Click Here to Login

Old 03 December 2021, 19:54   #61

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Ribs...40665179427494
Second hand excel here with 40 Suzuki & 4 seats maybe a little small but gets you on the water & a feel for what size you want & probably easily sellable once you do hone your requirements.
Jumping in & buying new could be an expensive experiment if you get it wrong as most folk do with their first boat

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 04 December 2021, 10:18   #62

Town: Lizard
so strange. I just saw that yesterday and came here to ask you a few questions about it. Hope you dont mind if i PM you.
Old 04 December 2021, 15:35   #63

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Nice little highfield here
https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...k-nunn-414530/
Old 04 December 2021, 16:13   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
Looks really nice but not sure it justifies the extra 14k? I think im going to look for a 470 and if i need to make some "adjustments" to the garage door to accomodate the trailer front section then so be it
Old 04 December 2021, 19:32   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
Looks really nice but not sure it justifies the extra 14k? I think im going to look for a 470 and if i need to make some "adjustments" to the garage door to accomodate the trailer front section then so be it
I thought the price was ambitious even though its at my local dealer who is a highfield dealer (may be something to do with no new highfields avail till 2023 i hear.). Secondly if you need dimensions for r/c 5.3 i keep mine at home so just ask ,i think the beam is 2.35 ,however if you want a semi deflated width then i can check it ,if it gets a little milder this week .
Old 05 December 2021, 10:25   #66

Quote:
I thought the price was ambitious even though its at my local dealer who is a highfield dealer (may be something to do with no new highfields avail till 2023 i hear.). Secondly if you need dimensions for r/c 5.3 i keep mine at home so just ask ,i think the beam is 2.35 ,however if you want a semi deflated width then i can check it ,if it gets a little milder this week .
That would be amazing Orwell boy. Also, if you do manage to get out, could you meassure the full length with the trailer (assuming its on the trailer ofc)?
Old 05 December 2021, 19:37   #67

Town: cork
Make: ribcraft
Engine: suzuki DF90A
If its any help, my ribcraft 5.3 on single axel trailer is 6.60 meters from ball hitch to prop with engine tilted up
Old 05 December 2021, 20:00   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokee View Post
If its any help, my ribcraft 5.3 on single axel trailer is 6.60 meters from ball hitch to prop with engine tilted up
Thanks Jokee. I think this confirms my ideal boat would be a 470 max which would mean I probably be able to squeeze it in.
Old 05 December 2021, 20:12   #69

Quote:
That would be amazing Orwell boy. Also, if you do manage to get out, could you meassure the full length with the trailer (assuming its on the trailer ofc)?
Had a measure up for you .........
Boat 5.3 with engine trimmed down nothing added to length
Beam measures 2.33m at widest point ,let some wind out athough not total and easily gained 125mm back for each side so width down to below 2.1 which i think you suggested was your garage entrance
Boat on trailer is 6350 athough my trailer has single front pull bar which could be removed when in garage to leave 5.4 overall length ,
hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211205_155241_8.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	139380   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211205_155255_2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	139381   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211126_124047_5.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	139382  
Old 05 December 2021, 20:27   #70

Quote:
Had a measure up for you .........
Boat 5.3 with engine trimmed down nothing added to length
Beam measures 2.33m at widest point ,let some wind out athough not total and easily gained 125mm back for each side so width down to below 2.1 which i think you suggested was your garage entrance
Boat on trailer is 6350 athough my trailer has single front pull bar which could be removed when in garage to leave 5.4 overall length ,
hope this helps
Oh wow. That means that assuming that the bar can be removed without too much trouble, I will be able to fit a RC 5.3! That抯 great news and widens my options so thank you so much for checking. May I ask what make Trailer is it and did it come from RC?
Old 05 December 2021, 20:49   #71

Quote:
Oh wow. That means that assuming that the bar can be removed without too much trouble, I will be able to fit a RC 5.3! That’s great news and widens my options so thank you so much for checking. May I ask what make Trailer is it and did it come from RC?
Take a close look at picture ,you can see 1 u bolt at the back and two clamping m12 at the front , you will need to drop the winch post away but again just two u bolts ,
This particular trailer is a snipe unbrake launch trailer ,ribcraft usually ride on rapide trailers probhably 1300kg (5.3) i suspect ,rapide and snipe and bramber are all names built (in the same shed ) and owned now by Mersea trailers in essex
My axle may be a little wide for your garage but i didnt measure but i know its 1675mm between mouting rails ,not a worry though , just look for a trailer with a single front towing bar as many now bring a frame all the way to front ,which is not helpful for easy removal of a metre
sorry forgot to suggest you mount a second jockey wheel on the front of the A section for manouvering
Old 05 December 2021, 23:29   #72

