Old 24 December 2022, 21:22   #1

Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
Lobster Pot Puller

Some time ago I made an enquiry as to how people to pulled Lobster Pots up when they have a RIB. Nobody really came up with a suitable solution so I decided I needed to design something. Attached is a video of how I went about making a Lobster Pot Puller for my RIB.http://www.youtube.com/watch?=6IQnM5DYgsU
Old 24 December 2022, 21:55   #2

Link doesn't work?
Old 24 December 2022, 23:59   #3

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Looks like it was missing a v before the =
Old 25 December 2022, 01:49   #4

Yes Paintman you're correct.

Obviously a reason why my link would have the letters IQ in it.
Old 25 December 2022, 07:13   #5

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Can I suggest the rope needs a loop tied in it just far enough from the pot to let you know the pot is nearly at the tube and to give you something to hook onto the cleat. A larger diameter rope might make life easier when hauling Pete.
Merry Christmas.
Old 25 December 2022, 17:55   #6

Have you tried an aldernay ring?
Old 25 December 2022, 23:48   #7

Thank you for your response.
Oldman2, I am an old man 2. However did you watch the whole video because there was a point in pulling up the pot where I stopped to hook the rope at a pre-determined point to hook over a cleat so I could check to see if the pot was around the correct way.

This didn't work very well and after that I just rapped the rope around bottom cleat and that held it in position better.

The rope diameter is a standard diameter for our pots and is probably bigger than it appears on the video.

Shiny Shoe, The last time I made a video about how I can pull up a pot someone did suggest an Alderley Ring. I had no idea what it was, but Google supplied the answer. For some reason and I can't remember why I didn't find it practical. I think it was because it doesn't help you get the pot into the boat.
Old 26 December 2022, 08:33   #8

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Pete View Post
Thank you for your response.
Oldman2, I am an old man 2. However did you watch the whole video because there was a point in pulling up the pot where I stopped to hook the rope at a pre-determined point to hook over a cleat so I could check to see if the pot was around the correct way.

This didn't work very well and after that I just rapped the rope around bottom cleat and that held it in position better.

Yup Pete I didnt miss you hooking up, but it seemed difficult as you were having to keep tension on the now split to two thinner ropes to keep control of the pot. A loop in the main rope would have meant you could easily hook up the flapping un-tensioned loop while one hand keeps the pot tension in place.

Depending on how much effort it takes to lift the pot over the side, I wondered if you are doing multiple lifts in a session, could you use some leverage like a seasaw pivoted near where the rollers are so you draw the cage up to where two connected pivoting timbers are (currently vertical) and once the cage is against the timbers so the tube is protected, pulling down on the end of the vertical timbers will raise the pot and when horizontal the timbers would be resting on the opposite tube allowing you to deal with the pot contents, re-bait and release the pot gently using your timber.

This may of course be impractical for you but my idle mind likes to run riot given the chance
Old 26 December 2022, 11:23   #9

I've seen many a sketch of how the Aldernay Ring works and loads of yachties without electric windlasses who have sworn by them. But I was never convinced. I think the sketches show the scale wrong.

I've seen an RYA mark layer that effectively uses the mark for the same method and it suddenly makes mark laying (or rather lifting) very easy (there is of course plenty bouyancy in a race mark!)

I suspect the ease of use of a pot would be affected by the size of the buoy and and length of line from the buoy to the ring are probably the critical factors. That and remembering to recover the heavy stuff before the floating stuff...

The ring can literally be just below the float but that's not how most illustrations show it.