Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 30 July 2012, 12:29   #1
Dhf

Length: no boat
Little sound Skomer choppy overfalls

We had great fun the other day on passage to Skomer, heading into a Norwesterly f5 it was quit lively in the Little sound, but safe enough as long as you keep west in the sound, it's only 60metre wide with min 2m depth at low, but much safer than entering the Jack sound to the East. which would have had much larger overfalls, infact even the Marines got into trouble there a few years back and needed Sea King and LB rescue. We met some divers with a tidy looking rib off N Haven who were just about to dive the Lucy sitting in 40m, after a quick chat we set off for the lee of south haven, they should've had a good dive as underwater vis looked very clear, infact we seen a couple of submerged lobster pot buoys in the erea close to the N of the Neck of Skomer worth watching out for if your planning a cruise in the erea. Local knoledge can be paramount to the safety of safe passage around our UK Isles, which is why I thought I'd share my little tips, and if I can offer any further advise for anyone planning a cruise in this erea it would be a pleasure.
Happy RIB'ing folks.

Old 30 July 2012, 15:58   #2

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Hiya Dragonhawk

We've brought La Bamba to Pembrokeshire for a month to escape the Olympics in London . Last week we ran out from Neyland to Grasholm , then on to Ramsey Sound , Strumble and Fishguard . As visitors , we always find these waters intersesting to say the least . Since we don't have the local knowledge , we rely on the charts , slowing down & caution . I guess much depends on the tides & weather at the time , but last week the livliest stretch by far was from Whitesands Bay to the Strumble .

We have just bought our first towing toy to play with , just upriver from the Cleddau Bridge . Hoping for some good settled weather . May see you out & about .

Regards Bern
Old 30 July 2012, 18:38   #3
Dhf

Welcome to pemb's Bern,
Fair doo's that's a few Nm's you've covered already, would be great to meet up, I'm based at Milford marina at the mo, so subject to lock times, which are pretty good with 2 hour freeflow, and 1 and a bit hours exit/entry thereafter. Shame the weathers turned a bit sour for the mo, or I'd be out tonight, looks like we should get a break after 3pm tmo, so I might pop out up river around HW.
Would be great to film you having a blast in Pemb's sometime.
Regards
Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0568.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	70728  
Old 30 July 2012, 19:03   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
IF you get chance, go to the Smalls, I've only ever made it twice. Fantastic
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2012, 19:28   #5
Dhf

Agreed there PD I've only been a few times myself, usually in search of Storm petrols for bird lovers, we used to take half barrels of pigs guts to hurl over and attract them on a larger slower vessel. and yes I've seen many lose their breakfast, but with the rib it's posible to keep up with Petrol's and Manx for a while.
Old 30 July 2012, 21:44   #6
Dhf

South Haven

Here's a contrast from North haven, after drying the non waterproof sony cam, South Haven can be a tranquil place to shelter for lunch.

Old 31 July 2012, 20:51   #7
Dhf

It's not often we get Cruise ships in the Haven, usually just tankers and ferries, this one's off loading in the exclusion zone, and us leaving the Haven,