Old 29 June 2014, 20:49   #1

Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Lobster rope

Okay jura and mull holiday getting closer . Have got some pots coming . Looking at rope now . there seems to be everything from very cheap 6mm nylon rope (that would float but could weight ) to purpose made sink rope bearing in mind casual use what do you guys recommend

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
Old 29 June 2014, 21:00   #2

Town: Caribbean
Boat name: Rib
Make: Avon
Length: under 3m
Engine: 2.5 Tahatsu outboard
What depth will you be setting your pots?

How many post do you plan to set?
Old 29 June 2014, 21:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
What depth will you be setting your opts?

How many post do you plan to set?

Not sure but from reading up a bit it looks like it will be reasonably shallow on the rocks around the islands guessing 40 footish ???

I only have four pots and a 4.8m rib so probably on there own or in pairs .

Did that sound like someone who has never done it before

Old 29 June 2014, 21:12   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedonna View Post
Not sure but from reading up a bit it looks like it will be reasonably shallow on the rocks around the islands guessing 40 footish ???

I only have four pots and a 4.8m rib so probably on there own or in pairs .

Did that sound like someone who has never done it before
With four pots you are not going to be involved in a lot of expense if one or all pots go missing.

Consider the sinking rope or attach some small weights about 12/ or 2/3 the way down.

RIB owners and yachts will thank you.
Old 29 June 2014, 21:19   #5

A fisherman, they hand haul the pots out here, was setting pots in 200 feet of water and was never catching anything. He suspected thieves.

In the three strand rope heavy with mossy he made a mark for himself about 1/2 way down. Then he inserted good sized sharp hooks at 3" intervals for a 6'0" length on each.

He then marked the bouys with his initials in bright paint.

When the thieves hauled up the heavy pot they got a hook deep in their palm, the traction is to grab further down to take the pressure of the pain in the palm.
Now they had two hands each with a hook deeply embedded.

Ouch !

Served them right.

He lost a pot or two, but never any after that. Nor was there any pilfering either.
Old 29 June 2014, 21:34   #6

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
A fisherman, they hand haul the pots out here, was setting pots in 200 feet of water and was never catching anything. He suspected thieves.

Dude yer man is talking Scotland !
Old 29 June 2014, 21:42   #7

Quote:
Okay jura and mull holiday getting closer . Have got some pots coming . Looking at rope now . there seems to be everything from very cheap 6mm nylon rope (that would float but could weight ) to purpose made sink rope bearing in mind casual use what do you guys recommend

FFS .. round these parts you dont have to worry about pleasure cruisers snagging ropes .. cos the only place to catch lobsters is on inland bays around shallow tidal shore lines

now .. the rule is yo DOO want floating rope and put floats on it to help because it will snag in the tangle if you dont

when you cast a pot .. the tide will roll it back and forth .. so you need a rope that keeps it straight up

see ...... another lobster fishing gem this forum owes me a fekin fortune
Old 29 June 2014, 21:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Dude yer man is talking Scotland !
I lived in Glasgow for half a dozen years and worked in Kelvingrove. Did SCUBA training in Drumchapel.
Only once did I personally experience a crime, chap helping with a problem on my Beach Buggy (long story) me stole my wallet.

Wonderful country, great people.
Old 29 June 2014, 21:51   #9

Quote:
I lived in Glasgow for half a dozen years and worked in Kelvingrove. Did SCUBA training in Drumchapel.
Only once did I personally experience a crime, chap helping with a problem on my Beach Buggy (long story) me stole my wallet.

Wonderful country, great people.
Drumchapel is a very long way from any beach .. but I hope you come back for a better experience next time dude
Old 29 June 2014, 21:57   #10

Quote:
Drumchapel is a very long way from any beach .. but I hope you come back for a better experience next time dude
Dived in Loch Lomond, Loch Long (often), North Sea (St.Andrews), Loch Fyne.
Once a diving buddy came a cross a +/-12" fish on a line that was snagged and broken off underwater. Freed it, surfaced and asked an angler if he wanted it. That chap's face was a picture.

I had a wonderful time when I was there, no regrets.
Old 29 June 2014, 23:33   #11

Town: Kildonan, Arran
Boat name: Cowal (& Bennan)
Make: Quinquari Humber/RC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF150/DF175x2
MMSI: 235036953
No floating ropes; I don't care about you losing your creels - I do care about losing my boat and passengers. I have dealt with amateurs and I have dealt with professionals on this subject - and I will continue to do so, and win on grounds of safety at sea. Everyone else's right to safe passage beats your right to a "free" supper.
Old 30 June 2014, 05:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grocer View Post
No floating ropes; I don't care about you losing your creels - I do care about losing my boat and passengers. I have dealt with amateurs and I have dealt with professionals on this subject - and I will continue to do so, and win on grounds of safety at sea. Everyone else's right to safe passage beats your right to a "free" supper.

