Old 20 May 2024, 10:22   #61

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
re the original quest for an outboard .have you tried chris smith at North Tyne marine he usualy has a good stock of used outboards for sale and he operates from either Hexam or Stranraer but is mobile all over the north

www.northtynemarine.co.uk
North Tyne Marine
Returns, Colliery Yard, Acomb, Hexham NE46 4RU · 43 mi
07719 663128
Cheers mate.
need to find a two stroke to get me by this season or two.
I wouldn't mind picking up a four stroke that needs work as it's an opportunity to get to know the outboard.
Old 20 May 2024, 11:27   #62

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasfox View Post
It's an Xl shaft so 5" inches too long for my boat...but it's easy enough to swap out to a long shaft though.
Try to ignore the nasty stuff going on.
Old 20 May 2024, 11:59   #63

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Cheers mate.
need to find a two stroke to get me by this season or two.
I wouldn't mind picking up a four stroke that needs work as it's an opportunity to get to know the outboard.
Have you checked the weight of a 4 stroke Yam 80? Probably too heavy for your rib taking into account the age of it.
A Yam 75/90HP 2 stroke is around 35-40KG lighter, far more suitable, not that hard to find if you look in the correct places.
Old 20 May 2024, 12:32   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Have you checked the weight of a 4 stroke Yam 80? Probably too heavy for your rib taking into account the age of it.
A Yam 75/90HP 2 stroke is around 35-40KG lighter, far more suitable, not that hard to find if you look in the correct places.
Four stroke I would be comfortable going up to 90hp in most cases and two stroke I would go much higher.
One of the reasons I rebuilt this 1980's Tornado is the hull is super strong and feels as solid as the day it was made. The transom is very very sturdy, complete with buttresses that are super strong too. As you may or may not know ,many of the early ribs were not plated so common sense has to kick in. I think the yam 80 would be the balance between power weight and fuel efficiency but that reliability comes at a cost and that is weight and money....but I guess you get what you pay for.

As a 90's kid I love two stroke....but those Yamaha efi's are silent compared to my 80's Mariner.
Old 20 May 2024, 17:17   #65

Town: Colchester
Quote:
That is exactly why I went for the 75HP 2 Stroke on my New Rib

I thought they were very hard to come by..... Where is it he should be looking
Old 24 May 2024, 19:50   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
Looks interesting, will separate as well, but you could buy the lot and separate yourself.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395409354...mis&media=COPY
I had a bid on that outboard but it didn't make reserve.
I'm in contact with the owner about buying just the outboard....problem is that he is in Glasgow.

Motor has done 650 hrs but being 2006 is half the age my old clamshell mariner was.
Old 24 May 2024, 20:45   #67

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
I'm in contact with the owner about buying just the outboard....problem is that he is in Glasgow.

Motor has done 650 hrs but being 2006 is half the age my old clamshell mariner was.
I'm close enough to glasgow to take a look if you want, I'm not a great fan of direct injection 2 strokes but if its cheap may be worth a punt, could have a listen & give you an idea how it sounds. Obviously cant try it under load which is the acid test but can get a bit of an idea on a hose
Old 24 May 2024, 21:43   #68

Quote:

I take it you know these optis weight around 170kg, probably the heaviest 75hp out there.
Old 25 May 2024, 05:05   #69

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Engine: 2 stroke 25hp
MMSI: 235933026
Quote:

Interesting, seen a few others as well, I will post them if they come up. Whatever you do be careful if asked to leave a despoit to hold it, been caught once but been asked loads of times.
Old 25 May 2024, 05:06   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I'm close enough to glasgow to take a look if you want, I'm not a great fan of direct injection 2 strokes but if its cheap may be worth a punt, could have a listen & give you an idea how it sounds. Obviously cant try it under load which is the acid test but can get a bit of an idea on a hose
That's a great offer, unbelievable tbh 👏
Old 25 May 2024, 05:55   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I appreciate that Ken. The outboard is off of a 5m rib that had a battery fire up in the console. They did catch the fire but it destroyed the gauges and throttle.
The optimax wouldn't be my first choice either, as the extra layer of complexity with the high pressure injection system is always going to be something else that can go wrong, but it would get me back on the water sooner rather than later.

(With regards to the offer to have a look for me)
I'm happy enough to pop to Glasgow as I drive for a living, however a second opinion would be great if you have the time. I will pm you when I have more of an idea when and if this takes place. No problem if your busy though Ken.

Cheers.
Old 25 May 2024, 05:58   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
Interesting, seen a few others as well, I will post them if they come up. Whatever you do be careful if asked to leave a despoit to hold it, been caught once but been asked loads of times.
I would be in front of it before cash left my tight grip lol.

