Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 26 January 2008, 17:03   #1

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
Length: no boat
Is this worth looking at -PACIFIC 11 GPR

Whilst looking in the advert section of the rib internation mag, i found this

PACIFIC 11 GPR, 215H.P. Turbo Diesel (2), sealed cabin, self righting, single lifting catch, A frame, navigation light, 3 radios, bilge pump,

I have been after a cabin rib and this could be a potential option. I know nothing about these boats and it would suggest that this had a commercial life, so would be grateful if people could provide advise please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	211[1].jpg
Views:	404
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	32456  
Old 26 January 2008, 18:18   #2

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Hi,I cant speak from experience other than i have a standard one not ever been on the water yet in one but am told they are the landrover of the sea.For me its the ultimate rib as its sea handle fantastic along side its economy.I have so far found out that parts can be expensive especially the Yamah engine.If this one has been well maintained depending on the price(what is it)I would definately consider it if i wanted a cabin rib.The standard forces one cost new over 100,00
Old 26 January 2008, 18:21   #3

Buy it.
Old 26 January 2008, 18:27   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob View Post
Whilst looking in the advert section of the rib internation mag, i found this

PACIFIC 11 GPR, 215H.P. Turbo Diesel (2), sealed cabin, self righting, single lifting catch, A frame, navigation light, 3 radios, bilge pump,

I have been after a cabin rib and this could be a potential option. I know nothing about these boats and it would suggest that this had a commercial life, so would be grateful if people could provide advise please.
Jimbob, this boat has been on Boats and Outboards for a long time. And reduced in price. I can't help with the specific history of this one - but I think it is the same as used by the belgian lifeboat service. http://users.pandora.be/urbiehome/Lifeboat.html (under the name pacific 36)

If it is the same it has shaft drives and rudder rahter than outdrives more commonly found on ribs - not sure what influence that has on the handling you would typically expect from a rib?

There are a lot less Pacific 11's/36s around than 22's -- so parts and expertise may not be as easy to get.
Old 26 January 2008, 20:08   #5

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
We used to dive out of Portland from one of these. Problem was for a dive boat there was prescous little room despite her length. With the engines against the stern getting in and out with dive dive was a bit of larf. Dekit onto the bathing platform then lift everything over the top of the engine box, hoping you don't loose anything. There was also a problem of fumes, a real problem. At planning speeds the fumes from the diesels would come back on board and smoke out the whole of the rear deck. Cabin space was limited and there is a small area up in the bow for 6 peeps to sit on the tubes.

The owner Del Connolly was quite assute and sold her just as she started to show her age. The next owers also had problems making her pay as a dive boat and sold up. The next owner changed the layout building a new cabin in the bow which did make a difference to the amount of space available.

These are 5 tonne boats, not particularly fast but heavily built. Toobs are huge, probably 26-28" with secondary bags inside. Its a long way down to the water from the top of the toobs. I think the running costs will be high for pleasure use and not sure if it would pay in a commerical role.

Pete
Old 27 January 2008, 08:01   #6

Thanks for the input, Polwart looking at the site you sent me, i was wondering from the picture if the tubes when right round the boat.

I presume the Pacific 11,,,means 11 meter long
Old 27 January 2008, 08:26   #7
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob View Post
Thanks for the input, Polwart looking at the site you sent me, i was wondering from the picture if the tubes when right round the boat.

I presume the Pacific 11,,,means 11 meter long
Yes I believe the tubes do go all round, and yes its 11m long.

What size of cabin rib are you looking for? and do you want to sleep on it or just keep dry when it rains (i.e. wheelhouse or berths or both). I looked at a a Pac22 which had a wheelhouse fitted about a year ago. unfortunately funds wouldn't allow at the time - but it convinced me it was possible. Getting a Pac22 and adding someform of wheelhouse is on my serious options list at the moment. I wonder if Garf has a spare tractor cab?
Old 27 January 2008, 10:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterR View Post
Buy it.
Maybe coming in at five tons dont rush out and buy it .I would be very interested on any info conserning a decent cabin where to look and things to consider as i have plans for the bare hull with tired tubes next year once i,m on the water with Shockwave.Whatever i do will have to end up being of a very good standard and add to the boat rather than de value it
Old 27 January 2008, 10:55   #9
RIBnet admin team

Peter,

I will try to find the pictures I had of the wheelhouse on the Pac I looked at last year. IIRC it was removable (some chunky bolts) so you could reinstate the boat to its "original" state easily enough. I wonder if there are enough people interested here to justify getting a tool designed/built to make a series of pacific 22 cabins?

Neil
Old 27 January 2008, 15:35   #10

Hi Polwart

I will try and answer you question as i am not sure.

I would like a cabin rib that we could berth on properly, not just go to the toilet. However we also like the idea of a cabin to keep us dry (e.g no berthing), if that was the case we would plan our journey and stop in B+Bs. So i am quite flexible.

