Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
At no point does it appear that the yacht crew are doing anything about it

You're unlikely to be able to see someone yelling at them to f*** off on a surveillance camera when someone's facing the other way.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2010, 18:55   #22
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBoy View Post
Hilda
A moment I shall treasure
Old 20 August 2010, 19:00   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Or perhaps the PWC users were intimidating thugs and the WAFIs chose to stay calm rather than be provoked? Anyway, what could they've done? Bombarded them with yellow wellies?
Indeed you might be right - but he kept scrubbing his boat (although I think by the end of the clip he is preparing to leave). That didn't seem like someone who was worried, I'm not suggesting that he should do as various other people here have suggested and get aggressive - but there appears to be no protest / arm waving / attempt to highlight the danger. I'm not suggesting the PWC users were being sensible (you'll note I called the Eijits in my first post) - I just don't think this is particularly newsworthy. "PWC user gets on sailors wick" is about as unusual as "BMW driver undertakes grandad on motorway".
Old 20 August 2010, 19:11   #24
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
RIBase
Quote:
Indeed you might be right - but he kept scrubbing his boat (although I think by the end of the clip he is preparing to leave). That didn't seem like someone who was worried, I'm not suggesting that he should do as various other people here have suggested and get aggressive - but there appears to be no protest / arm waving / attempt to highlight the danger. I'm not suggesting the PWC users were being sensible (you'll note I called the Eijits in my first post) - I just don't think this is particularly newsworthy. "PWC user gets on sailors wick" is about as unusual as "BMW driver undertakes grandad on motorway".
It's newsworthy when there's 40 odd complaints about it. In my experience most people are lazy and rarely complain to official bodies because they don't expect anything to be done.

For a string of complaints the problem must be pretty bad.

Old 20 August 2010, 19:14   #25
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
On my own pontoons, an 'infant' was badly scalded as it's mum was making a hot drink when a different kind of plonker came past at similar speed!
Ah, I know where you're moored then-my father's boat was there for many years. Off topic, but was anything done about said non-jetskiing scrotes? They were becoming quite a problem there.

Old 20 August 2010, 19:27   #26
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Hilda
Thanks. It's good to know that I'm a WAFI AND a RIPAFI (Rigid Inflatable Petrol Assisted Fkin Idiot!) And not a PWCOTA (Personal Water Closet Owning Total AHole)
I use the term WAFI with some affection having been, and occasionally still falling into the rag and stick brigade. I've never sat on a PWC, but if this is your attitude its probably just as well you've stopped instructing - it must be difficult for your students to have any respect for you when you're looking down your nose at them. I can see it would take a special balance between being able to share the enthusiasm for the "fun" and "excitement" and "cabability" of PWC and constructively convey the safety requirements at the same time. Perhaps the RYA need to look at that rather than making it relatively easy for any pious PB instructor to start training in this area?

Quote:
1- The person trying to scrub their waterline looks pretty perturbed to me!
my screen is small but he seems to keep scrubbing...
Quote:
When 'in port' you have an expectation that there will be minimal wash. When 'in port' in a gale, you expect something a bit more interesting! If moored near major shipping channels, you know what to expect! Have you been below when this sort of thing happens? On my own pontoons, an 'infant' was badly scalded as it's mum was making a hot drink when a different kind of plonker came past at similar speed!
you might argue that a sustained attack like this (once started) is no more dangerous than a rib passing close at speed - you're unlikely to start making tea in the middle of it.
Quote:
All too often, said 'owners' want to do their 'competency course' because it's a requirement to use/launch their craft and NOT to learn anything of value beyond that.
I wasn't aware of mandatory training, perhaps its interlinked with insurance. Your challenge as an instructor is clearly to convince them otherwise - I can see that's probably not what you "signed up for" though.
Quote:
3- Stereotypes. I know what they are, but I don't understand your point?
on the one hand you say all PWC users "largely beyond help". Then you suggest that "most are responsible owners"

Quote:
4- Rule 5 and 6.
Rule 5 - Keep a lookout: given the way they were driving I'd assume they were keeping a very good lookout. Or do you think they were unaware the yacht/pontoon was there
Rule 6- Safe speed: ...proceed at a safe speed at which she can to take action to avoid collision and be able to stop within a distance suitable to the prevailing conditions, which include the visibility; traffic density; her manoeuvrability (e.g. stopping distance and turning ability); ...