Don't really want to piss folk off trying to catch some grub . So if I used a sinking rope or a rope with a weight on it 2 m from the pot as someone has suggested , would that keep you happy ?

If I then cast it with just enough rope at high tide would that help prevent too much slack and therefore snagging ?

Sorry for delay sent thread then fell asleep !

Old 30 June 2014, 05:12   #13

Quote:
FFS .. round these parts you dont have to worry about pleasure cruisers snagging ropes .. cos the only place to catch lobsters is on inland bays around shallow tidal shore lines

now .. the rule is yo DOO want floating rope and put floats on it to help because it will snag in the tangle if you dont

when you cast a pot .. the tide will roll it back and forth .. so you need a rope that keeps it straight up

see ...... another lobster fishing gem this forum owes me a fekin fortune

When you say snag in the tangle . What do you mean ?

Old 30 June 2014, 06:55   #14

Quote:
Round the coastline I'm talking about its very rocky, so the farthest from the shore any rope would be is about 20 yards to get the pot in the correct tidal range ... if you can get a RIB doing any speed in there .. it wouldn't be the rope you need to worry about
Old 30 June 2014, 07:04   #15

Quote:
When you say snag in the tangle . What do you mean ?

If its its a rocky coastline on the west .. the tide and wind can generate a fair amount of wash back and forth close to the shore, which is usually where you need to set the pot ... having a rope that comes straight up helps to give you more length to recover it, because it may be that you didnt drop it on a flat bottom, and the wash/backwash will move the pot around for a while before it settles.

Obviously doing this in the middle of a bay with lots of fast craft moving about is not a good idea and will seriously annoy any skippers .. but thats not usually the best place to fish anyway.
Old 30 June 2014, 07:55   #16

Quote:
If its its a rocky coastline on the west .. the tide and wind can generate a fair amount of wash back and forth close to the shore, which is usually where you need to set the pot ... having a rope that comes straight up helps to give you more length to recover it, because it may be that you didnt drop it on a flat bottom, and the wash/backwash will move the pot around for a while before it settles.

Obviously doing this in the middle of a bay with lots of fast craft moving about is not a good idea and will seriously annoy any skippers .. but thats not usually the best place to fish anyway.

Makes sense so if I buy some floating rope and weight it 2m down from the float and keep it away from main runs I should be fine ?

Old 30 June 2014, 08:37   #17

Town: Kildonan, Arran
Boat name: Cowal (& Bennan)
Make: Quinquari Humber/RC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF150/DF175x2
MMSI: 235036953
When I'm moving slowly close to the rocky stuff in a bit of a chop - could be wildlife tours, could be lighthouse engineers - the last thing I need is 10m of lorry string (marked by a weed-covered milk bottle) round my props. Most folk hereabouts understand that if I come across such gear, it will be recycled. If it's a commercial string badly set up, a call to Marine Scotland usually has beneficial results.
(I did have an interesting conversation with a Duty Manager in a Coastguard Ops room - turns out the CG will only get involved after the event. "We're just a co-ordination service - we can't prevent this sort of thing." Good job the same opinion doesn't apply to Coded Vessels, isn't it?)
Old 30 June 2014, 08:44   #18

Quote:
When I'm moving slowly close to the rocky stuff in a bit of a chop - could be wildlife tours, could be lighthouse engineers - the last thing I need is 10m of lorry string (marked by a weed-covered milk bottle) round my props. Most folk hereabouts understand that if I come across such gear, it will be recycled. If it's a commercial string badly set up, a call to Marine Scotland usually has beneficial results.
(I did have an interesting conversation with a Duty Manager in a Coastguard Ops room - turns out the CG will only get involved after the event. "We're just a co-ordination service - we can't prevent this sort of thing." Good job the same opinion doesn't apply to Coded Vessels, isn't it?)

Okay so given that I fancy a go at catching my own lobster and am going to . I am also clearly trying to do it without causing to much hassle to others . How do you recommend I set it up ?

Old 30 June 2014, 19:20   #19
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Okay so given that I fancy a go at catching my own lobster and am going to . I am also clearly trying to do it without causing to much hassle to others . How do you recommend I set it up ?

Use sinking line with a clearly marked bouy preferably with a flag and you won't be upsetting anyone. Avoid the spots where commercial guys are working too. Make sure there is enough line that even at high tide it will still be above the water.
Old 30 June 2014, 19:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Use sinking line with a clearly marked bouy preferably with a flag and you won't be upsetting anyone. Avoid the spots where commercial guys are working too. Make sure there is enough line that even at high tide it will still be above the water.

Okay thanks for all your help .

Just one last question in terms of a clearly marked bouy do you think a full fat milk carton would be better than semi skimmed and when you say flag presumably you mean the tractor sign flag on it .