Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top banana View Post

Thank You not all bad
Never said they were, actions of the few and all that...
I enjoy a blat on a PWC avery now and again...
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2010, 01:16   #42

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top banana View Post
Thank You not all bad
This club took over my local public all tide slip and prevented me from launching and recovering by just being in the way with great numbers years ago

I'm sure that other boat owners that used to use it years ago had the same problem as I. And I can't remember the last time I ever saw a boat being launched there. (except a RIBnet cruise gathering in 2005 I think)

Having said that! I'm pleased that PWC were being regulated in the area by the club and whilst I had to sacrifice my slipway there are better PWC pilots out there because of this. It's always nice to see some fund raising too

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2010, 01:35   #43

As for the Video. I reckon this was rigged by WAFI's as it does look staged.

From my experience of WAFI's there are some that get extremely upset by the littlest of things.

I travel though Haslar Marina when I motor from or back to my slipway. I always try to create minimal wash but sometimes on a Spring ebbing tide the tide can run at 6 or 7 knots so with my SOG at something like 3 knots I'm creating quite a sizable wash (or bigger than I normally do). There's nothing I can do! I have to get back to the slip before it drys!

I can guarantee you that someone from a Yacht or the pontoon makes some sort of comment. I've had sailor boys saying that I'm "going to swamp boats" and that it's "dangerous" I've had it all over the years!

I've just come to the conclusion that some of these WAFI's are a bunch of moaning old women that have taken up sailing to ease their stressful lives.

I guess it's not working for some of them.

But the majority of Yachties are fairly decent people. But like all things in life it's the minority seem to have to say.

Rant over!

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 22 August 2010, 06:38   #44

Town: Kings Lynn
Boat name: Blow 'N' Away
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
This club took over my local public all tide slip and prevented me from launching and recovering by just being in the way with great numbers years ago

I'm sure that other boat owners that used to use it years ago had the same problem as I. And I can't remember the last time I ever saw a boat being launched there. (except a RIBnet cruise gathering in 2005 I think)

Having said that! I'm pleased that PWC were being regulated in the area by the club and whilst I had to sacrifice my slipway there are better PWC pilots out there because of this. It's always nice to see some fund raising too

I'm a club member but not local so I'm not there every week. On a summers day it can get quite hectic at Lee especially with the car/trailer parking & general lack of space, so I can see why you feel you were being pushed away.

If the club have a run out then it's not unusual for the group to launch 10 or more ski's but they have usually left the slip by 10.30am, this is what will happen for the WightStuff on 4th September

There are boats launched though most are day / small fishing boats with the occasional hovercraft, as you say it's still public so pop down and try again, the more varied the user the less likelyhood of the owners (seeda...I think) closing it.
Old 22 August 2010, 09:35   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cannell View Post
I'm a club member but not local so I'm not there every week. On a summers day it can get quite hectic at Lee especially with the car/trailer parking & general lack of space, so I can see why you feel you were being pushed away.

If the club have a run out then it's not unusual for the group to launch 10 or more ski's but they have usually left the slip by 10.30am, this is what will happen for the WightStuff on 4th September

There are boats launched though most are day / small fishing boats with the occasional hovercraft, as you say it's still public so pop down and try again, the more varied the user the less likelyhood of the owners (seeda...I think) closing it.
I think it was busier years ago when jet skis were more popular, I must admit that things have got quieter recently and haven't seen the caravan the club used to use either, but still can't remember seeing a boat being launched there.

It wasn't all bad news for me though! As I found Haslar which is more user friendly to one man launch and recover, even if I have to pay for the privilege.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 22 August 2010, 09:57   #46

Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki df225
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
As i see it everyone has the same equal right to use our waters, lets face it its one of the last places in this country that when u are out in open sea you can do pretty much as you please. with no camera vans lurking round every corner. and the current regulations although not perfect are a good balance.
all jet skis that launch in wales have to be registred and show insurance, so are easilly traceable to the registred owner,and he should be equally responsible for that ski regardless as to weather he has let is numpty mate have a go
If i remember right there was a sailing forum member ranting on about unconsiderate rib members during a ribnet cruise, calling the offending ribs
helm, the typical shaven headed knob who operate this type of craft.
you know who you are
Old 22 August 2010, 17:28   #47

Town: Chatham
Boat name: Manx Viking
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 115hp Mercury
MMSI: 235092563
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story......

The Pontoon in question is the fuel berth for a very posh Marina. To the right of the picture (Unseen) is the only area on the Upper River Medway where the PWC's can
a, go at any speed
b, Launch & Recover

If the WAFI/Marina wanted to make more of it they only had to follow via camera/bino's the PWC's the 100mtrs back to the slipway!!!!

P.S. Not that I have anything against Essex Police but this is firmly in Kent Police Marine units juristiction, and they are around the area most weekends for that very reason.