Old 29 March 2011, 19:16   #1

Town: London
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp
Loch Fyne & Loch Goil Ribbing?

We are off to Scotland again to test a few windfarms... we will have to stay there for about three weeks from tomorrow to get a few windy days to test a few windfarms. I will fly tomorrow and I have arranged for my rib to be transported there by Thursday so I don't go mad over the weekend!

Just wondering if anyone has experience of doing something in these two loches? Any information / experience is appreciated.

I will be staying in Loch Fyne Hotel and will hopefully keep the rib there as well. But I am hoping to launch the rib there and go to Loch Goil as well.
Old 29 March 2011, 19:24   #2

and here is the route:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	57992  
Old 29 March 2011, 19:54   #3

Length: no boat
Vandad , I base my boat at Portavadie marina on Loch Fyne . They have petrol and great facilities . Tarbert is well worth a visit as is the Oystercatcher pub at Otter Ferry - they have a pontoon to tie up to so no dingy required . I stay on Loch Long and its worth a trip if you get the weather . Plenty of submarines about at the moment .
Old 29 March 2011, 20:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintner View Post
Vandad , I base my boat at Portavadie marina on Loch Fyne . They have petrol and great facilities . Tarbert is well worth a visit as is the Oystercatcher pub at Otter Ferry - they have a pontoon to tie up to so no dingy required . I stay on Loch Long and its worth a trip if you get the weather . Plenty of submarines about at the moment .
Thank you so much for the info,

The problem is that have to do it over a weekend. Also, another question, I have heard the ferries crossing between Dunoon and Gourock are a bit of safety hazard for smaller ribs? do you have any advice on this?!
Old 29 March 2011, 20:30   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandad View Post
Thank you so much for the info,

The problem is that have to do it over a weekend. Also, another question, I have heard the ferries crossing between Dunoon and Gourock are a bit of safety hazard for smaller ribs? do you have any advice on this?!
Vandad, it sound like you have a couple of weekends to play with? Then you not only have the Otter Ferry and Tarbet as options, but variations such as "round Bute" or round Arran - either should be quite possible in your size boat in a day.

Like many ferries they may invent a colregs rule along the lines of "I'm here every day for hours on end so have right of way" - but in a rib shouldn't be a problem just to give them a wide berth. I'd say because most people avoid them, they kind of expect it. Their wash and speed isn't exceptional, and if you are used to solent ribbing it will be all quite ordinary (whereas the master of the ferry will not be so used to lots of pleasure craft doing weird stuff).
Old 29 March 2011, 20:32   #6

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
the George at Inverary has good food, and live music. Well worth a visit
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2011, 20:43   #7

Length: no boat
You could do Loch Fyne in a day and go further afield if you have the time . Ferries are no problem - there is plenty of water . Cal Mac only run one an hour and Western 3 an hour at peak times . Never had any problems with them in a Rib or yacht . As Polwart says if you have two weekends plenty of other places to go . The Goil isn't particulary exciting and its a shlep down the Clyde , Bute and Arran probably a better call . Great run down the Kyles of Bute and Loch Riddon and Callah harbour worth a visit .
Old 30 March 2011, 10:09   #8

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Having said that Long / Goil are about as close to a Fjord as you'll get on the Clyde if you are into scenery.

Used to be a good Chip shoop at Lochgoilhead (jetty access, so again no dinghy required) but not been ashore there for ages no idea if its still around or not. Other thing to watch is the Mod Plods. If you stick to the Western shore of Loch Long (i.e away from the MOD stuff) they are less likely to have a conversation with you about your speed. I think (can someone confirm / correct me?) the limit in The Loch Long / Goil area is 12 Knots.

Again if you are looking for a "light snack" There are good Chip shops on the fornt at Largs (the Viking) and Helensburgh (I forget it's name, but bear right at 45 degrees when you come off the pier) Another good one in Rothsay, but it's up a back street and ideally you need someone to sit off with the boat so you don't get charged for mooring! (Do I sound like a Chip addict? )

If your boat is on the trailer, Oban is not a huge drive from Inverary - probably 45 mins - an hour (assuming you don't know the road & / or get stuck behind a lorry). Plenty of places to launch (Puffin, Dunstaffnage marina, the beach at Taynuilt just for starters), so could maybe spend one weekend pootling about on the west coast?
Old 30 March 2011, 12:16   #9

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
what you testing the windfarms for? Our present one grows exceptionally good mussels previous one grew very good cod!
Old 31 March 2011, 10:37   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
I think (can someone confirm / correct me?) the limit in The Loch Long / Goil area is 12 Knots.
Ahem! 7 knots through the Rhu narrows!

http://www.clydeport.co.uk/cms_uploa...Ed_web_(2).pdf
Old 31 March 2011, 11:33   #11

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Ahem! 7 knots through the Rhu narrows!

http://www.clydeport.co.uk/cms_uploa...Ed_web_(2).pdf
Interesting route to Loch Long / Goil .....

Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote