Originally Posted by Kernow
I'm looking at some solo ribbing this winter
Where you goin'

anywhere exciting...
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2005, 11:39   #22

Town: Cornwall
Length: no boat
Nowhere in particular, just widening my Ribbing opportunities by not always needing a crewmate!
Old 23 August 2005, 13:30   #23

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
Hi
After attending a Sea Survival course in Falmouth I got some very good advice from the local RNLI Sea Safety officer.

This was in the form of a 12 page guide from "Sailing today" compiled by the Tim Bartlett.

Considerations such as additional buoyancy when wearing foul weather gear, spray hood, auto inflation, crouch straps etc were taken into account

In the interest of safety I am repeating the conclusion on testing 30 lifejackets, though I might get told off

"We think there is real cause for concern whether a 150N lifejacket are really adequate for use with foul weather clothing. Amid this gloomy picture, though, there are a few bright spots; the Plastimo's Cruiser 150 is one of them, its light weight very comfortable jacket at a sensible price making it a good basic buy, though narrowly beaten to our budget buy award by the Parmaris lite.

For not much more money Aladdin’s Cave Ocean Passage Plus is stunning value, if money is no object Crewsaver Crewfit Plus is a very conventional top of the range jacket, while the SeaSafe Sea Explorer shows what can be achieved if you treat the EN standard as a guideline rather than as gospel. An honourable mention though has to go to Viking, My own personal pick would be the rather industrial looking Viking 1 SOLAS, it’s not hugely expensive but it’s got enough extra buoyancy to make all the difference between floating face down and face up"

I went for the Crewsaver Crewfit Plus buts it’s rather pricy, however I hope that it will last for some time and I don’t think you can put a price on safety.

Out of 25 automatic lifejackets two failed to inflate automaticlly, they did say that given most manufactures buy their trigger mechanisms from the same suppliers, it wouldnt be fair to name names.

McSalvors rocks!!

Cheers Shaggy
Old 23 August 2005, 13:49   #24

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
A lot would depend on the type of foul weather gear - a drysuit with seals will provide is own buoyancy as will the fishermans style floatation suits.
Old 23 August 2005, 15:05   #25

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
A lot would depend on the type of foul weather gear - a drysuit with seals will provide is own buoyancy as will the fishermans style floatation suits.
I agree that it depends on what you are wearing and that a neoprene dry suit will be self-buoyant but a membrane dry suit on it own is useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy
...Considerations such as additional buoyancy when wearing foul weather gear, spray hood, auto inflation, crouch straps.......
And another thing for a long time there has been an urban myth flying around about leg straps on life jackets I heard it from someone I know at the RNLI, he said that several people had drowned in their lifejackets because they were not wearing leg straps but he was unable to produce any statistics

Does anyone know for a fact of more than one case where someone has drowned while wearing a lifejacket Des
Old 23 August 2005, 15:11   #26

I don’t Des but I know when I jumped into the swimming pool with full foulies using a jacket with out crouch straps the dam thing kept trying to ride up over my head, that’s in a flat pool no wind and no waves.

I believe the crouch straps would help prevent this.

Shaggy
Old 23 August 2005, 15:18   #27

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
I don’t Des but I know when I jumped into the swimming pool with full foulies using a jacket with out crouch straps the dam thing kept trying to ride up over my head, that’s in a flat pool no wind and no waves.

Shaggy
A lot depends on how the jacket fits - if you do up the straps really tight it won't ride up anyway but a lot of people have them way too loose!!!
Old 23 August 2005, 15:24   #28

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:

Shaggy
Shaggy,
Oh I’m sure you are right, we were trained to jump in with our arms folded over the front of the jacket to stop this

But this really isn’t the issue, the myth goes that you will drown in your jack if you don’t wear a strap and I can't find any evidence of this

I don’t mind doing anything providing there is a proven reason for doing it, where I have a problem is when someone wakes up one morning and thinks it is a good idea and tries to get the rest of use to do it

Des
Old 23 August 2005, 15:36   #29
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
The crotch strap stops the jacket going up over your head. I tried not using a crotch strap on my Sea Survival course - and I spent most of my time trying to stay in the jacket (until I did it back up).

I get my life jackets from Mike at Bayblast Marine - he posts on here. His e-mail is mike@bayblast.co.uk

We have been using the Sigma adult jackets and the Omega kids jackets this season - and we've been very impressed. They don't go off when they get wet from spray or splashing - I think they need approx 20 - 30 cms of water pressure to initiate - but if you find yourself in the water, the sensor fires the canister very quickly.

Dylan...
Old 23 August 2005, 15:38   #30

I wasn’t a very good student go's in one ear and out the other.

Good fun and well worth doing the course, wouldn’t like to spend long in a 6 man life raft, got cramp after about 5 mins.

Shaggy
Old 23 August 2005, 19:48   #31

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
Where you goin'

anywhere exciting...
The cold wont stop me either. Give us a shout for a few winter jaunts. Did anyone notice the Tango survival suits that were listed on Ebay for weeks? They were mine, I had 40 of them. Amazing things, I've kept a couple back for myself over the winter.Greatest danger in one of them is heatstroke!! I've just re-listed the last one if anyone wants to take a look.
Old 23 August 2005, 20:14   #32

Chris I assume this is you, wot do you look like lol

Shaggy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60_1_b.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	13966  
Attached Images

Old 23 August 2005, 20:37   #33

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Chris I assume this is you, wot do you look like lol

Shaggy
Bloody silly, good bit of kit in a crisis though Shag.