Click Here to Login

Old 17 September 2012, 10:35   #1

Town: macclessfield
Boat name: Reach Out
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Tohatsu EFI
Jet Ski Sucked in my fishing line

Now I like jet ski's, had many a weekend doing nothing else a few years ago. I was fishing between the islands off Abersoch at around 3 knotts, spinning, fishing rod held high so it could be seen easily... in my yam360s, with my 5 year old son. The odd jetski comes towards you and uses you as a reference point to turn near.... no problem with this, all good fun... as long as the rider knows not to come too close to the stern area where the line must be.. One guy does not keep his distance and the line is sucked up into the 200bhp machine, and the rod is almost dragged from my hand... I shouted for him to stop, and he just turned away and gunned it off. Luckily the moment he lifted off the throttle and then turned the line was released. (he would not of known this)

Why did he not stop when he saw my line was caught? Maybe he thought I was going to swear and abuse him (I know many fisherman that would). I would not, I just did not want to loose my rod or worse hit my little boy in the face with the rod... You would of thought he would stop and put safety first before his worry about a bollocking or paying for a £2 bit of lead and hook... neither of which would happen in my case.
Old 17 September 2012, 15:59   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Maybe he didn't realize it had been caught. A fishing line slowing a, what, 400? 600? lb machine under power isn't going to cause much of a delta V. And someone running up on you at speed may be looking at too much else to notice the fishing rod.

jky
Old 17 September 2012, 16:56   #3

I was on a charter boat trolling in the med once when a jet ski got tangled in one of our trolling lines despite the skipper warning him to stay clear.

He noticed alright though, as we were using pretty heavy gear and it nearly took his head off !
Old 17 September 2012, 18:25   #4

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
had a complete tosser fishing off the causeway to the sailing club a couple of weeks ago. He had allowed enough line to float out from the beach that it was in the middle of the traffic coming and going into the harbour. I was probably 100 feet or so from the beach on the rib when I caught his fishing line around the bow of the RIB. I am not sure how it actually managed to get so high up the bow, but it was caught on the rubbing strake around the front of the tube. i stopped and unhooked him and pulled in yards and yards of line and eventually a weight and hook. I lobbed it all back into the shallows only to be sworn at by the idiot drifting his lines into busy shipping lanes. i should have just opened it up and taken his rod with me.
Old 17 September 2012, 18:46   #5

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
I caught a jet skier the other day off a pier it was his right of way but I had no chance of reeling in any line as he was doing about 25 knots in a 6 knot speed limit and he run into the line across his chest.

No harm done but I might get some of that 'Red Ice' line if it will help knobours like that avoid the line and then maybe they will stop doing donuts right where me and the kids are fishing
Old 17 September 2012, 20:31   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsy View Post
Why did he not stop when he saw my line was caught?
I doubt he knew it was caught at that speed and with that engine noise, in a split second look he probably didn't have time to register. I imagine natural instinct for jet skier when someone remonstrates with them is either to leave ASAP, or to get bolshy and aggressive back - so probably actually best he left the scene.

We all make errors of judgement sometimes and from what I can see human nature is rarely to immediately stop and appologise.
Old 17 September 2012, 20:42   #7

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I imagine natural instinct for jet skier when someone remonstrates with them is either to leave ASAP, or to get bolshy and aggressive back
Whereas I suppose your average ribber would offer to pay for any damage, forgive your sins, raise the dead and reconcile the russians and the chinese..
Old 17 September 2012, 20:53   #8
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
Whereas I suppose your average ribber would offer to pay for any damage, forgive your sins, raise the dead and reconcile the russians and the chinese..
No hence the following sentence that you forgot to quote!

However its likely from what I've seen in real life and on this forum and others that the Jetskier will have been shouted at before for things (sometimes, but not necessarily always, justified). In which case he's unlikely to have realised the OP's protests were specific rather than generic anti-ski 'attacks'.

In contrast the only time I have (knowingly) been shouted at in a RIB was by someone looking for help, or on one occasion when someone thought I was the harbour master and offered me money! Accordingly if someone shouts at me in a rib I am inclined to go and speak to them.
Old 17 September 2012, 21:17   #9

Quote:
No hence the following sentence that you forgot to quote!
That wasn't in your original post.
Old 17 September 2012, 21:22   #10
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
That wasn't in your original post.
Eh, yes it was. I've not edited my post.
Quote:
We all make errors of judgement sometimes and from what I can see human nature is rarely to immediately stop and appologise.
But then I suppose that just goes to prove my point
Old 17 September 2012, 21:27   #11
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Eh, yes it was. I've not edited my post.
Indeed, I doubt he read it at that speed and with that engine noise, in a split second look he probably didn't have time to register. I imagine natural instinct for jet skier when someone remonstrates with them is to get bolshy and aggressive back....

Old 17 September 2012, 21:33   #12

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
We caught the line of a pr1ck fishing across the harbour entrance at Whitby, the line caught around the radome & I never saw it until the hook & weight flew out of the water & just missed my head. Could have very easliy lost an eye, all I got was a load of verbal from the twonk.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2012, 21:36   #13

Poly - I still can't see the subsequent points you made in original post; check things your end, I'm not trying to be funny but maybe you didn't refresh your page or forgot to update after editing.
Wilk - what are you on about? My ski is a four-stroke; it's as quiet as a mouse.
Old 17 September 2012, 21:44   #14

Nah its not on my screen either...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Poly Half Post.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	72269  
Old 17 September 2012, 21:46   #15
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Poly - I still can't see the subsequent points you made in original post; check things your end, I'm not trying to be funny but maybe you didn't refresh your page or forgot to update after editing.
Wilk - what are you on about? My ski is a four-stroke; it's as quiet as a mouse.
So you don't see the sentence highlighted in grey in the attachment?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.png
Views:	193
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	72270  
Old 17 September 2012, 21:49   #16
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Whoa! Talk about angry dolphins!

GJ0KYZ - when Poly said "following", he was likely referring to the following sentence in his first post - the one that irked you. It changed the tack of his post and you missed it.

This one:
Quote:
Anyway, you of all people should know, there's no point arguing when you're in front of the Beak...
Old 17 September 2012, 22:56   #17
Dhf

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
We caught the line of a pr1ck fishing across the harbour entrance at Whitby, the line caught around the radome & I never saw it until the hook & weight flew out of the water & just missed my head. Could have very easliy lost an eye, all I got was a load of verbal from the twonk.

Now that would have been very nasty, lucky no injuries
Old 17 September 2012, 23:09   #18

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk

Whoa! Talk about angry dolphins!...
Talking about loosing tackle what about the angry bull seal that nicked me line , 2 lb pirk , string of feathers along with 3 fish not only once but twice in the space of about 10 mins couple years back .
Worse thing i was hand landing the fish with me head leaning over the sib for my lad when this when this Thing comes flying out of the depths inches away from me head ,,, made a Rotwieler dog look like Bambi Lol
Old 17 September 2012, 23:21   #19

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
when this Thing comes flying out of the depths inches away from me head ,,, made a Rotwieler dog look like Bambi Lol
Check this out....

Old 17 September 2012, 23:35   #20
Dhf

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
thats