Old 25 November 2021, 10:42   #1

Town: Lizard
Is this thought process correct?

Hi Everyone. Would really appreciate some help in my thought processes before i start contacting some ribs for sale.

We are a family of 4 (kids are teenagers so grown up) + French mastiff 60kg dog.

We are looking for a rib.

We will be using it mostly just my wife and myself but sometimes with kids + dog (will take precautions with the tube via some tips i already had from other dog owners with Ribs)

We are based in Lizard so ideally we would love to be able to launch from Mullion or (even better but unlikely) Church Cove. I will be using a 4x4 Jeep.

Ideally we would like to use the boat for day trips out to abandoned coves (when Cornwall get busy with tourists) and, if at all possible, once we have gained enough experience, travel to scilly isles to camp on the beach.

Ideally i would have preferred a 5.5m but after talking to a couple of fishermen at Mullion re launching and retrieving from there, I'm leaning towards the smallest boat while keeping the above still possible. So 4.6 maybe 4.8 type size.

Any comments, advice or other pieces of knowledge you can give to someone who is a beginner would be very much appreciated.

Has anyone had any launching experience from Mullion? Will a 4.6 /4.8 be ok for the above? Something like this maybe? https://brig.co.uk/boats/falcon-450/

p.s Just to anticipate some comments, i will be doing my RYA Powerboat Level 2 and i will certainly will not attempt anything stupid before i have much more experience. I'm also a pilot so fully understand the responsibility and respect the unpredictability of nature.
Old 25 November 2021, 11:54   #2

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Hi. What’s the reasons for larger boats being harder to launch? Unfamiliar with area but Assuming your talking about a slipway launch?
Old 25 November 2021, 12:17   #3

I think he means its just a bit more manageable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mullion.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	139344  
Old 25 November 2021, 12:22   #4

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
A boat starting with a 4 will be tiny for 4/5. You'd need to be more careful with weather/tides etc the smaller you go. I would get a bigger boat and launch at more suitable sites such as Penzance Harbour Slipway.
Old 25 November 2021, 12:27   #5

charliee, thanks for your input. Mullion is 12 minutes away from us while Penzance is closer to 1 hour. The distance/time factor is a very important one for us and if im honest, i would rather buy a SIB and forgo the Scilly Isles dream than have to travel 1 hour each way.

looking at the picture i posted, does it look like a 5.5 is a possibility? Do you see a reason why not to go to 5.5?
Old 25 November 2021, 12:32   #6

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
A 4.6 will be fine for you & your wife probably with a double jockey seat as probably a bit small for side by side seats unless you look at a med style bench seat layout. 4.6 will still be fine for runs out to coves etc with the family but they will likely be sitting on the tubes but for good weather occasional use that will be fine.
If you go too large & its a pain to launch & recover you likely wont use it so much. Scilly trips might be a bit ambitious at that size though

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 25 November 2021, 12:43   #7

This is what i was thinking: https://www.rightboat.com/gb/boats-f...-480h/rb396266
Old 25 November 2021, 12:47   #8

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
It's a drying harbour with a shortish steep hard slip that leads onto the sand/loose stones floor of the harbour.
ETA I see the OP has posted a pic while I was composing War & Peace vol 2

These webcams will give you a better idea of the area: www.mullion-cove.co.uk/the-hotel/webcams/

Owned by the National Trust so you might need to have a word with them about launching & any dues.

In the holiday season I can see parking being an issue as the main car park is some distance away up the approach road.

But if he's at Lizard I expect the OP is already aware of this.

Friend lives in Mullion & the NT don't like spending money on the harbour & would much rather let it slowly disintegrate - but it's listed so they can't. They do close parts of it off to the public - especially the larger West pier - claiming danger of falling rocks as the reason.

But if you can launch you've got the whole of Mount's Bay to play with & there are some very nice secluded beaches - Lankidden for one - on the other side of the Lizard.
Old 25 November 2021, 12:52   #9

Thanks paintman. Yeah there is a £5 charge to launch which is payable at the Caffe. Parking not an issue really as i just send my boy to grab the car

Does it look like it may be an issue launching a 5m rib from there? 5.5 maybe even?
Old 25 November 2021, 13:20   #10

Not launched there, I use Coverack with a 17' dory - but have seen others launch various sizes usually with 4x4 & not seen any problems, even when off the slip although they haven't gone too far off it.

Would be wise to check for soft patches if you intend to go off the slip as although 4x4 are capable when they do get stuck it's often in a big way.

If you haven't already done so then it would be an idea to see at what states of the tide you can keep the car on the slip.

Stand to be corrected, but if you stay on the slip then boat size limit is probably going to be down to what you can tow.

