Old 10 March 2016, 15:43   #1

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Sea Mist
Make: Quayline
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard
Launching in and around Bournemouth

Good afternoon all.

I have recently bought a 16ft boat and looking for any advice on the best places to launch in and around the Bournemouth area.

I am aware there is a slipway at Christchurch Quay but believe this is very tidal dependent and one can only launch a hr or so either side of the high tide, which is not very helpful

Hopefully someone can help

LoveFishing
Old 10 March 2016, 19:55   #2

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Few options around Poole.

Baiter park.
About £11 for launching a all day parking with hose tap access (need to bring your own hose)
Tide dependant.
I have launched my 17ft fletcher at a very low tide down there but managed it. You have to go off end of slipway.

Lake road.

Free public slipway.
Parking on the road.
Width restrictions of 6'1" I think.
Tide dependent.

Other than that your looking at marinas which cost £35+ for launching. (Cobs quay, parkstone bay marina etc)

Between Poole and Christchurch there's no slipways.

I always launch in Swanage but when I do go to Poole baiter park is always my favourite due to price, parking, location and ease of use.
Old 14 March 2016, 21:44   #3

Town: Hampshire
Length: no boat
Mudeford,
I've never launched there but gave been told the tide runs quite fast and it's a bit tricky if high tide, but on the plus plenty of space to park a trailer
Old 26 March 2016, 20:35   #4

Town: Gillingham Dorset
Boat name: Green Marlin
Make: Quickilver
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Mariner
Another Baiter regular here, its always quite easy there, except in a strong crosswind or at spring lows. Otherwise its easy parking, good access to Poole Harbour & easy to be out at sea in 10 mins. It's only ever busy on b/h weekends & even then they open the field for parking.

Lake road is great if you have a small boat & trailer, its free & parking in the road is always possible.

I use Cobb's quite a bit but will tend to stick the boat in the water for a week at a time & keep it on a pontoon, its not that expensive for a week & includes launching & trailer parking. Works out cheaper than towing up & down if the weather is looking good the week.
Old 02 April 2016, 09:37   #5

Boat name: Jetset
Make: Demon Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 225 Opti
Have you tried a search on boatlaunch.co.uk

I find this very useful
Old 13 April 2016, 21:48   #6

Town: Hertfordshire
Length: 7m +
For free launching in Christchurch, the quay is the the best slipway.
Mudeford is near the sea (benefitting the tidal issue, saving about 20 mins depending if you abide to speed limits &#128521 but they charge for the privilege.
Poole is a much larger harbour, hence the no tide issues but for a first time boat user Christchurch is much more small boat friendly, and as there are two highs every 12 hours if you plan your time and choose your days this is no major issue.
Old 14 April 2016, 08:55   #7

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzbang View Post
For free launching in Christchurch, the quay is the the best slipway.
Mudeford is near the sea (benefitting the tidal issue, saving about 20 mins depending if you abide to speed limits &#128521 but they charge for the privilege.
Poole is a much larger harbour, hence the no tide issues but for a first time boat user Christchurch is much more small boat friendly, and as there are two highs every 12 hours if you plan your time and choose your days this is no major issue.
I nearly always use Wick Lane slip, just be aware of the small ledge at very bottom of slip, (Low tide) can give a few problems.
steco1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2016, 13:04   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Coast
Boat name: PLAYER 1
Make: Zodiac
Engine: OB/P/250
MMSI: 235090989
RIBase
The launch window at Christchurch Quay is way bigger than an hour each side of high water. Obviously depending on the Spring/neap. It's just very busy on a Sunday at 4.00PM when the sun's been out.
Old 14 April 2016, 13:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries View Post
The launch window at Christchurch Quay is way bigger than an hour each side of high water. Obviously depending on the Spring/neap. It's just very busy on a Sunday at 4.00PM when the sun's been out.

It sure is,,you still using your mooring ?
Old 14 April 2016, 14:08   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Coast
Boat name: PLAYER 1
Make: Zodiac
Engine: OB/P/250
MMSI: 235090989
RIBase
Taking a break from it this year. I've put the boat up for sale, but don't really want to sell it. Kids have a lot of horse riding and taekwondo events this year and I thought I'm only going to be upset about not using it. Did the usual and got it all clean and ready and then thought - nah too good to sell and it's just perfect for my mostly female crew. If the weather forecast is great on a long weekend I'll stick it in the water. Otherwise it will be occasional fun with the little Ribeye.
Old 14 April 2016, 14:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries View Post
Taking a break from it this year. I've put the boat up for sale, but don't really want to sell it. Kids have a lot of horse riding and taekwondo events this year and I thought I'm only going to be upset about not using it. Did the usual and got it all clean and ready and then thought - nah too good to sell and it's just perfect for my mostly female crew. If the weather forecast is great on a long weekend I'll stick it in the water. Otherwise it will be occasional fun with the little Ribeye.
I shall look out for you round and about, just keep it serviced its not costing you anything, as you say too good to sell !!
Old 07 February 2017, 20:49   #12

Town: Manchester
Make: T38
Length: 3m +
Engine: E25
Hello guys I am new in your community and my name is Marius

Planning to open 2017 fishing season and try Baiter slip in Poole harbour. I have Honda T38 + Yamaha 9.9 outboard. Little bit worried about leak of power coming back from sea to Poole harbour at low tide. Is it possible or I should even not think about it?
Any of you have experience coming back from sea to Poole harbour with "small" outboard? Asking because I've seen Christchurch entrance at low tide and current was very, very strong.

P.S. Sorry for my poor English. I hope you understand everything I wrote. Learning on the way
Old 09 February 2017, 06:17   #13

Town: swanage
Make: Thundercat
Engine: Tohatsu 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius View Post
Hello guys I am new in your community and my name is Marius

Planning to open 2017 fishing season and try Baiter slip in Poole harbour. I have Honda T38 + Yamaha 9.9 outboard. Little bit worried about leak of power coming back from sea to Poole harbour at low tide. Is it possible or I should even not think about it?

Any of you have experience coming back from sea to Poole harbour with "small" outboard? Asking because I've seen Christchurch entrance at low tide and current was very, very strong.

P.S. Sorry for my poor English. I hope you understand everything I wrote. Learning on the way

I've done it once before with a small engine (5hp) years ago with two people in a small sib.

I went though when the tide was dropping and safe to safe I wouldn't want to do it again! We made it but the engine had a good work out!

It'll be okay and other state of tide or when it's on the flood.