Old 19 December 2004, 16:42   #1
Seb

Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 50
Life span of a RIB

Im currently considering viewing a Pacific 22 RIB however im a bit concerned about its age.

Its 20 years old and although i know its in need of some tidying up, i was wondering if its past its best before day and thus not worth investing the money in?

Does anybody have any opinions about the age of RIBs with regards to their structural integrity and the condition of GRP and other build materials after such a period of time? Also, what about the quality of materials etc that the boat is constructed from as i assume composite work has advanced majorly since the boat was built?

My main concern is the transom, stringers and bulkheads......are their timber inserts likely to be damp and thus unsafe to go to sea with?

Any views appreciated....

Cheers

SEB
Old 19 December 2004, 16:48   #2
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
From what I've read about P22s you shouldn't have any problems with the structural integrity of the hull.
Old 20 December 2004, 04:25   #3

Town: NIVELLES BELGIUM
Boat name: INDEPENDENT
Make: BWM RAPIER
Length: 9m +
Engine: Ob 2*250/2t yams hpd
MMSI: 235030702
My humble opinion would be - its more the way its been taken care of during the aging process. Its very similar to the female specis of this race.People who take care of there bodies both physicaly and mentally -- last much longer. That means limited c2h50h consumption ( encompasses over 80% of the brits, and a close attention to what your eat (accounts for the remainder).

GPRS- generally ages very well- The only enemy it seems is strong sunlight which will /can caused discoloration.Structural integrity should be ok for at least 15 years- but again take care of it- If its left in the water for more than 3 months -take it out and remove all growth from the hull. What does'nt age well are metal fittings, and ELECTRONICS.

Jonathan