Clearly they didn't colide with anything and nobody else had to take avoiding action - so you might argue that due to their incredible manoeuverability and quick stopping distance they weren't actually behaving as bad as you suggest.

Quote:
5- Yes, it might have been staged. If you didn't think it looked 'that bad', try it yourself.
by which I mean I've seen worse at two separate locations, and so this seemed like fairly ordinary stupidity rather than exceptional (newsworthy) stupidity.
Old 20 August 2010, 19:57   #27

Town: Cowes
Boat name: WightStuff
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150hp
MMSI: 235072807
I hate arguments like this.

It certainly looks like the people on the PWC's were acting like idiots, but it doesn't mean EVERYONE that has a PWC acts in the same way.

I have seen a good many people act stupidly in Ribs, Yachts, motor cruisers... just about every type of boat. But it's THEM that are in control of their stupidity, nothing to do with the craft they are in.
Old 20 August 2010, 20:04   #28

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
Very true, well said. Any inanimate object is safe until the human gets involved.
Once again, the few tarnishing the many (cars, guns, PWC, RIB's, .... )
Old 20 August 2010, 20:14   #29

Town: Kings Lynn
Boat name: Blow 'N' Away
Make: Coastline
Engine: Suzuki 175
The area is under Essex Marine Police jurisdiction, if the incident has been reported to them they will be do their best to find the pwc users.

The ski being ridden by the prat is a black/gold Yamaha gpr1300, the other looks like a Seadoo RXP.
Old 20 August 2010, 20:31   #30

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
Whilst 'PWCOTA' is not a term of affection, I have, as doubtless you can imagine, met and trained a number of RPWCOP's in the (distant) past. But as you say, it's a good job I stopped training in this area before my professionalism was compromised.
Sorry that you think I'm pious, but we all have our own personal standards. The RYA understands my 'Piousness' and knows that Looking 'down ones nose' is. Life is too short to invest your time and effort in what your experience has lead you to believe is a lost cause. I have an open mind and maybe a 'higher being' will show me the light in times to come? Do you KNOW how 'easy' the RYA makes it for a Pious PB instructor to deliver PWC a Competency course?

1-Apart from when he goes ashore or a break!

-You don't START making tea when the prats are around. Experience will tell you that they have a knack of turning up just as you are pouring!

-You are right. Often linked to insurance also. Training is not mandatory unless your Harbour Authority (insurance Co.) makes it so!

-Yes (and I guess we all have) seen worse. How 'stupid' does 'stupid' have to be before another PWOTCA is killed or loses a leg?

-Typo I'm afraid. Delete the word 'are'.

-Rule 5/6. My point precisely. Despite seemingly being acutely aware of the other vessel, they persisted in flouting rule 6. See your 'bolting smiley'!
Old 20 August 2010, 20:31   #31
RIBnet Supporter

Might I suggest that a bucket of bright red gloss paint balloons be issued to each WAFI on the river?

After all, if yer close enough to hit, yer fair game!
Old 20 August 2010, 23:59   #32
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Might I suggest that a bucket of bright red gloss paint balloons be issued to each WAFI on the river?

After all, if yer close enough to hit, yer fair game!
Or a super soaker filled with UV dye

Another problem here though is when someone finally gets pissed off enough to do something about it, common sense is likely to have gone out of the window and someone will get badly hurt. See below-says it all really...
Quote:
Originally Posted by a fishing forum
I was fishing the tay in dundee whilst I was working up there about 13 years ago. I wasn't alone and there were 12 or so other chaps either side of me, chatted to a few of them, y'know. what you using, what you caught etc...

