Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 08 April 2013, 08:53   #1

Length: no boat
Engine: 135Hp 2stroke
MMSI: 3596
Is this motor going to fit :)

Anyone here had an Osprey Eagle with a large motor?
I’ve currently got an old Mercury 135 plus a Yamaha 2.5hp all hanging off the back but would like to replace them both with a single more modern engine, I’ve got the offer of a 2003 Yamaha 250 2stroke with very little hrs, my logic is the Mercury will cruise at 35+mph and hit 47 flat out, with the 250 I was hoping it would allow me to cruise at 40+ with much less revs or strain on the motor, plus the top end would be much higher if needed J

My concern is will it fit and will the rib take it, I’m not sure of the dry weight of my Merc but I can’t see it been much difference, and my second question is would a boat shop fit a oversize engine when the osprey states its max size is 120hp I think.
Thanks J
Old 08 April 2013, 09:10   #2

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crezzlin View Post
Anyone here had an Osprey Eagle with a large motor?
I’ve currently got an old Mercury 135 plus a Yamaha 2.5hp all hanging off the back but would like to replace them both with a single more modern engine, I’ve got the offer of a 2003 Yamaha 250 2stroke with very little hrs, my logic is the Mercury will cruise at 35+mph and hit 47 flat out, with the 250 I was hoping it would allow me to cruise at 40+ with much less revs or strain on the motor, plus the top end would be much higher if needed J

My concern is will it fit and will the rib take it, I’m not sure of the dry weight of my Merc but I can’t see it been much difference, and my second question is would a boat shop fit a oversize engine when the osprey states its max size is 120hp I think.
Thanks J
Way to big will chine walk like a bitch, been on one with 150 merc was horrible above 40 knots
Old 08 April 2013, 09:18   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
This is a multi part answer:

1) Will your insurance want to play? Only a call to them & an answer (in writing) wil lanswer that.

2) You are proposing to nearly double the boat's rated HP. Most transoms will be build with a bit of safey margian in their construction, but you will be bl**dy lucky if it survives double, regardless of the make of boat..... And then there's the deadweight of the engine. A 250Hp is going to clock in significantly heavier than a Low 100s machine, regardless how many strokes. Generally the "one lump fits all HPs" normally only kicks in above about 180-ish HP. Plenty of 130s share with as low as 90 - There are lots of old brochures here - go look at the data.

Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years!

You are also talking about removing the aux. Have a search - there are plenty of discussions around main reliability / Seastart etc etc, but at a basic level you are still replacing the Merc (presumably a known reliable runner?) with an as yet unproven 10YO engine...... Also depending o nthe afge of the merc, if you got a Clamshell they are ridiculously light when compared to other engines of the same vintage. (My 60 is only 15Kg heavier than the 25HP that was on my SR4...

I guess if speed is your ultimate goal and you don't mind a massive rebuild of your transom and some potentially atrocious handling / chine walking etc there's nothing to stop you. I'm sure the racing bods wil lbe along soon to tel lyou the best way to go if you decide to go.
Old 08 April 2013, 09:22   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
My first thought is that this is a very good troll attempt.

I really hope it is.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2013, 09:55   #5

Length: no boat
Engine: 135Hp 2stroke
MMSI: 3596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
My first thought is that this is a very good troll attempt.

I really hope it is.
It was worth asking wasnt it..

The Merc i have is a 87 model, it’s been ok for the last year, ive only replaced the plugs and filters.. It can be a pain to start once hot but when she goes its no problem, as much as i love the Merc i would like to cross over to Scotland and Ireland at weekends when the weather is good.

I didn’t think the motor weight would be much of a difference but i will take your words for it, my mate has an Osprey sparrow hawk, we just put a Merc 150 on and its now pulling away from me, i understand i can’t have the best of both worlds for the money but the 250 was at a good price, looks like i will need to cross the pond and find something around the same size as now.
Old 08 April 2013, 10:05   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Notwithstanding the weight issue & assuming the new engine has a rev limiter, you "could" prop it to limit its max speed to to mid 40s. I'm thinking a 17 or 19" 4 blade prop. This would limit your top end but give you "interesting"
Holeshot. Or you could be sensible.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2013, 15:52   #7

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crezzlin View Post
It was worth asking wasnt it..

i would like to cross over to Scotland and Ireland at weekends when the weather is good
Don't ditch the Aux! ....or go twins!

In all seriousness, if your mate going a bit faster is your only issue, move some weight around the boat & play with the engine trim - plenty of posts out here about how to optimise that.

Does it stay afloat? - time to clean / antifoul?

etc etc.

Or go when the weather is a bit sh!ttier - then the lumpy water will slow him down to match you!
Old 09 April 2013, 23:30   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Don't ditch the Aux! ....or go twins!
not sure a 2.5HP on a boat that size is going to be much serious help though...

...especially if the transom has fallen off!
Old 10 April 2013, 04:38   #9

Town: Sandpoint, Idaho
Boat name: Searider
Make: Avon SR 5.4
Engine: Yamaha 70hp 2 stroke
"I’ve currently got an old Mercury 135 plus a Yamaha 2.5hp all hanging off the back but would like to replace them both with a single more modern engine, I’ve got the offer of a 2003 Yamaha 250 2stroke..."

You can't be serious? On second thought, I wouldn't mind seeing that for the entertainment value.
Old 10 April 2013, 05:22   #10

Town: Leicestershire
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70 HP 2 st

Your Mercury 135 engine weight is 172 kg