I like the idea of getting an ex RNLI rib and either converting or just leaving as it is, i want a good workhorse.

Price has also to be a consideration, e.g a Scorpion cabin rib will probably be too expensive.

So basically i am looking what i can get, happy to spend some money on conversion

I think at 5 tons its a bit over the top
Old 27 January 2008, 17:23   #11
RIBnet admin team

Jimbob,

Your wants are probably not that dissimilar to ours. We really want the option to go out in cold or wet weather with young kids and without worrying that we are putting them off the sea for life with a miserable experience. That makes a wheelhouse of some sort very attractive. The flexibility of the fold down/roll away canopies offered by Redbay and Excalibur is appealing too. If we could stretch to 2 berths then even better - but staying ashore is bound to be more comfortable anyway. Our budget is unlikely to run to both. The boats with cabins but no shelter in use are not what we are seeking.

If your budget stretches as far as the 11m pacific then you should give redbay some consideration. You won't get an 11m one for that money but you could get a hard cabin or the "soft top" and depending on specs. engines etc it could be new or just a few years old. I guess that is the dream for us and I had hoped there would be others in the same boat (no pun intended) who would like us not be able to justify the cost for the limited time they would actually use it for - who could share a boat - but so far I have not discovered them (or certainly not enough of them). So we are back looking at cheaper boats and considering adding some sort of protection from the elements.

Good luck hunting!
Old 27 January 2008, 19:22   #12

Old Spice nearly got a cabin conversion 18 months ago. Got as far as making the plug before the winter set in and then sacked the whole idea. First photie was drawn using MS Paint to see what it would look like and then on to a frame before covering it with thin ply. By removing the centre of the deck infront of the console it would have been possible to sit in the cabin with your legs down the hole. Just room to install a marine loo in under the deck as well. There would have been enough room for 2 adults to sleep in the cabin, and a small camping stove. Steering wheel would be in the same place as the white console. The console would have had a flange sitting on the tubes so you could access the tube valves from inside the cabin. The shape of the flange created by laying 4 layers of CSM onto the existing tubes then attaching the frame to the flange.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cabin - 20 Aug 06.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	32467   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0008.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	32468   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0145.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	32469   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0146.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	32470  
Old 27 January 2008, 20:27   #13

Length: 10m +
Engine: 2x610hp jets
these boats weigh in between 8 and 9 tonnes do 22 t0 24 kts flat out and cruise at around 16, iv been to see the one in edinbrugh needs a little tlc
Old 27 January 2008, 21:48   #14

Portland Dive boat,

http://www.protector-diving.co.uk/in...&id=1&Itemid=2

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tempory%20028.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	32472  
Old 28 January 2008, 08:37   #15

Thanks for the info Guys

Tonka, i figured that would be the case, however after understanding how BIG it really was, i had ruled it out
Old 28 January 2008, 12:44   #16
RIBnet admin team

putting a wheelhouse on a Pac22

OK I have delved into the archives of my mailbox and found these pictures of a Pac22 wheelhouse. When I was there I also reread the email and the guy who was selling this boat was planning to go into production with the wheelhouse and GRP engine bay cover. I have mailed him to see if that has come to fruition.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p22 010.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	32483   Click image for larger version

Name:	p22 008.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	32484   Click image for larger version

Name:	p22 014.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	32485  
Old 04 February 2008, 19:08   #17

Town: Limerick
Boat name: Cailín Cáit
Make: RedBay 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Redbay if your looking for a cabin rib!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://redbayboats.com/

If its a cabin rib that your after then you need look no further than redbay. I did a lot of looking before I settled on redbay. In my view they have the best product on the market for the money. You should check out their current preowned boats if you a looking for something for this season. I have a new 7.4 (w/ob 250) on order with a cabin and looks fantastic. Check out "Kado" on their website, mine is a sistership... I was on "Kado" off the west coat of Ireland in a force 8, the seakeeping and comfort on these boats is unsurpassed, as is the quality of the workmanship, pure class. I looked for 18 months to find my boat. There are other cabin ribs on the market but tend to be at the top end of boating budgets...I'll post some photos of my boat "Cailín Cáit" when I collect her at the end of the month......
Old 05 February 2008, 21:39   #18

Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Engine: Suzuki 175
Redbay also

Guys
I too spent much time looking -Redbay came up trumps. Twin berth, Toilet (for the ladies) Seakeeping, Heated cabin or no cabin with removeable canopy, the wrap around gives everything. Collect mine end of March. At last factory visit your hull 'Cailin Cait' was there, build doc was 'same as Kado'I will post an image or two.
Paul
Old 05 February 2008, 22:00   #19

Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Engine: Suzuki 175
seymour bays boat in build

Hi
Late October last year, showed as 'like Kado' so believe that it is your new boat. Keep in touch via PM.
Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP3329.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	32700   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3330.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	32701   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3331.jpg