Then some toss piece in a speed boat with his mate skiing behind came flying up towards us. This chap on the skis was obviously trying to wind us up as the boat whipped up and down past us.

As the boat approached again, the skier couldn't have been more than 20 yards from us all, everyone was shouting at him. But the guy to my left said "here we go" raised his rod tip and the skier tumbled into the water. Came up gasping and really looked like he was struggling. His mate on the boat picked him up and after a few hand gestures they sped off somewhere.
Within minutes an ambulance flew past us and a police car pulled up next to us a few minutes after that.
They were there for witnesses, everyone said the guy had swung into the lines. and that was that.
The guy next to me said it served the b"£$%^& right, it had happened to him a few times thats why he'd stepped up to 100lb braided mainline.

I said christ mate you could have cut his head off.....
I blanked aswell...

Old 21 August 2010, 08:10   #33

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
if there's a few of you moored just tie lines between the boats, it doesn't stop the jet ski but it stop's the driver
Old 21 August 2010, 10:29   #34

Town: leeds, England
Boat name: RIB Tickler
Make: AVON SR
Engine: Outboard 50 HP
Ratty was right to say

"theres nothing as good as messing about in boats" (wind in the willows.)

The bit that missing from this statement is "with consideration to all concerned"

I think it is irrelevant as to wether his pwc can stop in time etc, the actions of this individual are obviously causing an intolerable situation. The implecations of his actions are that he dosnt care for someone elses property or care for there safety. Would any amount of training or additional laws alter this persons attitude. I doubt it. There are always idiots, on the road, in the air and unfortunatley on the water. To control a car, bike or aircraft you must have to undergo training pass a test and have a liscense. When was the last time you were cut up?

As for branding different water users and accessing there IQ by the type of craft they get there pleasure from, what a joke?
Ive sailed, Ive power boated, ive paddled and ive cruised in varying craft. I currently have my rib and a sib to enjoy the water and its great. I water Ski and i Fish. When asked what i am ie sailor, Jet skier etc i simply reply a water user. Sector analysis is for marketing people and MP's.

Taking that idiot and his mate to task and showing him his misguded ways would have more impact coming from a group of water users than from a policeman, water balif or judge they must launch from somewhere (even if it is ilegally as the article says) so be waiting. Better still if this sad persons or others are always at the same spot have a large flotilla waiting and offer him a seat in a moored boat while someone does mad turns on the water. Even idiots dont like to be the odd one out, usually. However there are terminal cases.

United we stand, Divided we fall. Remember Windermere another good oputunity missed Sail verses power won it for the ban from the start. I read somewhere that the town lost millions in the first six months, Goverment hailed it a huge success.

Idiots cost us water on which to gain our pleasure, so if we each do our bit and talk to each other across the board when out enjoying ourselves, maybe we can make a difference.
Old 21 August 2010, 10:43   #35

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
harpoon, work's everytime
Old 21 August 2010, 18:23   #36

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Tornado
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 250hp Suzuki
Well for my 5p worth.......

I was a jetski owner and kept it for 2 years , using it alot around the solent in a sensible manour. Eventually I decided to get rid of it because they attract a much higher percentage of idiots that any other water craft. I decided I no longer wanted to be associated as a jet skier, which on reflection is a little sad as in one way I probably have been driven away from this by the minoritry of idiots. Yes I have seen PLENTY of idiots on sail boats, motor boats, canoes, winsurfers, kitesurfers, but they dont seem to be in anything like the concentration you get with Jet skiers.
Old 21 August 2010, 18:35   #37
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahscottiedog View Post
Well for my 5p worth.......

