Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 22 March 2021, 15:52   #1

Town: Hamble
Length: no boat
Engine: Bigger the Better!
Life Jackets - What sort to use?

Hi Folks

Really interested in your views on this one!

As far as I can tell, apart from the old Mae West, there are three types of Life Jacket:
Manual, Automatic (dissolving tablet) and Automatic (hydrostatic).

Personally I favour an Automatic (hydrostatic) because if I go in unconscious, I'm unlikely to find the red toggle, and if I get very wet, which seems to happen to me frequently, the LJ does not inflate.

Someone from BAE says its company policy to wear Manual, in case of getting trapped under a capsized rib. Personally, I think being trapped is a better option than being unconscious and drowning.

Learned ribbers - what say you...?

MGx
Old 22 March 2021, 16:08   #2

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
For me the biggest risk is ejection - this is likely to be at speed and I wouldn't like to say I'd remain conscious - so it's an auto for rib runs and play days.

This risk changes when on safety events where the possibility of water entry, working close to, or in the water and the method of entry, changes, so I revert to a manual.

All depends what you're doing - as the risk changes so should the mitigating equipment

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2021, 16:32   #3

Town: Hamble
Length: no boat
Engine: Bigger the Better!
Can you disconnect the auto mechanism and make it a manual for when needed?
Old 22 March 2021, 16:34   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Auto for me. I've been soaked and never had one prematurely inflate. Relatively simple maintenance to replace recharge kits which last 2-3 years. You don't need to replace the 33g CO2 canister. Periodically weigh them to check if in doubt or car as spare. Check the jackets annually is good practice.

I've had Seago 175Nm jackets for a few years now and find them very comfortable including adjustable straps.
Old 22 March 2021, 16:36   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Guided View Post
Auto jackets have a pull toggle to inflate just in case.
Old 22 March 2021, 17:35   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:

Someone from BAE says its company policy to wear Manual, in case of getting trapped under a capsized rib. Personally, I think being trapped is a better option than being unconscious and drowning.
In certain cases for very well trained crew this might make sense depending on the type of work they are doing. I "think" that the RNLI lifejackets are manual.

For us Ribbers as has been seid the bigest risk is of falling out / being ejected and hitting something on the way out. Auto for me every time.
I have a mix of hydrostatic and conventional auto jackets. Never had an auto one go off due to getting wet in service.
Old 22 March 2021, 20:48   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
In certain cases for very well trained crew this might make sense depending on the type of work they are doing.
yes - I'm not sure what BAE are doing - but if its testing new boats etc - then it might make sense that they are as more risk of entrapment.
Quote:
I "think" that the RNLI lifejackets are manual.
They are, but certainly their inshore (rib/sib) crews wear hybrid jackets with some permanent foam as well.

Quote:
Never had an auto one go off due to getting wet in service.
likewise - I've triggered a few accidentally but never through spray etc. I've had one go off in a locker but there was an inch or two of water in the bottom of the locker when I investigated!
Old 22 March 2021, 20:59   #8
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Not easily on any that I have seen. It would be a nice feature for swimming/wading to shore but I think there is a "forget to reset to auto" issue.

Have a search of the forum for something like 275N - there's lots of discussions about the size of jacket depending on what you are wearing... If you do get stuck under the hull with a 275N jacket you may find you have a real problem so think through how you might partially deflate to escape.
Old 22 March 2021, 21:09   #9

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Not easily on any that I have seen. It would be a nice feature for swimming/wading to shore but I think there is a "forget to reset to auto" issue.
Really? On the vast majority (Halkey Roberts, United Moulders) of auto lifejacket firing mechanisms you simply need to unscrew the "firing head" on the bottom of the mechanism. You can buy a cap that screws on in place for a more elegant solution on some models.
Old 22 March 2021, 21:09   #10

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I wouldn't wear anything other than an auto jacket having done my offshore survival training many times now where you have to swim out of the upturned helicopter simulator, surface & set off the lifejacket, I'm fine with the getting out of the simulator & getting to the surface but on every occasion I've struggled to either find the oversized toggle or struggled to pull it with cold wet hands. This is in a pool wearing a breathing set with a drysuit on knowing exactly whats going to happen. Add in the fact your ejected unexpectedly, unconscious or cold water shocked & the chances of a manual jacket saving you are slim imho
Auto every time unless your in an aircraft
Old 23 March 2021, 07:59   #11

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yammy 90
For me it's simple - on an open boat, wear an auto one. If your boat has a pilothouse, then manual. I have a friend who's boat sunk with his wife in the cuddy, it happened in seconds, if she'd had an auto lifejacket, she'd have been trapped.

The chance of you capsizing and still being in the boat are slim!

If you go in to a helicopter they won't let you wear an auto one for that same reason, if the chopper ditches, you'll be trapped inside when your LJ inflates.
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 08:34   #12

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
Definitely go auto - hydrostatic. I'd also choose one that has the modern shape when inflated, the left and right part cross over one another. Prevents the waves going up onto your face, secondary drowning.
For the exterior valise you want the tougher material they use, not the sort of fabric version as it wears through in a couple years of wearing, ususally around the operating head.
Most of our ones are Kru, they're a decent brand and fairly straightforward. I'd also go for velcro not zips, far easier to take apart and put back together if you have to.
Old 23 March 2021, 10:03   #13
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Really? On the vast majority (Halkey Roberts, United Moulders) of auto lifejacket firing mechanisms you simply need to unscrew the "firing head" on the bottom of the mechanism. You can buy a cap that screws on in place for a more elegant solution on some models.
I wasn't aware you could but a "blank cap" - that's interesting. I've never owned an HR so can't comment there - but the UM types the mechanism is (usually) inside the jacket so i don't consider that "easy", I'm looking for a lever you swing with a great bit yellow tag that says "Manual" on it so you don't forget to put it back, not open the zip/velcro, remove firing head (putting it somewhere safe and dry - in fact I guess that's why the UM ones don't have a disable auto lever - because it would be hard to protect the pill from water when you take an intentional swim), then carefully reclose the jacket. Go in the water. Reverse the procedure.

I think the benefit would be if you want to swim/wade ashore, need to enter the water to help someone else or untangle a pot line etc. So almost instant auto/manual.
Old 23 March 2021, 10:13   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCh View Post
I have a friend who's boat sunk with his wife in the cuddy, it happened in seconds, if she'd had an auto lifejacket, she'd have been trapped.
Disaster, seized from the Jaws of Victory.

Old 23 March 2021, 12:16   #15

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Disaster, seized from the Jaws of Victory.

.......Lockdown getting to you too then??

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2021, 15:46   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post

.......Lockdown getting to you too then??
Lockdown? Oh no - I'm still at work.

My problem is we work in the same place.

Old 01 April 2021, 18:15   #17

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I have both on board. I usually wear a manual, but if I have less competent passengers, they get the autos.

On a yacht I'd always go with auto since the most likely scenario is getting banged on the head by the boom on the way in.

And to the point above - some of the modern spec ones are great, very comfortable.

But if you want to go really fast - Hutchwilco Race Jacket is the best of the best.
Old 01 April 2021, 23:01   #18

Town: Sainte-Marie, Quebec
Make: Zodiac Ribster 530
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90HP Evinrude E-Tec
Hello!
I will let other peoples discuss about manual or automatic.
We have two, both with automatic hydrostatic activation. My advice is; take the time to really try them. The comfort level is not the same for one model to the other. We have a Mustang MD3153 and a MD5153, the MD5153 is more comfortable, especially for the back of the neck on a hot day. If you have the chance to borrow one for a complete day you will know if this particular model is comfortable for you.
Best regards.