Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 30 April 2010, 13:53   #61

Length: 7m +
The majority of times ive seen jetskiers they seem to be always exceeeding the speed limits in poole harbour and other places, only last weekend I was in studland bay and saw a couple of them speeding about near to shore with no comprehension of possible danger to any swimmers or the annoyance of anchored or moored saling yachts near by.
Old 30 April 2010, 14:09   #62

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 2st 90
I have to admit that in my youth (20 odd years ago) I saw a jet skier "buzzing" some swimmers. Being more than a little averse to such behaviour I waited till he was clear and then "buzzed" him in the 6mt SR I was driving at the time. He gave some unrepeatable expletives to me when I replied fair enough but if I see you doing that again I'm going to run over the top of you next time. Funnily enough while it was funny for him to do it he didn't appreciate the same behaviour towards himself.

Needless to say he had a weird look on face and left the area without challenging what I threatened.

I remain to this day convinced that most NOT all people who drive these things leave their brain behind with the car.

Ian
Old 30 April 2010, 14:38   #63

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Have read all the comments with interest as an 'Ex skier' ( before I saw the light) and have to say its always the few who are complete idiots and give a bad name to the majority ( much like ribbers....)

The comment about 'burning off fuel'( from PHC) I feel is rubbish. Its only standard unleaded and the tanks on these things nowadays are huge( compared to size of machine).

I can be somewhat of a vigilante and have also put my boat 'close' to skis to give them a taste of thier own behaviour. Its always fun to cruise along side while they thrash away trying to out run me....and I have also put my boat between them & swimmers (and seen one nasty incident leaving people out cold, face down in the water)

PHC tend (from what I see) to do an OK job, but the only way I have found of changing things is to take pictures and send them in - if you can get the datatag number even better, but again its worth remebering its the minorty and the freindly chat with the other skiers stood around mostly works.

If not some floating line left around the place soon wraps itself round the impeller and brings everything to nice stop....

If they are going slow they will stop & avoid it - if speeding they wont even notice till its too late !

Dont get me started on the ones that have 20ft fountain coming out the back but dont seem to care about .......
Old 13 July 2010, 17:54   #64

As an update on this I have today had a letter from 'offshore performance' (the local jetski dealer) clearly to everyone on thier mailing list headed ;

Don't let Jet Sking be banned in Poole Harbour

Basically going on to say the Harbour Commissioners have bought to thier attention a minority of PWCs ruining the reputation of the sport.

Hopefully shows its all noted by PHC.

I would add it does seem to me from daily observation in the week to be powerboats breaking the limit rather than the jetskis though not sure about the weekends.
Old 14 July 2010, 15:17   #65

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
As an update on this I have today had a letter from 'offshore performance' (the local jetski dealer) clearly to everyone on thier mailing list headed ;

Don't let Jet Sking be banned in Poole Harbour

Basically going on to say the Harbour Commissioners have bought to thier attention a minority of PWCs ruining the reputation of the sport.

Hopefully shows its all noted by PHC.

I would add it does seem to me from daily observation in the week to be powerboats breaking the limit rather than the jetskis though not sure about the weekends.
I'm on their list and didn't get anything....

Did they mention what PHC are doing?
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2010, 13:29   #66

I walked past the Baiter slipway a couple of weeks ago, a family with very young children (under 5) were having a picknick 1 metre or less from the edge of the slipway while various boats were being launched and recovered, and yes the kids were wondering on and off the slipway. The guy in the hut was sat there with his feet up reading a paper.

I agree with your comments, they dont give a damn or they are just too stupid to see the dangers.

Every weekend without fail I see jet skiers speeding and being a complete pain and being dangerous. Speed is fine but not in close quarters to moored boats with swimmers or launching area's.

I did actually see a Police Rib in Studland Bay a couple of weekends ago and they did give chase to a speeding jet skier in the go slow zone. I cant see why some patrols could not be done in the baiter slipway area. They should at least put up a big sign near the launch area reminding people of the speed limits etc.
Old 26 July 2010, 13:34   #67

Here is the harbour masters email address. Brian Murphy

poolehm@btconnect.com
Old 26 July 2010, 17:58   #68

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Jetski and motorboat collide in Poole Harbour
Old 26 July 2010, 20:53   #69

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
We went passed the incident over the weekend, see pictures. Even as crew were being winched down, other jetski's were going over at high speed!
It must be very difficult on a jetski to see a motorboat, or did he just want to change his face?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rescue1.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	53001   Click image for larger version

Name:	rescue2.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	53002   Click image for larger version

Name:	rescue3.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	53003  
Old 26 July 2010, 23:00   #70

Even this evening on the way to the fuel barge at near 6pm there were more speeding jetskis at 20 + knts in the harbour which then did fast circuits as we filled up ........

Harbour master boat busy towing a yacht in .

I give up - as long as its only themselves that get hurt I'm past caring !
Old 27 July 2010, 06:52   #71

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
If I'm not mistaken the fuel barge is very close or in the area where jet ski's are allowed to speed so it's probably no surprise they were!

Shame the 1% ruin it for the other 99% as there is room for all.
Old 27 July 2010, 09:57   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWildey View Post
If I'm not mistaken the fuel barge is very close or in the area where jet ski's are allowed to speed so it's probably no surprise they were!

Shame the 1% ruin it for the other 99% as there is room for all.
It is but they were well outside it....
Old 05 October 2010, 04:02   #73

Town: reading&st.davids.
Boat name: scaramouche
Make: osprey eagle 5.6
Engine: 90 yam outboard/4hp
MMSI: 235082768
Send a message via Yahoo to tumbleweed41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Yes, a real result.

I suspect, given the enthusiastic way the PHC patrol boat was chasing some twit in daddy's bowrider doing 30+ knots and zigzagging through the moorings on Saturday they'll kick some butt.
Did a day on that boat.It's called Avocet and is an ex customs boat.Does 20-25knts they say!!Run by MVS guys who are a nice bunch unless you are naughty!
Old 05 October 2010, 09:51   #74

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
Perhaps the answer is to have two ribs run through the jetskiers with a nice length of cheese wire strung betwenn them at head level.

That would teach them a lesson.