I was a jetski owner and kept it for 2 years , using it alot around the solent in a sensible manour. Eventually I decided to get rid of it because they attract a much higher percentage of idiots that any other water craft. I decided I no longer wanted to be associated as a jet skier, which on reflection is a little sad as in one way I probably have been driven away from this by the minoritry of idiots. Yes I have seen PLENTY of idiots on sail boats, motor boats, canoes, winsurfers, kitesurfers, but they dont seem to be in anything like the concentration you get with Jet skiers.
Nah their just spread over a much wider area - PWCs can't go more than a few hundred m's from shore because they need to pop back and refuel every five minutes!
Old 21 August 2010, 18:58   #38

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Nah their just spread over a much wider area - PWCs can't go more than a few hundred m's from shore because they need to pop back and refuel every five minutes!
Run that by Paul 'Cross Channel' Cannell.
Old 21 August 2010, 20:56   #39

Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Engine: suzuki df225
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
Online Status: Offline
Quote apsmapping
Report Post Quote Reply Topic: Colwyn Jet Ski Club - £600+ raised for RLNI & Hel
Posted: 16/Aug/2010 at 12:19am
A BIG well done to Colwyn Jet Ski Club for raising over £600 at the Conwy River Festival on Saturday.

The money was raised by club members giving high thrill jet ski rides up the River Conwy to anyone (all ages, all sizes) brave enough to make a £3 charity donation and get a little bit wet!

Over 200 non jet skiing members of the public were given 'Rides of their Lives' in very windy and choppy conditions, which proved to be very challenging when loaded up with one or two inexperienced passengers, wearing nothing but their Sunday best and a PFD.

This annual charity event has been put on by Colwyn Jet Ski Club for approx. the last 10+ years, not only providing much welcome funds to RLNI, but also proving to be an excellent PR exercise for jet skiing in North Wales.

Of course none of this would ever be possible without the Colwyn Bay jet skiers very generously giving up a day of their time and a tankful of fuel in their skis for the purpose raising some money for worthy causes and, very importantly, putting great big smiles on lots and lots of faces!

Thank You not all bad
Old 21 August 2010, 21:02   #40

Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Engine: suzuki df225
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
On Saturday the 4th September 2010 I will be participating in "The Wight Stuff”.

This is a bi-annual event organised by the Solent Skiers Association, who are a Jet Ski Club based in Lee on Solent in Hants. In previous years they have managed to raise in excess of £40,000 for the RNLI.

This year they have decided to change their nominated charity to Help For Heroes.

Help for Heroes - Practical, direct support for our wounded

"It’s about the blokes, our men and women of the Armed Forces. It’s about Derek, a rugby player who has lost both his legs, it’s about Carl whose jaw is wired up so he has been drinking through a straw. It’s about Richard who was handed a mobile phone as he lay on the stretcher so he could say goodbye to his wife. It’s about Ben, it’s about Steven and Andy and Mark, it’s about them all. They are just blokes but they are our blokes; they are our heroes. We want to help our heroes."

The Wight Stuff, involves a fleet of 60 jet-skiers from all over the country circum-navigating the Isle of Wight, 72 miles, on their Personal Watercraft. It is an all day event, and is not a race but a heavily supervised cruise around the island. Whilst this may not sound too challenging, In previous years we have experienced truly challenging conditions and had to face 10-12ft waves and a force 5 gale around the south of the island at St Catherine’s Point.

Not only was the scenery breathtaking but the waves were as well!

I know times are hard and would very much appreciate your kindness, by making a donation for this very worthwhile cause.

Donating through Justgiving is quick, easy and totally secure. It’s also the most efficient way to sponsor me: Help for Heroes gets your money faster and, if you’re a UK taxpayer, Justgiving makes sure 25% in Gift Aid, plus a 3% supplement, are added to your donation.

So please dig deep and sponsor me now!

Many thanks,
Kevin Pullen

Edited by Banshee - 12/Aug/2010 at 6:23pm