Old 17 October 2006, 10:37   #1

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Launching langston Harbour Eastney

Some advice would be appreciated on launching at Langston Harbour on the Southsea side. I have used langston on the Hayling side many times and am aware of its strengths and weaknesses.
How does the other side compare. Is there a cost involved, (£10 on langston side), whats the parking like, (£9 on other side), and what is the clientel like, (Bit chavish on the langston side).

I am looking at launching there on saturday.

Many thanks in advance.

Nick R.
Old 17 October 2006, 18:27   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Nick

Hi.
To the best of my knowledge the other side is free unless you get caught by the harbour master for dues once you've launched.
The road leading up to it can be a bit rough, and the slip appears to get covered in shingle a bit quicker than the Ferry Inn one. But unless you are a member of the ECA there are no facilities.

Remember that on the Hayling side you do have public toilets, and the pub, plus this time of year the pub car park is free, and the harbour master doesn't often bother to collect the harbour dues.

My other thought is that I'd rather leave my car and trailer on the Hayling side in the pub car park wher there are people around all day.

Nasher.
Old 17 October 2006, 18:43   #3

Town: Ilford
Boat name: El Rekko
Make: DUX
Length: under 3m
Engine: 8hp OB
Launching Langstone Harbour

Biggles
I have used both wouldn't particularly favour either. As Nasher says you are more likely to avoid launching fee on the West side. Parked in both places until the early hours many times with no problems. Last time I was at the West side there was a height bar on the car park that meant my pal parking his Transit size van just outside. May not be there now though and wasn't a big deal anyway. Summer months finds many of the jetski fraternity, with all that entails, present; probably long since laid up their toys!
Old 18 October 2006, 13:20   #4

Nasher,

When does the free parking start on Hayling. I haven't been down for a while but I thought it was 1 November. is it earlier.

Thinking about it because I have a novice RIB person coming with me on Saturday with no Drysuit I'm pretty well forced to launh from the Hayling side.

I'm not too bothered about paying harbour dues, although I did have a year ticket on the boat I sold, because I know the Harbour master does a good job.

Hopefully its quiet in the pub now. Last time I was there I witnessed my mother nearly being run over by a chav who promptly reversed into another car then drove off.

Shame you can't have open season on Chavs.
Old 18 October 2006, 17:13   #5

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Nick

The long mud and gravel council car park is free from the 1st November, but the pub car park is free from when ever the elderly lady who collects the money doesn't want to sit outside any more. Normally the end of August.

It was certainly free for several weeks before we did the Yarmouth cruise.

Nasher.
Old 19 October 2006, 10:50   #6

I was going to try and use the pub car park. Last time I went and asked the Bar Maid for permission and she wasn't interested, what I did.
The old woman hasn't been there since the cafe electrics burnt out. Sometimes the Landlord comes out and pulls the gate down if the car park is getting full.