Old 06 February 2005, 01:08   #1

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
It Runs!

Nice warm Day here in the Boston, MA, USA area, and so I opened up the garage to do some work on the boat. It was actually warm enough to run to the store with the top down on my convertible , where I picked up a few bits to finish up some wiring, prop wrench, engine flusher, etc. I've not had the old eBay 4 cylinder 80 hp Merc running yet, and today was a good day to try.

Mounted tach & speedo, and installed new eBay SS prop. Trudged through the foot of remaining snow to the garden hose, and rigged up the flusher. Fuel on, power on and cranked the outboard... nothing. Tried for a while then pulled and cleaned the plugs. Next crank bought an immediate roar of life. Wohooo!! It runs, and restarted instantly several times. I'm very happy! Even brought my wife out to hear it.

HOWEVER, I definitely need to drop the lower unit. It doesn't appear the water pump is functioning well, if at all (therefor I didn't run it for more than 10 seconds at a time). No tattletale stream, and nothing from the upper exhaust outlets. So, the next major project is on... Late March I'll likely take it to Florida, so I have a deadline. Then it's boating season locally.

On another note, I was in Miami for the Olympic Classes sailing Regatta a week ago. RIBS everywhere, from a Searider 4M to a couple of enormous Protectors, a 25' and 28' with a cabin, etc. Nice stuff! Interesting that US Sailing was promoting their deal with Zodiac, "The Official RIB of the US Sailing Team". We each received a brochure with pricing on 4M to 6M boats, rigged with ETecs or 4 stroke Johnsons or Yammies. $20,000 USD for a 5.2M with a 90 Hp. I'm VERY happy with my old Searider looking at that price!

Also, as of Friday, I'm self-employed so assuming I can actually support my family doing it, I'll have more time to play with the RIB and other boats and toys this summer. I'm looking at chartering a little 2.4mR sailboat for the summer that I was sailing in Miami, then buying it at the end of the year. (way too many smilies, can you tell I'm in a REALLY good mood?)
Old 06 February 2005, 07:57   #2

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Congrats on taking the plunge into self-employment and good luck with it. Looking forward to seeing piccies of the RIB and your summer adventures!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2005, 11:35   #3

Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by dctucker
Nice warm Day here in the Boston, MA, USA area, and so I opened up the garage to do some work on the boat. It was actually warm enough to run to the store with the top down on my convertible
Hope the weather continues !! I'm sending the wifew and kid over to friends in Boston on the 19th. I suspect the snow may still be around. It's still my favourite USA city. What career are you moving to ?
Old 06 February 2005, 11:44   #4

Town: Norwalk
Boat name: no name
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: outboard
dctucker -

Congratulations on the decision to go self-employed. I'm preparing to take that big step this summer.

Do you think the winter is over?

I look forward to seeing you down here in Long Island Sound sometime soon.
Old 06 February 2005, 14:33   #5

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
Thanks for the good wishes! Guess I need to modify my profile now!

I'm distributing a website development & ecommerce platform for small to mid-size business, with additional online and traditional marketing services and consulting. I'm a business type, not a creative type, unlike most. I'm actually running off today to a motrocycle show, where my brother-in-law found a lead for me yesterday! Keep your fingers crossed for me that I make a sale, each of which is worth nearly 2.5 weeks salary from my last job

On 19 Feb, I'll actually be in St Petersburg, Florida, returning to Boston the next day. I just booked a flight last night to return to FL for another week of sailboat racing. I'm just itching to make at least one sale before I leave! The snow is melting pretty rapidly, but there was nearly 4' so it will likely still be here when your family arrives. It's supposed to get cold again next week, just as I head south