Old 06 May 2007, 21:47   #1

Town: woodstock georgia
Make: zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: outboard
Just bought a Zodiac

I just bought a 1995 14foot YachtLine Zodiac. Just took it for a ride and almost sank! It seems that the port sponson is loose from the hard bottom. Also the triangular shaped flap on the bow is unglued on one side. The boat is powered by a great 25hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Question is, what do I do to have the sponson re-attached to the hard bottom? Also two of the three air intake valves have a leak. Is there an adjustment to the valve? Also what are the trim tab like flaps that dangle off the stern?
Old 07 May 2007, 02:04   #2

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Well, welcome to the world of boat ownership... I assume you've heard the expression: "A boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you pour money!"?

It sounds like you have a few little issues to deal with! Starting with the easy stuff... I suspect the "trim tab flappy things" are what are referred to as "elephant trunks"... they're drains. Do they have a piece of line through the end which runs up to the transom someplace? If so, snug 'em up and they keep water out. Let them down, and they drain water... as long as you're moving! (Sounds like you need them at the moment!)

The leaking valves probably just need a clean and a lubrication. Not being familiar with that particular model, is it possible they have an overpressure assembly in them? If so, these will leak as the tubes warm up.

As for the tube being loose... do you mean "loose" or "off"? If it's loose, how does it look like is attached? Someone with a similar boat while chime in eventually with the solution! The flap on the bow sounds like it needs to be re-glued. The solution to this will depend to a large extent on the fabric. I doubt your boat is hypalon (which is infinitely glueable) but more likely Strongon or some other welded fabric. This can be repaired, but might require some professional help.

Incidently, did you not notice these loose/unstuck items before you bought the boat. If not, that suggests they are probably fairly minor.

Don't panic... One of the great things with inflatables, is that they are generally easily repaired, often by the owner!

Good luck!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2007, 08:56   #3

Town: Uphall
Boat name: Iona
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Optimax 115
MMSI: 235053483
Hi
I have a (new) Pro open - mine has the triangular piece at the front because the tubes are completely removable.
I don't know if the yachtline is the same, or if your tubes are glued to the hull, but its a good place to start looking, as the solution to your problem will depend heavily on this!!
Old 07 May 2007, 15:25   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
As 3-rex said, most of the consumer Zodiac RIBs are made with a buckle-on tube system (I think.) The tubes themselves have a little bead-on-a-flap thingie that runs down the inside. The bead fits into a channel built into the hull, then the tubes are secured by various buckles (as I recall, one at the bow, and one or two at the rear of each tube end.)

On my friend's Pro16, the flap at the front is completely loose; that should not matter, as all it does is either cover the buckle, or protect the hull from it.

Are you sure the tube is actually loose? Having it low on pressure will cause it to flap around a lot, making it appear loose.

Can you post pictures or a better description of the "trim tab-like flaps"? They may be trim tabs, or they may be other bits.

jky