Click Here to Login

Old 06 February 2007, 10:47   #1

Town: Glasgow
Make: Humber,Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Johnson 140
Lifting a rib out of the water with a crane

Hello,

Tried yesterday to lift my 6.5m Humber with its dead Honda 130hp out of the water to start work on it. I tried to use a hiab with straps, however the straps were just digging into the tubes. So we abandonned it.
Not before using two long planks of wood between the straps to stop them closing in on the rib. But that failed too.

Can ribs only be taken out with a negative lift forktruck or on a slipway?
Old 06 February 2007, 11:05   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmcdermot View Post
Hello,

Tried yesterday to lift my 6.5m Humber with its dead Honda 130hp out of the water to start work on it. I tried to use a hiab with straps, however the straps were just digging into the tubes. So we abandonned it.
Not before using two long planks of wood between the straps to stop them closing in on the rib. But that failed too.

Some ribs have fitted a 3 point lifting kit. I specified one on mine when I had it built and basically it is 2 eyes on the transom and one inside the tubes at the bow, fixed through the deck. Then I had a lifting harness made up which cost £125 with Certificate for Lifting Rating (Most Marina's ensure you have this if you want them to use your rig) Have used this twice now and it is superb.

regards

Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nearly+in+the+water.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	24705  
Attached Images

Old 06 February 2007, 11:12   #3

I dont have that fitted to mine, we just tried straps around the hull and tubes.

Stephen
Old 06 February 2007, 11:26   #4

Town: emsworth
Boat name: the black stuff
Make: BALLISTIC
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200hp etec's
let the air out of the tubes
Old 06 February 2007, 11:32   #5

it still would rip the tubes form the hull would it not?
Old 06 February 2007, 11:40   #6

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
You really do need a spreader bar. Have a look here: www.dryberthing.com and see how the professionals do it. When you use a spreader bar, make sure your tubes are inflated hard, and although they will deform, they won't get pinched between the attachment flange and the lifting strop. They will also keep the load off the atachment flange which isn't designed to suppiort the weight of the RIB over four six-inch sections. Three point lifting kit like Nauti Buoy describes is ideal, but if you ain't got it, then you ain't got it.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2007, 12:05   #7

Town: Bracknell
Boat name: Boatless and lost
MMSI: Who?
All good ideas but just remember all lifting equipment is subject to the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations that stipulate regular checks and inspections that must be certificated by an approved body.

This isn't just strops, but also chains and links.

Sorry to be the Health and Safety killjoy!!

Born to stuff!!
Phil Chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2007, 12:12   #8

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmcdermot View Post
Hello,

Its not a good idea to lift a Humber just with straps unsuported like that due to their design. Its possible with some RIBS but the way the hull meets the tubes on a Humber doesn't do the hull a lot of good due to the squeezing you'll get - tube inflated or deflated.

Humber sometimes do fit the lifting eyes like Richard mentioned. Its the best way..... though the spreader bar might be OK if you feel lucky!

You could always give Humber a ring and get some advice from them. If you have the boats serial number they may even know if lifting eyes can be added easily ... or are there now!

Mike c
Old 06 February 2007, 12:18   #9

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Chitty View Post
All good ideas but just remember all lifting equipment is subject to the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations that stipulate regular checks and inspections that must be certificated by an approved body.

This isn't just strops, but also chains and links.
And planks of wood!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2007, 14:27   #10

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
They wouldn't lift mine with a crane.They said it would damage the tubes!!. Instead they took it out on a trailer.
Old 06 February 2007, 14:52   #11

Town: emsworth
Boat name: the black stuff
Make: BALLISTIC
Engine: 2 x 200hp etec's
two cranes for sale a 35ton all terrain and a 10 ton must have been doing it wrong all this time .

let the tubes down long strops its easy and the correct way when lifting points are not fitted .

and we do a rather lot of lifting over 300 boats in at the moment

we lift every rib this way on land and as long as the banksman knows his stuff its fine

althouh we have 12 ton a sub lift for when its in the water just makes life easy.

but ive yet to see a spanish yard or french yard not do it this way with a crane
Old 06 February 2007, 14:56   #12

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
Some ribs have fitted a 3 point lifting kit. I specified one on mine when I had it built and basically it is 2 eyes on the transom and one inside the tubes at the bow, fixed through the deck. Then I had a lifting harness made up which cost £125 with Certificate for Lifting Rating (Most Marina's ensure you have this if you want them to use your rig) Have used this twice now and it is superb.

regards

Richard
That's an interesting idea...

