboards etc. Advice from a mate who dives has been to look at Searider 5.4s and 5m Humbers. I've seen this Searider not far from me (ignoring the Irish Sea) but it has a 2006 Tohatsu 60HP stroker on it. My mate reckons it will go nicely with this on it but the feeling I get from reading posts on the forums is that 60HP is a bit on the low side as the Seariders are quite heavy. I live on the Isle of Man and so want to minimise shelling out on Steam Racket fares let alone spending days touring the south coast.
I'm looking to use the RIB for cruising round the IOM, skiing with the kids and possibly getting over to NI in the right weather. Budget is around £5k.

I'm slightly suspicious as the listing claims that it will do 35+ kts but this is at odds with views on the forums.

Appreciate any views on whether I am on the right track or should be looking at other options.

Thanks

Avon Searider 5.4m RIB with 60HP Tohatsu 2 storke outboard | eBay
Cheap looking SR 5.4 (and open to offers) with twin set up and trailer on Preloved at mo...May be worth a look

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2014, 13:22   #6

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Cheap looking SR 5.4 (and open to offers) with twin set up and trailer on Preloved at mo...May be worth a look
I'd say that's well worth a look. On the face of it, far better value than the present eBay offering....
Old 29 January 2014, 14:07   #7

Have to admit I do like the look of that.

I know that there are a lot of factors and probably even more posts on the subject but will I not just end up with the same effective grunt as a single 60?

Any idea why the coastguard used twin 40s? Is it just a redundancy/safety thing?
Old 29 January 2014, 14:24   #8

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewe251003 View Post
Have to admit I do like the look of that.

I know that there are a lot of factors and probably even more posts on the subject but will I not just end up with the same effective grunt as a single 60?

Any idea why the coastguard used twin 40s? Is it just a redundancy/safety thing?
Yeah pretty much, pluss some more low end grunt for load carrying /towing ect..One thing about an Ex RNLA boat (if it's not been messed with too much)the job will have been done properly....unlike some I know of!
Pluss you always have the option of selling what's there (I see there's at least one person on here looking for a 40.. and going with a newer bigger single,....helps if you get it cheap either way!
It's been on a while now why not put in a cheeky bid....you never know....or someone else may!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2014, 15:20   #9

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Yeah pretty much, pluss some more low end grunt for load carrying /towing ect..One thing about an Ex RNLA boat (if it's not been messed with too much)the job will have been done properly....unlike some I know of!
Pluss you always have the option of selling what's there (I see there's at least one person on here looking for a 40.. and going with a newer bigger single,....helps if you get it cheap either way!
It's been on a while now why not put in a cheeky bid....you never know....or someone else may!
Stick a cheeky bid in before it's too late; this site has a lot of devoted 'project' guys who probably won't think twice about it and can move quickly to be honest; there's profit staring you in the face here, provided the hull and tubes are sound.

I appreciate you're looking for a boat for your own use but, as I say, there appears to be significant value in the package as advertised so I'd expect it to be attracting serious attention now the RIBnet community are aware of it.

'He who dares Rodney, he who dares'
Old 29 January 2014, 15:34   #10

Already sent him a mail. I'll see what he comes back with.

Tags
rib