Old 18 January 2007, 08:21   #21

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
so threads like this make his day!

John
Only half a day, for a full one we'd need another "drilling hole" or "console change" thread!

Old 18 January 2007, 08:22   #22

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Mr Fuller

Just to make your day complete.

I have to admit this totaly unsuitable piece of hardware lives in the bottom of my kit box.

It is hard to believe now that my parents brought me this almost 25 years ago for my 15th Birthday when we were all into diving.

Nasher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knife.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	24337  
Old 18 January 2007, 09:06   #23
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Mr Fuller

Just to make your day complete.

I have to admit this totaly unsuitable piece of hardware lives in the bottom of my kit box.
You're not the only one-I've got one of these that lives aboard. I've ground the tip off though so I can't stab the tubes by mistake...

I've also got the floating filleting knife on board but that stays firmly locked away unless I'm filleting fish on the shore.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	survivalknife.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	24338   Click image for larger version

Name:	fd_1_b.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	24339  

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2007, 09:45   #24

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
gArfie

got his from the Crewsaver people, It's similar to an open razor and it's called the CrewShaver
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2007, 10:53   #25

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
or "console change" thread!
I wonder if you know how close you came to having your wish granted

Pete
Old 18 January 2007, 16:24   #26

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Jono,

I tried to take some closeups of the rounded tip of the CRKT bearclaw blade. As you can see from the photos, the concave inset of the serrated blade greatly reduces the likelihood of accidentally slashing a tube even if one is frantically trying to cut through rope or webbing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bearclaw1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	24348   Click image for larger version

Name:	bearclaw2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	24349   Click image for larger version

Name:	bearclaw6.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	24350   Click image for larger version

Name:	bearclaw7.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	24351  
Old 18 January 2007, 16:29   #27

The sheath holds the knife very securely while allowing very quick disengagement as well. a few more pictures;
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bearclaw8.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	24352   Click image for larger version

Name:	bearclaw3.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	24353   Click image for larger version

Name:	bearclaw4.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	24354   Click image for larger version

Name:	bearclaw5.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	24355  
Old 18 January 2007, 17:44   #28

Town: Bala
Length: no boat
I personally use the teflon coated hook-tipped rescue knife shown on the first page. It is slightly bulky for my preference, but the hook tip is very useful for my purposes; and there is a very positive locking action in it's sheath.

Re the BearClaw style of knife - here is a quote from another email list that I am on -

Lastly one story of a self-rescue with a knife when a spray skirt snagged behind a kayaker and needed to be cut free. He attributes his life to a knife I believe called a "bear claw", curved blade with a large hole in the blade. During the long ordeal he attributes the hole in the blade with saving his life... "no other knife would have allowed me to keep a grip on the knife with numb hands and repeatedly slash behind me to cut the sprayskirt free."

Regards, WMM
Old 18 January 2007, 19:45   #29

WMM,

I did a search and came across this discussion about lifejacket knives, which also mentioned that same kayak incident.

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/viewtopic.php?t=12000

What amazes me is how many of these people think that their lifejacket knife should be used as a general purpose knife . They just don't get it.
Old 18 January 2007, 19:55   #30

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Prairie

Is this the same as yours?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BEAR-CLAW-FULL...QQcmdZViewItem

Jono
Old 18 January 2007, 20:12   #31

Town: Galway
Boat name: rockhopper
Make: ballistic
Engine: petrol
MMSI: TBC
Gerber is possibly the best make and make sure its Titanium.
thats the real stainless steel and strong blade too. Also get serrated blade.
Keep the blade small for usefulness.

"The Arm Chair Chemist"

Good god Praire, thats some knife,,, Jack the ripper.
I hate knives...

By the way, do you know that Titanium will not set of Airport Securtiy. My watch is Titanium and Ceramic. I tried it with the consent of Airport security goingto Boston Last week...
Old 18 January 2007, 20:16   #32

Actually on reflection, you are all a bunch of Limerick men. I never thought that buyinga Rib was worse than buying a HArley Daividson and joining hells angels... I have never seen such a bunch of Knives.
We should call this forum
Knives and Camera corner...
Old 18 January 2007, 21:00   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Garton View Post
Prairie

Is this the same as yours?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BEAR-CLAW-FULL...QQcmdZViewItem

Jono
Jono,

There are 3 versions of the bear claw. The version I have is the '2510' which has the rounded, blunt nose as shown in my pictures and is meant specifically for inflatable river rafting emergency rescue.

The other 2 versions, the '2500' & the '2515' have very sharp noses for penetration and are designed for personal protection (particularly for women). The 2500 has a non-serrated edge, while the 2515 has a serrated edge. I think these latter 2 versions are the ones that, as Aiden noted, would make jack the ripper proud.

From what I can see, the version in the ebay listing you linked appears to be the 2515.

http://www.crkt.com/bearclaw.html

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BCGRP07dnsz.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	24358  
Old 18 January 2007, 21:23   #34

Jono,

After looking some more at the knife in the ebay listing, I'm pretty sure that it is a generic knock off of the 2515, and not a genuine CRKT made knife.
Old 18 January 2007, 22:30   #35
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Jono,

After looking some more at the knife in the ebay listing, I'm pretty sure that it is a generic knock off of the 2515, and not a genuine CRKT made knife.
It looks familiar. I think it's made by the same people that make this:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GUTHOOK-BLADE-...QQcmdZViewItem

They were available last year in bulk for £1 a time. I bought one. It's crap. The 'line cutter' doesn't even have an attempt at a blade in it.

