Click Here to Login

Old 10 February 2006, 15:52   #1

Town: London
Boat name: Jigsaw2
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu
Launching Sites near East London??

As I am new to RIB's, having just bought a Zodiac 4.7, I am keen to try it out. We live in East London and are trying to identify launch sites where we can trial the new boat. Any suggestions? I would be particularly interested to here of any inland, non-tidal, launch sites locally where we can debug the boat without the danger of ending up in Belgium if it anything breaks.

My brother is suggesting Two Tree Island near Canvey for an early Sunday launch this weekend, anybody used this slip or can suggest local option that might serve a novice??

Although I am new to RIB's I have been playing with large yachts for years so I am familar with col regs, tides, etc the bit that is new is the management of a power driven vessel, particularly launch and recovery. I am more used to 12 metre yachts than small RIB's.

Many Thanks

Paul.
Old 10 February 2006, 16:07   #2

Town: mansfield
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Not familiar with where you intend to launch. But try this. An excellent resource. http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/

Oh and welcome to rib-net
Old 10 February 2006, 16:32   #3
JCW

Town: Essex
Boat name: Inflatable
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha F6
Send a message via AIM to JCW
Paul,
I have used two tree island on a number of occasions.
The slip has a very gentle slope so you will need to detach the trailer when launching and attach a rope when recovering. At HW you can launch off the side of the slip without the need to unhook the trailer.
Check your charts of the area and follow the Ray gut to Southend pier and you have + or - 3.5 hrs HW to launch and recover.

An alternative in the Southend area is Thorpe bay, much steeper but sandy so you will need a 4x4.

Another option is the slip next to Poplar rowing club on the lsle of dogs, this is probably nearer to you as well.

Best of luck with the Rib.

JCW
JCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2006, 17:09   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey__viper
Not familiar with where you intend to launch. But try this. An excellent resource. http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/

Oh and welcome to rib-net
Agree but it is also well worth a look with Google Earth as well.
Old 10 February 2006, 18:24   #5

Hi Paul

If you're unfamiliar with launching I'd avoid launching on the thames where the current is extremely swift - choose a marina.

Me & Phil Davies will no doubt launch at Bradwell (Blackwater) in the next few weeks. You're welcome to come along & we can help you out.

Cheers
Old 11 February 2006, 09:15   #6

Town: mansfield
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Agree but it is also well worth a look with Google Earth as well.
All in good time codders, all in good time
Old 11 February 2006, 12:33   #7

Town: Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McCarthy
As I am new to RIB's, having just bought a Zodiac 4.7, I am keen to try it out. We live in East London and are trying to identify launch sites where we can trial the new boat. Any suggestions? I would be particularly interested to here of any inland, non-tidal, launch sites locally where we can debug the boat without the danger of ending up in Belgium if it anything breaks.

My brother is suggesting Two Tree Island near Canvey for an early Sunday launch this weekend, anybody used this slip or can suggest local option that might serve a novice??

Although I am new to RIB's I have been playing with large yachts for years so I am familar with col regs, tides, etc the bit that is new is the management of a power driven vessel, particularly launch and recovery. I am more used to 12 metre yachts than small RIB's.

Many Thanks

Paul.
Paul,

Two tree is challenging as its such a gentle slope. Also the tide comes in darn fast. I only launched once there (6.5m RIB) and never again. Other alternatives from East London are River Crouch either Hullbridge (slip HW +/- 2hrs, easier if you have a 4x4) or the marina at Burnham on Crouch. The Crouch, particularly this time of year is sheltered and pretty empty for playing with your new boat. Other alternative is Bradwell on the Blackwater. Good concrete slip HW+/- 4hrsish and lots of the Blackwater to play on.

Both Bradwell and Burnham are quite a drag down B roads from East London. (I used to keep a RIB in storage at Upminster.) Another alternative that is further away in distance terms but just as quick to get too with better roads is Suffolk Yacht Harbour at Levington on the Orwell. Slip pretty much useable and any state of the tide and you have the large sheltered area of the Stour and Orwell to play on.

HTH,
Alan
Old 11 February 2006, 13:05   #8

Town: Crawley,West Sussex
Boat name: Droopy 2
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90hp
Paul,
There is a slipway at the end of Woodman Way,Woolwich,right next to Royal Victoria Gardens.Would advise at least two bodies to launch as slip is rather steep and very slippery,really best on an incoming tide.Also,make sure car and trailer are secured thoroughly whilst you are away as the local bored and depraved (deprived!!) morons can be overly interested in anthing that isn't welded down!!
This is my first post on Ribnet,have been reading everybodies input for the last year or so,thought should have a go myself.
Am a very good mate of Nashers,have known him since he was a sprog of about 10 years,am a committed scuba diver,used to be a member of the London Fire Brigade Dive Club,own an old Avon Searider which is about 25 years old which has been completely refurbished,new tubes 2 years ago by Olmec (very,very good !!) and last year splashed out on a new Tohatsu 90 LPDI Engine (also very,very good).Can be found mostly out with Nasher off Hayling and every August cruising and diving in Start Bay,Devon.Will be at Nashers night out on the 13th.looking forward to meeting everyone.
Am curious about this 'dogging' thing,does this mean my Jack Russell will be welcome ??
Old 11 February 2006, 13:24   #9

Town: london
Boat name: Frances May
Make: vailant DR450
Engine: mercury 50 hp
Send a message via Yahoo to Daniel TD5
paul

docklands rowing club is the best place all tide access right next to
the greenwich foot tunnel

dan
Old 11 February 2006, 14:24   #10

Boat name: Jigsaw2
Engine: Tohatsu
Made a choice

We are going to try Wat Tyler park in Basildon around HW on Sunday, we are told by the local ribshop that it is good access and easy launching.Anybody else tried it there?
Old 11 February 2006, 18:42   #11

Boat name: varies
Make: n/a
Length: n/a
Engine: varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McCarthy
We are going to try Wat Tyler park in Basildon around HW on Sunday, we are told by the local ribshop that it is good access and easy launching.Anybody else tried it there?
I've launched at 'Rock Weiler' Country Park a few times, it is ok but you need to make sure that the park is open and the gate across the slip is unlocked. The flows are pretty tame though.

Also, you'll have a pretty small tidal window to get through Vange and Holehaven Creek's and into the main river Thames and back, as the channel dries quite quickly and is pretty narrow in places. Especially as there is an 8 knot limit in all of the tidal Creeks in the Thames. However, if you are just looking to launch and moor elsewhere, then you'll be fine. Give the local Coastwatch boys a wave when you leave Holehaven, they are a friendly bunch and often will make you a cup of tea if you say hello.

Also, if you are coming back in to retrieve the boat, then make sure that you stay in the channel in Holehaven creek, i.e. hug the line of fishing boats and don't go around the back of the island near the refinery. The water is very shallow and I got lured in there when I saw a boat and waterskier, it was only when the skier fell off and stood up I realised it was only a couple of feet deep and their boat had a jetdrive! We had to get out of our Tornado and push it back into deeper water!

Hope it goes ok.

t