Thanks for the heads up on the outboard....you may be onto something.

cheers foxy
Old 25 May 2024, 06:12   #73

Quote:
I take it you know these optis weight around 170kg, probably the heaviest 75hp out there.
Yes I looked at the stats before I bid.
it's just over 30 kg heavier than my old clamshell. The outboard is hanging off a 5m Humber already and I know if I end up switching to four stroke in the future then once again I'm looking at a weight increase.

My Tornado is un-plated so it's always going to be a gamble uprating the outboard, but for the past 37 years that outboard has hung on my transom and it's as solid as the day it was built.

cheers, foxy.
Old 25 May 2024, 10:05   #74

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I’d also be thinking about the resale value when you come to move it on if this is simply a temporary engine until your ideal engine makes an appearance.

Cameron at Clyde Outboards has this. Still surprised by price if I’m honest for 2006 lump. Anyone say Brexit? 137kg for 75 horses. It’s in Glasgow too, worth a look?

https://www.clyde-outboard-services....-2006-outboard

Not a fan, but Honda 90hp here too: https://www.ardoran.co.uk/marina/out...tboard-engines
Old 25 May 2024, 10:35   #75

Quote:
Yes I looked at the stats before I bid.
it's just over 30 kg heavier than my old clamshell. The outboard is hanging off a 5m Humber already and I know if I end up switching to four stroke in the future then once again I'm looking at a weight increase.

My Tornado is un-plated so it's always going to be a gamble uprating the outboard, but for the past 37 years that outboard has hung on my transom and it's as solid as the day it was built.

cheers, foxy.
If you are happy with the weight, a 125hp optimax weighs the same as a 75HP optimax.
A 115/130hp 2 stroke Yam will be a similar weight.
No need for you to stick to 75 ponies 👍
Old 25 May 2024, 10:38   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
I’d also be thinking about the resale value when you come to move it on if this is simply a temporary engine until your ideal engine makes an appearance.

Cameron at Clyde Outboards has this. Still surprised by price if I’m honest for 2006 lump. Anyone say Brexit? 137kg for 75 horses. It’s in Glasgow too, worth a look?

Not a fan, but Honda 90hp here too: https://www.ardoran.co.uk/marina/out...tboard-engines
That outboard at Clyde outboards is in stunning condition and real good value....But, and there is always a but, my long term plan is to go to a four stroke yamaha. Right now I have lot's of stuff going on....all requiring money. A cheap outboard ( if there is such a thing) just to get me back out there, is all I can afford right now. If the optimax checks out...ie Compression bore condition and running order, then I have an opportunity to with a little elbow grease to add a little value to put towards a newer outboard in the future.
An absolute cracking find btw
cheers
Old 25 May 2024, 10:47   #77

Quote:
If you are happy with the weight, a 125hp optimax weighs the same as a 75HP optimax.
A 115/130hp 2 stroke Yam will be a similar weight.
No need for you to stick to 75 ponies 👍
Yes I had noticed that some other much more powerful outboards are around the same weight.

I can't afford a bigger outboard right now and like I said originally...I'm not borrowing money to buy a new outboard.
I'm a bit old school with money.

There doesn't seem to be too much about right now either.
Cheers bud.
Old 25 May 2024, 11:52   #78

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
I appreciate that Ken. The outboard is off of a 5m rib that had a battery fire up in the console. They did catch the fire but it destroyed the gauges and throttle.
The optimax wouldn't be my first choice either, as the extra layer of complexity with the high pressure injection system is always going to be something else that can go wrong, but it would get me back on the water sooner rather than later.

(With regards to the offer to have a look for me)
I'm happy enough to pop to Glasgow as I drive for a living, however a second opinion would be great if you have the time. I will pm you when I have more of an idea when and if this takes place. No problem if your busy though Ken.

Cheers.
Obviously didnt make his bin price of 2k Think id be tempted to try & buy the whole lot for 17-1800 or less if you can then sell the rest trailer looks like 300 ish 100-150ish for the a frame & a 99p start & no reserveon ebay for the hull will get someone to take away the hull. Your engine is then 1200ish but you need to buy a control box even if the engine was a lemon you'd probably get your money back as spares & repairs if its a good un you'll make money when you upgrade as its a running engine & can be tried to prove it. All a bit elongated & potentially a risk but potential for a cheap get you going engine if you have the time & inclination to do it. If your going for a look happy to join you (just dont shoot me if it is a lemon under load lol)
Old 26 May 2024, 04:56   #79

Bit pricey but may have to drop it to sell, same area as well, what's going on with Glasgow and outboards.

Outboard yamaha 75hp 2 stroke ,
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/o...oke/1480006755
Old 26 May 2024, 06:05   #80

Town: Colchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post

That Mariner looks a very good deal I would seriously consider that one