Old 18 January 2007, 23:20   #36

A knife attached to a lifejacket or PFD is there for one purpose, and one purpose only. To save a life.

Technical Rescue Magazine - http://www.t-rescue.com/ - ran a group test on Rescue knives in either issue 47 or 46. Unfortunately, it's not available online.

The last time I was doing a Swiftwater & Flood Rescue Technician refresher at Holme Pierrepont we did an interesting little exercise that highlighted some of the more popular brands design flaws.

We were simulating a foot entrapment, but rather than the classic "under a rock" scenario, we were using a rope that we tied round one leg to simulate it getting tangled in something under the water. The Tech then had to stabilise their position, locate their knife or shears, locate the rope under the water and release themselves.

Problems with folding blades not opening very easily when you are wearing thick WET gloves, problems with the catches on the sheaths not being easy to operate with thick WET gloves on. The handy clips and loops, clipping and looping themselves onto places that we didn't want them to clip/loop. Some people learnt some very valuable lessons about places to mount the knife on their PFD.... not in a pocket, not in a place where you might stab/slash your face/neck when you take the knife out, in a place that you can easily reach with both hands.

One handed operation is vitally important, and on that basis alone, I will never use a folding blade as my rescue knife. Blunt tips are a good idea around inflatables.

Remember though, the more expensive the knife.. the more likely you are to loose it to the river/sea bottom. On that basis, certain rescue experts recommend the TuffCut style of scissors that paramedics use.... they only cost a couple of quid, you can use them with one hand, and they'll cut through pretty much everything, and if you loose them it doesn't matter.

Cheers, WMM
Old 18 January 2007, 23:28   #37
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteminiman View Post
One handed operation is vitally important, and on that basis alone, I will never use a folding blade as my rescue knife. Blunt tips are a good idea around inflatables.

Remember though, the more expensive the knife.. the more likely you are to loose it to the river/sea bottom. On that basis, certain rescue experts recommend the TuffCut style of scissors that paramedics use.... they only cost a couple of quid, you can use them with one hand, and they'll cut through pretty much everything, and if you loose them it doesn't matter.

Cheers, WMM
Good point.

I think I might grab one of those cheapo bear claw copies and rework the tip on the bench grinder.

Old 18 January 2007, 23:59   #38

What is the law on carrying knives.
Anyone know. What ever reason you can carry them, regardless of intended purpose.
I ask this because (on a similar vein) in Ireland many people drive around on provisional license.
It is illegal and the police turn a blind eye to it, until it suits them not to.
It is in fact illegal here to drive on Provisional license. One must have a fully licensed adult in the car (fat lot of good it would do).

I seem to think that recently a provisional licensed driver uner 21 years old had permission to drive their parents car and knocked down someone.
I believe the person lived but regardless of how bad it was, the driver was done for driving without license (illegal) and the parent was done for allowing consent. You may all agree with this but not if teh Police seem to think its ok until its not.
So too with carrying knives. I do not agree withcarrying knives unless boating or climbing etc. What about between Car and Boat as in carrying the knife on your person whilst leaving your car to go to your boat???????

We have a few Gobeens over here making so many laws that I shudder every time I see a Cop car. Sort of Law enforcement phobia. They are gonna get me, for what I dont know but they will, gotta hide....
Old 19 January 2007, 00:16   #39

From - http://www.bkcg.co.uk/guide/law.html

What You Can't Have ...
The following items are banned from sale within the UK (although if you already own one you may keep it, but not use it outside of your own property) ... Switchblades, automatics or 'flick-knives', gravity knives, balisongs or 'butterfly knives', push daggers, belt buckle knives, sword canes, or knuckle-duster knives.

Late on in 2004, an amendment to the law was introduced which restricts the sale of any knife which is not readily detectable by the normal methods of detection, ie: either x-ray or metal detection, unless it can be proven that the knife's sole purpose is for the preparation of food. So for instance, the Cold Steel CAT Tanto or Lansky Knife are now prohibited within the UK.

You may not buy any knife designed to look like something else, for instance a knife which appears to be a pen, (and it doesn't matter whether the pen works or not, it's still a concealed weapon).

What You Can Carry ...
The Criminal Justice Act (1988) says that you may carry a knife with a blade length of 3.0" or less so long as it is capable of folding. That means no fixed blade knives. But use your loaf - a knife has no place at a football match, in a pub, nightclub or school and becomes an offensive weapon in these circumstances in just the same way as a screwdriver, or any other innanimate tool.

But I NEED a Bigger Knife ...
If you wish to carry a larger knife then you must have 'reasonable cause'. That means that you must be able to prove that you had a genuine reason for carrying the knife.

You may carry a larger cutting tool if it is associated with your work (for instance a chef may carry a 9.0" butchers knife roll to and from work), or if it is associated with your sport, (for instance a fisherman may carry a 6.0" fillet knife, or a hunter may carry a 4.0" fixed blade hunting knife).

Don't forget it's there though. If you stop off in Tesco's for a can of beans on your way home take the knife off of your belt and secure it in your glove box, or your local Bobby will be unimpressed at your excuses.

See also - http://www.police-information.co.uk/...ndexeng.html#K

Hope this helps,
WMM
Old 19 January 2007, 03:02   #40

Good gosh. And I thought Canada's gun control laws were insane. Fortunately Canada's gun registry program is about to be dismantled - what a huge waste of money that was!