Old 15 June 2014, 20:08   #1

Length: 7m +
Just completed our PB2

Just wanted to say my wife Sue and I completed our PB2 this weekend with taylormadeboating.co.uk based at the Weymouth and Portland sailing academy. It was a very enlightening 2 days, day one was quite intense and we both learned skills in boat manouvering that made my parking skills take a big leap forward and although the weather was great we still had to take into account the wind and tidal directions which I realise I never really new about before. Day two, the wind was much stronger but still a pleasant day, after some time in the classroom we headed out once more to practice man overboard rescue techniques followed by anchoring and some high speed work, namely doing slalom around various objects. Amazing what the ribs were capable of
So that was a very brief summary of what we did.
I am so glad we did the course as we learnt a lot of valuable lessons and techniques I had not really considered before, or took for granted.
Our instructor was great, very patient and knowledgeable, a very good teacher in what must be quite a stressful job.

I would highly recommend anyone that has not done the course, even if you have spent a good few hours at sea, to do it, as I am sure anyone will gain some useful tips and a better understanding of powerboating.

I don't have anything to do with the company other than I feel we have become friends now but if you are anywhere near Weymouth, and want to arrange a powerboat course, we both can highly recommend Ben and Sunny from taylormadeboating.

(Sorry, this still looks like a massive plug.)

Pete & Sue.
Old 15 June 2014, 21:01   #2
gtb

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 175hp ETEC
MMSI: 235 908 002
I did my PB2 quite a while ago, and with a different school, but I agree it is a good course and manages to pack a lot into a couple of days.

It is certainly a confidence booster, and good instructors will focus the emphasis of the syllabus to areas where you need some help/experience.

I'd put the whole family though it, but the course is too expensive for that. In the meantime we tend to put a small exercise into our days out -- today were were doing MOB practise (a family favourite) by throwing 'Fred' the weighted float out as we bat along. But teaching everyone what happens in a MOB, how we pick up a mooring buoy, basic colregs, knots, etc keeps the interest up with the kids and helps everyone get on better on our day trips.

That said, I'd like to spend more time with experienced boaters in different conditions as I pick up lots by watching others - can't beat experience
Old 15 June 2014, 21:20   #3

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtb View Post
I did my PB2 quite a while ago, and with a different school, but I agree it is a good course and manages to pack a lot into a couple of days.

It is certainly a confidence booster, and good instructors will focus the emphasis of the syllabus to areas where you need some help/experience.

I'd put the whole family though it, but the course is too expensive for that. In the meantime we tend to put a small exercise into our days out -- today were were doing MOB practise (a family favourite) by throwing 'Fred' the weighted float out as we bat along. But teaching everyone what happens in a MOB, how we pick up a mooring buoy, basic colregs, knots, etc keeps the interest up with the kids and helps everyone get on better on our day trips.

That said, I'd like to spend more time with experienced boaters in different conditions as I pick up lots by watching others - can't beat experience

Yes, I intend to spend a lot more time practising what we learn't while it is still fresh in the memory. MOB, attaching to a bouy , parking and anchoring I will try and practice these most times we go out now.
As you say, less likely to get stressed out if it all goes smoothly, which will come with practice.
Old 15 June 2014, 21:42   #4

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I enjoyed PB2 a lot too, definitely a must do for all new boaters. Obviously the navigation aspect is pretty tiny and basic but a favourite moment for me was when the instructor halted the boat out at sea and said right, let's get the chart out find out where we are the old fashioned way and how to plot a course back home.