I have an eye on the inside of the hull up in the bow, next to the external eye but just bolted through the other way round (used for tying the anchor to, apart from anything else). While there weren't any eyes on the inside of the transom on mine when I got it, I replaced the ski hooks with M12 eyebolts which have "eye-nuts" on the inside so I could actually rig up something like you have... hadn't thought of using 3 point lifting!

Apart from trial and error I wonder how you work out the C of G of the boat/engine combination?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2007, 15:03   #13
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Apart from trial and error I wonder how you work out the C of G of the boat/engine combination?
Not sure, I was lucky enough that someone else had already purchased a similar set up to my rib and had done the donkey work, ie strap lengths etc and given them to Parker Ribs, who inturn gave me the length measurements so I could get my straps made up and the are spot on.

The company I used to make up the straps for me can also make them up if you call them first and take your rib over to them in Cowes they have a set that they use that are adjustable so they can work out the length required to equally lift the boat. Also the front strap is heavier grade than the 2 rear ones. From memory the 2 rear straps are 3.5 tonne each capacity and the front 4 tonne. Over the top I know but better safe than sorry.
Old 06 February 2007, 15:09   #14

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
take your rib over to them in Cowes
could be somewhat problematic

Lifting safety factors are usually somewhere between 5:1 - 7:1 I think so using 4 tonne straps is probably about right for yours if the boat weighs a couple of tonnes all in.

I'd probably never need to use it, just an idea to have at the back of my mind "just in case"

The only concern I would have is the strength of the hull around the bow eye, no way the others will pull out or break but I think the one on the sharp end is only about an M8 U-bolt and I wonder how thick/strong the hull is around that area.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2007, 15:22   #15
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
could be somewhat problematic
I realised after I replied that you are in the Falklands sorry.

Quote:
The only concern I would have is the strength of the hull around the bow eye, no way the others will pull out or break but I think the one on the sharp end is only about an M8 U-bolt and I wonder how thick/strong the hull is around that area.
Some could be a problem, on my I have the front Samson post with the lifting eye incorporated into it. The Samson Post passes through the deck where it is bolted to the deck, plus it is also fixed to the hull as well, so well and truly not going anywhere......... I hope.
Old 06 February 2007, 16:32   #16

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
I asked the same question with a post called "Lifting a Rib" which I posted on 14 August 2003.

Lots of interesting responses and photos.

I don't know how to post a link to that thread but you could do a search.
Old 06 February 2007, 16:37   #17

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Found it

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2554
Old 06 February 2007, 19:49   #18

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Quote:
Strongest part of the hull, usually. Think about the construction, there's loads of glass in there.

Also, I've seen enough sailboat collisions to know that the bow usually comes trough relatively unscathed!
Old 06 February 2007, 20:33   #19

Town: Liverpool
Length: 10m +
The bow will probably be the thickest part of the hull as you have the overlaps from either side of the hull and then where the floor is glassed to the hull, and if it has a plywood block where the ubolt is through bolted will be glassed into place aswell.

Old 06 February 2007, 20:57   #20

Town: Bala
Quote:
Lifting safety factors are usually somewhere between 5:1 - 7:1 I think so using 4 tonne straps is probably about right for yours if the boat weighs a couple of tonnes all in.
On my IRATA Rope Access Technicians course we were told to work on a safety factor of 10:1 for anything fabric, and 3:1 for anything metal.

Although those numbers are probably based on shock-loading in case of a fall.

Familiarise yourself with LOLER before doing anything.

Cheers, WMM