Town: cork
Make: ribcraft
Engine: suzuki DF90A
my suggestion (not advice),
Go for the RC 5.3 -
I have no issues launching / retrieving solo - i am a pensioner.
It really is safe and capable when conditions deteriorate, and you probably wouldn't have gone if you had known.
If the trailer won't dismantle to shorten overall length, buy a cover.
I have a top of the range ribcraft cover and am comfortable leaving covered outdoors for off seasons.
I'll try and post photos shortly
Old 05 December 2021, 23:51   #73

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokee View Post
my suggestion (not advice),
Go for the RC 5.3 -
I have no issues launching / retrieving solo - i am a pensioner.
Yes but not solo for a beach launch. That's the dilemma here. Tyres sink. Impossible to pull/push.

I have this issue also on grass on my back garden moving the thing around. And despite installing grass reinforcement tiles. Can't use the car so hand only. Fitted handlebars under the winch helps tremendously but I'm on my limit single handed around 500kg. To get it up a dropped kerb I have to use the second winch, not guaranteed to get the momentum if I take a run at it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NewGrabHandle.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	139384  
Old 06 December 2021, 11:40   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
5.6 forecast for next Saturday, be interesting to see the high & low.
5.5/0.5 today, here's the low:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mullion0.5mLow.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	139385  
Old 06 December 2021, 12:14   #75

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Is it the jockey wheel that causes the most issues?

Worth considering sand mats/waffle boards of the type used for getting vehicles unstuck or as temporary roadways offroading.

If it's just to move the trailer across then no need for the spiky varieties used for vehicle self recovery which aid tyre grip to stop the tyre just spinning.
If something like this type then 4 might be the best bet so you can push from one onto the next without having to drop off & lift back on each time.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Off-Road-4...-/321568300399 (Note that the price is for a pair!)
Old 06 December 2021, 12:32   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
I've been looking at the webcam quite a lot!
The 5.6 high is just short of the tiny bit of slip visible in the bottom left of the webcam.
I think it's on the slip in the bit that unfortunately you can't see.

There's a couple of very low water pics here & you can see obstructions in the harbour mouth which are likely to prevent entry/exit. https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/mull...l-21360599.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-S...0/P1210806.JPG
Old 06 December 2021, 12:45   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Is it the jockey wheel that causes the most issues
No I optimised the noseweight when I fitted a new axle and it's a really fat puncture free jockey wheel.

On reflection I should have specified 100mm PCD instead of like-for-like 4", then I could have fitted 13" wheels which are wider by default. As it stands, I found some wider 10" wheels for sand but they are not cheap.
20.5󭅅0 4Ply 77M Trailer Flotation Tyre 4x 4 Inch PCD

Old 06 December 2021, 13:14   #78

I did wonder as moving single axle caravans by hand on gravel/stone chippings is a PITA as the main wheels roll but the jockey wheel just ploughs.
I've seen jockey wheels with slightly larger inflatable jockey wheels but TBH they really weren't much of an improvement.
Old 06 December 2021, 15:57   #79

Just a thought for the OP on weights.

If your boat & trailer are over 750kg the trailer must have brakes which work on all the trailer road wheels.

These generally don't like being dunked & if you need to have the wheels in the water they need to be flushed with freshwater after use.

Don't leave the handbrake on for long periods esp if you've flushed as the lining material can rust to the drum - can be a PITA to release the brakes.
Some kind person obviously thought on one occasion that I'd forgotten to put mine on & put it on.
I'd flushed & dried the brakes (twin axle) after launch & when I went to get the trailer to recover 4 weeks later they were well stuck. I carry a comprehensive tool kit and would have been in trouble if I hadn't.
I now chain & padlock the lever.

Rust over time can cause the bonded type linings to separate from the shoe. Can then float around inside the drum & might jam.

Water penetrating the brake cables can cause them to seize. Replaced the rears on mine with stainless but I still remove the cables annually & oil as you would with old British motorbike control cables.
Old 06 December 2021, 17:09   #80

Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
That is the lowest I have seen Mullion..normally even at low tide there is a little more water in the harbour.
I launched my rib a couple of hours after low tide and I kept my car on the cobbled ramp and pushed the trailer into the water by hand and recovered back on to hardstanding with a rope around the tow hitch. The nice thing is there is a set of sturdy steps for thert of the family to board.