I suspect the Mullion fishermen might have concerns about a bigger & heavier boat & trailer sinking in the sand.
Old 25 November 2021, 13:28   #11

Personally I don’t see the difference in launching a 4.8 or a 5.5. I can’t see the extra faff as someone suggested. Once you get beyond 6mtrs towing takes a bit more thought. When it inevitably gets a bit rougher that you thought you will be very glad of that extra meter. Best thing though is try do your PB2 first with someone who has the kind of boat your looking for. You will be very much more qualified to know what you want [emoji4]
Old 25 November 2021, 13:30   #12

Thanks Ian. I was going to try to get it done on my actual boat.
Old 25 November 2021, 13:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
Thanks Ian. I was going to try to get it done on my actual boat.

Yeah it’s also a good plan I did the same many years ago. The actual launching though is mostly about having a system and making easy and safe. Tons on here about that. I’ve frequently waited ages for someone to launch a wee rib then solo launched my 8mtr in ten mins no faffing. Not because I’m particularly good I just had a system and prepped boat pre launch. Up to a point personally I think you’ll always hanker for a bigger boat [emoji23]
Old 25 November 2021, 13:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
The actual launching though is mostly about having a system and making easy and safe. Tons on here about that. I’ve frequently waited ages for someone to launch a wee rib then solo launched my 8mtr in ten mins no faffing. Not because I’m particularly good I just had a system and prepped boat pre launch. [emoji23]

^^^This.

Plus plenty of practice reversing with a trailer attached.
Old 25 November 2021, 14:50   #15

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
I suspect the Mullion fishermen might have concerns about a bigger & heavier boat & trailer sinking in the sand.
No experience from those coves but have re beach launching. I fitted a second winch so can always get the boat and trailer back, as the winch takes the strain when loaded. The problem is the actual launch and pushing detached boat and trailer to sea (ie by hand), especially across the shoreline.

I think any boat heavy enough to need a braked trailer then launching could be a struggle depending on local conditions. Sinking might be overcome with the addition of a second axle but that introduces manoeuvring problems on the hard. In practice it suggests buying a boat <4.8m/50-60hp (500kg?) and there's the bonus of never having the hassle of unseizing brakes.

I wonder if I can get wider 10" trailer tyres? Info gratefully received.
Old 25 November 2021, 14:54   #16

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Having explored the area over the last few years in different boats I'm quite happy to say it was more comfortable in my 6m then in the 4.7.

The larger boat gives you more room, more storage and in the main, better sea keeping, especially on the larger swells that can be picked up that end.

As others have said, 5.5-6m will tow and launch as easy as a 4.5 on the back of a jeep and that site isn't overly steep or restricted once on the beach.

I'd go for the biggest you can, in the range that you've investigated as you'll soon grow out of a smaller boat.

Porthkerris and Cadgwith may give you options too?

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 15:04   #17

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
Having explored the area over the last few years in different boats I'm quite happy to say it was more comfortable in my 6m then in the 4.7.

The larger boat gives you more room, more storage and in the main, better sea keeping, especially on the larger swells that can be picked up that end.
Yes but how much better?

It's easy to become dissatisfied with a smaller boat but fuelling/servicing/launching/licensing/purchase costs rise cumulatively with bigger craft and they take more cleaning and maintenance.

I'd choose the boat according to the most often use and in this case the OP says it's two and not four people. Good layout would be key.
Old 25 November 2021, 15:37   #18

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Go Bigger if you can....a 4.8 RIB can be very capable especially the right marque...
BUT and I've done plenty of Riibing in the area ...and it's not often really benign condition wise ...a small say 4.8 FULLY LOADED RIB is a totally different experience than one or two up!
As for any diifulcty launching/recovery a larger option you'll soon with a little experience take it in you're stride.
For you're needs ...If you can ...Go bigger...is my advice ...you will not regret it

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 16:06   #19

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
I think you'll find anything starting with a 4, way too small for what you want to use it for (4 adults and a big hairy mutt, plus beach kit). I have a 6.0 Humber destroyer which is pretty well loaded for a family beach day so wouldn't want to go below 5.5
I'm not familiar with the launch location but judging by the photos I'd be totally happy launching a 6m boat from there with a good 4x4.
As others have said, get your reversing, launch and recovery routine well practiced and you'll be in and out in a jiffy. As for getting stuck, your trailer will almost certainly have 13" wheels which you can get wider tyres for which will help. Carry a good towrope and maybe some maxxtrax in the truck and you'll have all bases covered.
Go big or go home [emoji16][emoji1787]
Old 25 November 2021, 17:11   #20

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Some useful comments here ,generaly not suggesting any issues with a larger boat ,something i would strongly agree with ,what i would say imo launching a 4metre boat off a bunk trailer is probhably no easier than launching 6 metre off rollers ,you wont need to have your vehicle in the water with a good roller system providing you can get the back end floating in enough depth ! , personally i think your choice of trailer may be a way to open up your possibilities on boat size ,if i lived nearer i would be only too happy to try and launch my r/c 5.3 to try and see either way !